PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof, who's going to try it lol

Sudesh
22-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Posted this years ago, thought Id throw it up to see other owners reactions!

[no I won't be doing it to mine]

http://pws.gamewood.net/~wilsonpm/Auto/images/nsx/LeftSunroofInside.jpg
http://pws.gamewood.net/~wilsonpm/Auto/images/nsx/SunroofControl.jpg
http://pws.gamewood.net/~wilsonpm/Auto/images/nsx/DomeLight.jpg

Sudesh
22-04-2012, 10:36 PM
http://pws.gamewood.net/~wilsonpm/Auto/images/nsx/LeftSunroof.jpg
http://pws.gamewood.net/~wilsonpm/Auto/images/nsx/RightSunroof.jpg
http://pws.gamewood.net/~wilsonpm/Auto/images/nsx/FrontLeftAbove2.jpg

TheSebringOne
22-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Only our colleagues over the pond would do this!

I wonder its added some weight, ie glass heavier than Alu?

Senninha
23-04-2012, 07:10 PM
It simply reinforces the fact that the NSX should always have been a Targa :)

Problem Child
23-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Not only a waste of a godd NSX, its a black one!

Only yanks could do this!

Papalazarou
23-04-2012, 08:26 PM
It's nearly as gross as white alloys;). Oh and has anyone been clothes shopping recently? The bastards are trying to make us all look like George Michael. Again;(

Cheers,

James.

Hagasan
23-04-2012, 08:28 PM
To be fair, the idea isn't a bad one. Quite possibly on that age of car, when it was done, the owner like most will have had no idea that a targa was going to come along. And if you live in a predominately sunny climate then the desire is understandable.
I actually fitted an electric tilt & slide roof in my Toyota Supra back in 91. The Targa's at the time were only JP/US/Aus market cars before all the grey imports started coming in here.

I have a spare Targa roof unit and have thought of dismantling it to it's basic panel and seeing if I could get a company to make an acrylic version of it thus creating a targa panel that allows light in. I think this would be a winner in the US but expensive to do properly. I just like a bit of light in a cars roof.....

There were a few early NSX's with the whole roof chopped of, again in the US and before the Targa was introduced. I know it's shunned by most but now the Avenger cars has been made up (from an early car rebodied and thus a roof chop) it seems some folk are getting all moist about that......

Having said, I wouldn't

havoc
23-04-2012, 08:40 PM
If you CAN reinforce the roof and pillars enough, then there's no real problem with converting a coupe to a targa. Also can see the logic of a transparent targa panel.

markc
23-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Can you even buy aftermarket sunroof's these days, they're sooo 1980's :D

I guess it kind of goes with the cassette player though :laugh:

Mark

nigel
23-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Leave it to the yanks to do this, (and I am one) and the previously shown "drop head" NSX.
Thank goodness it wasn't a GPW car.

Cheers
nigel

Sudesh
23-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Leave it to the yanks to do this, (and I am one) and the previously shown "drop head" NSX.
Thank goodness it wasn't a GPW car.

Cheers
nigel

The facelift convertible I thought was very nice! I'd buy one for cruising, would even take it in auto lol

Papalazarou
23-04-2012, 10:15 PM
And what about those turn-ups?

Cheers,

James.

gumball
24-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Billy Idol has a mobile fitting service..
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/bam.jpg

TheSebringOne
24-04-2012, 11:08 PM
:eek: Is that a Lambo Gallardo!! :cantlook:

gumball
25-04-2012, 10:00 AM
:eek: Is that a Lambo Gallardo!! :cantlook:

Bam Margera's(to right) done on his TV show some years back. The sunroof didn't look to bad after it was sorted professionally afterwards. (I looked it over at the gumball rally in London). :)

Nick Graves
26-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I used to see an X-1/9 with a sunroof. Talk about redundancy!

I find them a CWOT.

gumball
26-04-2012, 05:24 PM
I used to see an X-1/9 with a sunroof. Talk about redundancy!

I find them a CWOT.

Light without cold? great idea. (I didn't take the roof off much in mine) :D
But nice of you to find them a 'cutie with outsized t1ts', or did I read the abbreviation wrong? ;)lol

TheSebringOne
26-04-2012, 10:49 PM
The X1/9 was a targa, why would you want a sunroof! :dunno:

Nice car as I had an late 1988 for over a decade until 2 years ago.

Seeing these two mid engine cars side by side was interesting!

gumball
27-04-2012, 08:40 AM

To let in the sun without letting in/out the wind. :Bigsmile:
(presuming it was a glass one)
A lovely fun car to drive the X1/9, if only they didn't make them water soluble.

paulc
27-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Seems many of us had an X19, I had a 1979 1.3ltr lovely little car. Closed the door one day and the outside door panel fell off!! It was totally rusted through!!

Nick Graves
27-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Especially some of the structure round the engine bay area. Hmmm, looks familiar.

The X1/9 also had an early version of RWS - copied by the Porsche Boxster!

The later cars (with two-pack paint) were a lot less soluble. Same approximate BQ and mechanical frangibility though.

Absolutely fantastic drive, though.

If only a big company had been interested in low-volume production & kept it up to date. Hang on, do I mean FIAT or Honda? I've forgot.

scottg
27-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Especially some of the structure round the engine bay area. Hmmm, looks familiar.

The X1/9 also had an early version of RWS - copied by the Porsche Boxster!

The later cars (with two-pack paint) were a lot less soluble. Same approximate BQ and mechanical frangibility though.

Absolutely fantastic drive, though.

If only a big company had been interested in low-volume production & kept it up to date. Hang on, do I mean FIAT or Honda? I've forgot.

The early 1300cc X19's were the best to drive. When they facelifted them and put in the 1500cc engine I think most of the power upgrade just covered the extra wieght of the horrible american impact style bumpers. I worked with a guy who had the 1300cc and the handling was fantastic, when he upgraded to the 1500cc car it was a big disappointment by comparison.

gumball
27-04-2012, 07:44 PM
The early 1300cc X19's were the best to drive. When they facelifted them and put in the 1500cc engine I think most of the power upgrade just covered the extra wieght of the horrible american impact style bumpers. I worked with a guy who had the 1300cc and the handling was fantastic, when he upgraded to the 1500cc car it was a big disappointment by comparison.

The Lido is particularly pretty,
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/lido.jpg

TheSebringOne
29-04-2012, 12:23 AM
What was nice about the X1/9 is the steering, better than the MR2 that it inspired and apparently
better a 348. Rust was its achilles heal, spent thousands on her & then waxoiled her like mad!

Typically some of the best handling cars were unassisted steering but then again it only had 85 bhp.

paulc
29-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Very nice mine was bronze.

Nick Graves
29-04-2012, 01:06 PM

They lengthened the rear springs & increased the static toe settings, in order to stop tyros reversing through hedges. Again, doesn't matter which car I'm talking about...

With 20/20 hindsight a lot of the issues were fixable. Except the inertia reel seatbelts made the 1500s faaar more cramped than the lower original buckets. Non-engineering at its worst.

I must admit I did toy with the idea of a Eurosport body kit in order to lose the Aluminium ingots. I also toyed with the idea of a Janspeed Turbo kit. But after it had a couple more breakdown I toyed with the idea of kicking it in the head & turned all Japanese instead.