PDA

View Full Version : gremlins 2

candyman
17-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. A visit to my friendly local auto-electricians confirms that the battery is duff. As it was only fitted by my local nsx dealer 9 months ago I should be able to get it replaced. Unfortunately, just after Japfest I had a prostate problem requiring the fitting of a catheter for about 6 months. Call me picky but I found that having a tube stuck up one of my favourite organs diminished my lust for many things , which didn't help my battery or love life! My motor is approaching 8 years old and although it has only done 15000 (s)miles ,should I have the cambelt replaced, and is it about a grand or so? Thanks again to everyone who replied to my message.

Sudesh
17-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Yes, you are past the timing belt service time scale!

Price depends on who you use and where you locate parts. If using a main dealer and having them supply the parts the yor looking at around £1200 to £1400, again depends on the dealer.

My car has just over 20k, and I'm about to do the same service. But im also changing the water pump, fuel filter, valve adjustment, AC and alternator belt, replacing many seals that are recommended, spark plugs, and I might do the Lost Motion Sensors. The crank pulley is also recommended to change, as I have already done this a few months ago I'm fine.

NSXGB
17-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Lost motion sensors...? You mean Lost motion assemblies I would think?
Are yours noisy at 20k or just replacing them while you are there for the better units?

Yes, you are past the timing belt service time scale!

Price depends on who you use and where you locate parts. If using a main dealer and having them supply the parts the yor looking at around £1200 to £1400, again depends on the dealer.

My car has just over 20k, and I'm about to do the same service. But im also changing the water pump, fuel filter, valve adjustment, AC and alternator belt, replacing many seals that are recommended, spark plugs, and I might do the Lost Motion Sensors. The crank pulley is also recommended to change, as I have already done this a few months ago I'm fine.

Sudesh
17-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Lost motion sensors...? You mean Lost motion assemblies I would think?
Are yours noisy at 20k or just replacing them while you are there for the better units?

Yeah all the same lol

Not noisy, just replacing them while Im there and changing to later spec.

Senna88
17-04-2012, 02:18 PM
If you can wait, I'm going to Canada in May and am planning on buying a few sets of crank pulleys, timing belts and water pumps with the intention of selling them when I'm back (end of May). If you're interested let me know, they'll be significantly cheaper than Honda UK prices!

NSXGB
17-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Hope you get plenty of excess baggage, those crank pulleys are very heavy..

If you can wait, I'm going to Canada in May and am planning on buying a few sets of crank pulleys, timing belts and water pumps with the intention of selling them when I'm back (end of May). If you're interested let me know, they'll be significantly cheaper than Honda UK prices!

Senna88
17-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Hope you get plenty of excess baggage, those crank pulleys are very heavy..

5.2lbs according to Tim of oemacuraparts! I've got 40kg of allowance and I usually travel light (14kg or so) so should be plenty.

NSXGB
17-04-2012, 06:54 PM
FYI, I just weighed the spare in my garage, in box, which is for a manual car and it's a shade under 8.5lbs.

Sudesh
17-04-2012, 06:59 PM
FYI, I just weighed the spare in my garage, in box, which is for a manual car and it's a shade under 8.5lbs.

That's sound more like it! I have one in the garage also and remember it being quite heavy. Auto pulley is different but not sure on weight. Kaz would know.

NSXGB
17-04-2012, 07:12 PM
That's sound more like it! I have one in the garage also and remember it being quite heavy. Auto pulley is different but not sure on weight. Kaz would know.

Yes, I thought 5lbs was a bit optimistic, the auto pulley has holes in the side, so may be a bit lighter.

AR
17-04-2012, 07:12 PM
In my cromagnon hands feels a lot lighter than a 5 kg dumbbell so 8.5 lbs sounds about right!

Problem Child
17-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe its a red one....apparently they weigh more!

Senna88
17-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes, I thought 5lbs was a bit optimistic, the auto pulley has holes in the side, so may be a bit lighter.

Oh. Hmmmm just re-read the email, my apologies the crank pulley is 8.4lbs the water pump is 5.2lbs!

Sudesh
17-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh. Hmmmm just re-read the email, my apologies the crank pulley is 8.4lbs the water pump is 5.2lbs!

New Water pump in its packaging weighs 4lbs, in a small light box, it's still 4lbs. But I would wrap it up well and protect the blades on the pump, especially if your putting it all together in a bag and then letting it go on board as luggage. You knw what those guys are like at throwing your luggage on and off the plane

Nick Graves
18-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Thankfully, they don't x-ray your bags leaving the US!

I wonder what the dumbasses would think you were smuggling? A new killer reactor probably!

Hagasan
18-04-2012, 09:53 AM
lol but they do actually x-ray them...

When I was coming back from the US 18 months ago I had quite a few car and motorbike bits in my carry on. Stupidly I didn't think of the whacking club potential of my gearbox i/p shaft! Having said that that wasn't the reason they wanted to open my bag. On the scanner they said the arrangement of all the other parts with the shaft took on the profile of a machine gun!! Luckily my mate was still waiting before I walked through so I was able to pass the shaft back to him to post on to me.....

I wonder what the dumbasses would think you were smuggling? A new killer reactor probably!

kingsley
18-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi Senna88

Just seen you are going to Canada in May....What part of Canada are you going too. We normally go twice a year to Calgary ....and know a guy with red supercharged NSX ....I brought some bits back last year for the car. You are right they are cheaper in Canada but not as cheap as in the states. Have a good holiday.

