PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend an alarm/ immobiliser....

Problem Child
19-05-2012, 08:59 PM
My 1998 NSXt only has a key operated lock & immobiliser. I want a more modern remote alarm/ mobiliser. Any recommendations?

NSX100
21-05-2012, 08:21 AM
My 1998 NSXt only has a key operated lock & immobiliser. I want a more modern remote alarm/ mobiliser. Any recommendations?

I bought my NSX over 2 years ago with a Clifford alarm already fitted by a previous owner. Hideously complex and useless - it had a life of its own and seemed to want to cause the utmost frustration most of the time. I finally gave up and had it professionally removed and replaced by a Cobra system. Simple, effective and I have never had a problem since. If you want the precise details I can let you know. The work was done by Sextons in London and they were excellent.

There are other threads on here on this subject so a search will help further.

havoc
21-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I went for a Cobra also - alarm only, as my NSX already has chip-in-key immobiliser and I had a bad experience with an S2000 alarm/immob combo (the notiorious dealer-fit Hamilton Palmer system) dying on me.

Cobra has very few 'features' (don't need them), but does have remote boot release, which is useful, and in 2+ years has been just fine.

Installation is key though - if it's installed properly it should be absolutely fine, if it's done cheap you could have trouble, whatever the make.

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-05-2012, 10:13 PM
As havoc mentioned, the most important factor is the installation method.
Even a superior system could become useless/annoyance if it was installed poorly.

I can’t provide you with recommendation on specific models but from my experience and knowledge, if someone seriously targets your NSX, it can be taken away without even starting the engine unless you physically block your garage/driveway/etc with other obstacles.

You need to put priority on what you want from these security devices.

If you want someone not to get too close to your NSX to protect your body work, major manufactures will have capability of including the proximity sensors in the system.

The tracking devices based on the GPS, mobile SIM, etc are the best option however, these professional people who targets these special cars will probably place the car immediately inside the metal container to prevent any signal transmission/reception or leave the car in the open air place for a few days to confirm that there is no tracking devices onboard before start doing something.

Any electrical devices including the security system require power supply so if the car battery was kept disconnected or the external power supply for the security devices was drained, you have slim chance of recovering it.

Kaz

paulc
22-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I have a Cobra system fitted to mine, had no problems with it. Unlike the Clifford system fitted to my GTO, which as somebody has already said seems to have a mind of its own!