PDA

View Full Version : B line motorsports

Hondaboy
16-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Was just reading on prime about an air intake made by this company looks good as it mounts in the side vent for cold air intake, anyone heard of or have one of these?

Sorry not posted a link I'm not that technically minded lol if someone else wants to then much appreciated

AR
16-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Stick with the oem box, nothing else has any real advantages.

NSXGB
16-05-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156468

Would love to believe the 14hp power increase but I'm very sceptical...

Sudesh
16-05-2012, 07:37 PM

I would agree, been there done that, ended up putting the OEM box back on, but added one of our larger intake scoops that takes cold air directly from the side, and straight into the air box.

Hondaboy
16-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Ok guys cheers for the advice I wasn't looking for any performance gains really just want to dress the engine bay up a bit and this system looked like it ticked the boxes

Senninha
16-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Very true if everything else is stock. If you've changed the exhaust in isolation then as min you probably need the intake scoop. I changed out for the Procar inbox\scoop and immediately I had better driving \ response.

Just my 2p's worth

nobby
16-05-2012, 11:52 PM
+1

Sudesh's engine scoop with standard air box with uprated exhaust and headers works well indeed

I would agree, been there done that, ended up putting the OEM box back on, but added one of our larger intake scoops that takes cold air directly from the side, and straight into the air box.

paulc
17-05-2012, 07:13 PM
I have got an ACR air box on mine, it was there when I brought the car. Had it apart the other day to clean the filter cannot see any advantage to it! Just a very expensive accessory!!

nigel
17-05-2012, 08:14 PM
K & N filter, inner fender scoup, OEM airbox is the way to go even with OEM headers and exhaust.

Cheers
nigel

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Hi, Hondaboy.

Everyone has different view and also the test conditions won’t be the same so followings are just one example/opinion based on previous tests so may not be the case for some of the NSX out there.

If your engine is 3.0L (C30A, NA1) with no hardware modification such as turbo/super charger, high lift cam shafts, etc and just with aftermarket [header + exhaust box], then there is almost no power gain by modifying the intake system.

In fact, some of the products on the market could actually reduce the performance.

As you mentioned, it will of course change the engine bay appearance and also some of them will increase the intake sound (noise) which makes you think that your NSX is going faster :D.

While the car is moving, the OEM intake chamber and box design are good enough from the point of intake air temperature.
Because of the speed of the intake air, you can’t warm it up or cool it down fast enough with the temperature of engine bay.
In fact, the OEM air box is not getting the air from the engine bay but from the left side intake duct.

You can’t get extra air into the engine unless you can push out the exhaust gas even more efficiently after the use of the equal primary length header, change the exhaust flow layout/method (Mazda Skyactive) or wait for the next generation super computer to simulate the combustion model in more detail so that the car manufactures may be able to come up with individual valve control to improve the pumping loss.

The basic engine technology,
especially the efficiency of burning the fossil fuel hasn’t advanced a lot for many decades.

So much energy is wasted as a heat.

Improving the intake air flow speed by the use of ITB will gain some power (but small) and it is more of a torque curve tuning.

For the same reason, on 3.0L engine with no engine modification apart from header + exhaust, the big bore throttle won’t improve the engine power.

In my view, throttle butterfly is a power restrictor and you want the minimum diameter which allows the max power near WOT (100% Wide Open Throttle).
For the characteristic of NA engine NSX, you want liner throttle map with max power near the WOT.
You can apply big bore throttle but it will only disturb your driveability on non-modified C30A engine.

For example, if you want to 'feel like' increasing the throttle response, you can achieve max power at 50% of the existing throttle travel by introducing the big bore throttle.
With this modification, unless you have super sensitive right foot, you won’t be able to shift the dynamic weight with the throttle control because of On-Off like power curve.

Depending on the amount of extra air, you may need to go through mapping process for individual engine.

If you want a reasonable cost power improvement including fuel mapping, probably better to keep your money at this stage and invest it for the parts required/related for the future installation of super charger, etc.

I personally prefer the NA mechanical tuning but it won’t be cheap especially, if I want to use C32B as the base engine…..

Above comments will be a different story for 3.2L C32B engine even with no mechanical modifications as there is a bottle neck at the throttle body restricting the air flow.

Kaz

NSXGB
18-05-2012, 02:11 PM
You just beat me to it Kaz... :)

greenberet
18-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Dear Kaz, thank you for your post, as always.

Regarding throttle bodies, is the following correct? The amount of horsepower the engine can produce is generally limited by the mass of the air flowing through the intake system. At 274 PS or slightly above that, the mass flow past the throttle of an NSX is not high enough for the throttle body to pose a noticeable restriction. At the horsepower level of a stock NA2 however, the mass flow is high enough that the throttle body does just start to pose a noticeable restriction.

So when sizing a throttle body for an NSX, it seems to me that it would be good to target the same mass flow rate as is achieved in a stock NA1. If NA2s put out 280 PS, it would therefore be good if their throttle bodies had an effective cross section approximately 280/274 times as large as that of an NA1. Does that sound right?

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, the post I deleted above had the same question. I wanted to make the wording clearer and instead of editing the post, I wanted to see what happens if you click on “Delete”. Now I know!