Kingsley

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. A visit to my friendly local auto-electricians confirms that the battery is duff. As it was only fitted by my local nsx dealer 9 months ago I should be able to get it replaced. Unfortunately, just after Japfest I had a prostate problem requiring the fitting of a catheter for about 6 months. Call me picky but I found that having a tube stuck up one of my favourite organs diminished my lust for many things , which didn't help my battery or love life! My motor is approaching 8 years old and although it has only done 15000 (s)miles ,should I have the cambelt replaced, and is it about a grand or so? Thanks again to everyone who replied to my message.
Hi, candyman.
Sorry to hear your condition and hope you have fully recovered now.

Regarding the Timing Belt (TB) and Water Pump (WP) service in UK, the main dealer will charge you 4.0Hr for just the TB service and additional 0.5Hr for TB+WP service.
Therefore, the labour charge will be about GBP400 – 450.
For this level of service, it should be just 1 day service.

The total cost depends on the parts price especially, which parts you are going to replace at the same time.
Labour charge won’t be affected too much because most of the parts should be removed/replaced any way.

With the standard service, I’m quite sure they will replace the gaskets and seals associated with the valve covers and probably replace the seals at the TB covers.
If you don’t ask, they won’t replace the WP, Crank pulley, A/C & ACG belts, etc.

I don’t understand the business model of setting the price for the OEM Parts in UK because it’s loosing so many customers because of the price difference compared to US and Japan.
Best to get the parts from outside UK.
For example, HUK will ask you about GBP447 (inc.VAT) for the Crank Pulley and even you ask for some discount for that, you can get the same parts at about GBP150 in US and even you pay for the delivery/tax/fee, it’s still much cheaper.
Norton Way Honda seemed to be fine installing the parts provided by the owners so that's one option for you.

Based on your other post, I believe your NSX is quite close to the last production year model.
If that is the case, the TB service interval for UK later model is either every 72K miles or 8yrs whichever comes first.
Earlier model has different service interval (every 60K miles or 5yrs).

Personally, I strongly recommend replacing the WP at the time of TB service regardless of your annual mileage.
You are going to rely on the WP for the next 8yrs and do you have enough data to say any WP will last for 16yrs?
I have already seen several WP seizure on NSX well before this period and there is no point in taking the risk if you calculate the cost of WP over the 8yrs period.

Kaz

Senna88
18-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Senna88

Just seen you are going to Canada in May....What part of Canada are you going too. We normally go twice a year to Calgary ....and know a guy with red supercharged NSX ....I brought some bits back last year for the car. You are right they are cheaper in Canada but not as cheap as in the states. Have a good holiday.

Kingsley

Hi Kingsley,

I'll be heading to Toronto for the first time in years, and then crossing the border to pick up the parts from Buffalo :)

I've never been to Calgary, is the snow good over there? Its not far from the Rockies is it?

Senna88
18-04-2012, 12:03 PM
New Water pump in its packaging weighs 4lbs, in a small light box, it's still 4lbs. But I would wrap it up well and protect the blades on the pump, especially if your putting it all together in a bag and then letting it go on board as luggage. You knw what those guys are like at throwing your luggage on and off the plane

I'm hoping to just check it in as a box with plenty of bubble wrap and polystyrene, do you think that'll be enough?

I'm not planning on making a business out of this by the way (partly because I doubt there's enough demand! :p) but if I'm going there anyway and picking up a set myself, I might as well try and help the community out at the same time :)

kingsley
18-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi Senna88, Very close, just a short drive and you are in a different world... my favorite place Canada.....never been to Toronto. We have a house in Calgary so we go as often as we can.....Alberta and BC hard to beat. I have been looking to try and hire a Corvette next year to drive across from Vancover to Calgary with some friends in Calgary who have Corvettes. Not easy. Dealerships are great over there we have had cars for the afternoon on test, no problem. Two weeks hire....not so lucky... Will keep looking.

Kingsley

PeterW
19-04-2012, 04:26 PM

I've had a couple of near misses where I was carrying car parts in cabin baggage, which they saw on the x-ray and wanted to confiscate. One was with a crankshaft pulley. I had checked the carry-on baggage policy and couldn't see anywhere where it said big lumps of metal would be a problem. Nevertheless, US security weren't happy. On that trip I was flying via Paris, and the French security people were even less happy. I really thought I was going to kiss au revoir to my pulley. What did they think I was going to do, hurl it discus style across the cabin?

My conclusion is to put all car parts in hold baggage.

BTW, they screen not only your hand baggage but also your hold luggage. If they see something they don't like the look of (v. likely if it contains car part), they will open you bag .... and if it's locked they don't care. They just break the locks. I speak from experience. The solution is to put a padlock or strap round your bag with a US TSA lock on it. In theory, this allows security people to open your bag but not the thieves .... Info on TSA locks at this link. You can buy them in the UK, but there's more selection in the US.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

Peter

nigel
19-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Just a side note to the tb / wp change.
I ALWAYS also change the timing belt tensioner pulley as well. Not expensive at all.
I had the bearing fail on one of my Preludes and BANG went the timing belt. Thank goodness the '85 -'87 Preludes aren't interference engines which I didn't even know. New tensioner and belt and away I go but with the NSX ......?$$$$$$$$

Cheers
nigel