PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Aero 8..?

Ewan
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
What do we think of these Mogs? Has anyone driven one?

I was musing over what might come next after the NSX (which, though I'd love to keep it, I think I'll end up selling). Criteria?

Unusual, some might say ungainly (NSX rear end is an acquired taste for some, isn't it?)
Makes a great noise (side exit exhausts, v8 woofle - what's not to like?)
Grand Tourer rather than track day weapon (If I wanted a track car, I'd get a Caterham)
Holds value well (7 year old cars selling for £10-15k less than new)
Now I've nearly talked myself into it by looking at pictures on the internet, anyone wanna buy a facelift targa NSX :-)?

Problem Child
07-05-2012, 07:14 PM
It would have to be a Ford GT40 or an E type convertible for me

AR
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Actually I was looking at them as they tick a lot of boxes!

TheSebringOne
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Never driven one, but has a great BMW V8 engine & running gear.

Good article in PH a few weeks ago as follows:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25595

Senninha
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Ewan,

I like the look and nostalgia around the 'classic' ones, have never driven one, and feel a little cold about the newer models .. always believed them to be a relatively safe place to put your ££ for some motoring pleasure, so if it floats your boat, go for it. And when you do get one, bagsy a passenger ride to know what all the fuss is about please ....

regards, Paul

gumball
08-05-2012, 06:53 AM
I like Mr Morgan ok but his cars are horrifically ugly.

havoc
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Looks are more marmite than the NSX (esp. so for the pre-facelift cross-eyed ones), but I've got a real soft-spot for them - woofly BMW V8 with plenty of power, FR roadster chassis, and a classic British badge.

As above - if you get one, I'm 2nd on the list for a passenger ride!

nobby
08-05-2012, 06:34 PM
as much as i like the 8's and i do like morgan's, i dont think it would be as nice as ur face lifted nsx

interesting article on ph re it

NSXGB
08-05-2012, 08:05 PM
When can I take delivery of your NSX Ewan? :)

Ewan
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I saw the article on PH recently; maybe that's what rekindled my "hmmmmm" instinct, I dunno...

It might be pure vanity, but one thing I love in the NSX is when driving through a town, looking in the mirror to see who's turned round for a look. I suspect in a Morgan, one might get as many looks as in the NSX? Not necessarily as many *approving* looks, mind ;)

And Simon, maybe if you'd like to buy my NSX, you should take a look at it at Japfest on Saturday ;)

cheers
Ewan

NSXGB
08-05-2012, 11:36 PM
....unfortunately not going to Japfest....

AR
08-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Fast light and great brakes and suspension what else one needs.

Nostalgia bark with plenty of bite!

Plus great value too.

Dragonlady
09-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Don't forget it gets seviced by Rentokil, timber division!

ConorNZ
09-05-2012, 07:06 PM
I thought about one of these - to drive they would be great. But the research I did on owner's comments is what made me chicken out. This is a low volume hand built car, and not the good kind from Honda! If you're patient it would be great. But I was coming from an old Aston Virage that was such a painful experience it put me off taking another gamble.

Then again, you only live once!

Ewan
09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Very true, you have to wonder just how shonky the build quality is or where the design wasn't quite right...

But then again, who wants every day reliability and predictability ;-)

gumball
09-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't like the look of them but I think build is probably Ok they have done the gumball a few times, including Charles Morgan three or four, I don't recall any major problem regarding these entrances, Mercedes SLR though...

Ewan
11-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Took an Aero 8 out for a spin today and I have to say it's a right hoot. Hilariously blarty noise on power, so much so I'd be tempted to drive it everywhere like "bumble, bumble, bumble, blaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrt, bumble, bumble, blaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrt".

The driving position is weird since the seat back doesn't adjust, and the only way to get the right distance to the pedals is to sit with the steering wheel in your chest - the classic British roadster style, I suppose. It felt a bit "home made" with exposed wiring clearly visible through the dash and the like, but it certainly has character. Things that would put me off:

* Quite a small boot, and not a lot of stowage in the cabin (though the NSX has precious little of that), though there is a bit of space behind the seats, under where the hood sits.
* Not sure if the seats would be all that comfortable on long runs - they're a funny shape and with no backrest adjustment or lumbar support, I could see them getting a bit tough for transcontinental drives.
* The look is definitely love/hate. I don't think the headlights are such a big deal, actually. From one or two angles they are minging, but from most they're merely "interesting". The rear end is a bit of a mess with a ducktail type bootlid (presumably trying to give it a bit more capacity) and round lights that look like the sort of thing you'd pick up at an autojumble.

Things that would make me buy one:
* The noise.
* The gearchange is swwwweeeeeet (on the one I drove at least)
* The one I drove is supposed to have 400bhp and AP Racing brakes so it goes like stink and stops just as well (though with no electronics to keep you in check, deploying 400bhp in a 1100kg car could be fun).
* The torque curve is great - you could trundle about in 5th at 30mph and still have some poke.

I think the NSX is an entirely different driving proposition; but the Aero could tick lots of other boxes. If only I had a massive garage and a lot of money, I'd have both!

rgds
Ewan

duncan
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Your love/hate bits; look for a Series 1 car, a slimmer boot without the ducktail; or the last version with Aeromax style front wings with New Mini [rather than New Beetle] headlamps.
Failing all that; the new +8, it is an Aero under a more traditional style body.

Ewan
12-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Good advice, Duncan. I had a peek at a Series 1 and I prefer the size of the S2, tbh. The last, series 4, is probably the one to get but they're still the thick end of £60-70k. And the new +8, more like £80-90k :o

gumball
02-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't like the look of them but I think build is probably Ok they have done the gumball a few times, including Charles Morgan three or four, I don't recall any major problem regarding these entrances, Mercedes SLR though...

Charles won 'spirit of the Gumball' driving in a different Morgan this year. lol
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/8aea4134aa0db28529b15956c3b72d42v4twfa.gif