PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues plus

Mark N
22-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Hallo everybody

Can anyone give me some quick advice ?
Since having some repair work carried out on my car and a 2002 upgrade done i have been trying to resolve some annoying issues.Unfortunatly i do not get a lot of time to work on my car, due to work and a large house extension taking up most of my free time.I appologise if this information is already available on this forum but again i have not had much time to search and my computer skills are some what limited.

1) Can anyone tell me where I can get good a wiring diagram for NA1 1995 NSX ? or answer the following.
2) Can anyone confirm the colour of the wires going to each horn ?
3) can anyone confirm what is the sensor located on the front nearside next to the horn is . The sensor does have ED05 written on it if that helps.
The horn had stopped working on my car, and a friend who had a quick look said he thought it was a faulty horn.
I removed the horn only to discover there was two ,one high tone and one low tone. After a quick clean up I wired direct to 12v supply and after a little adjustment i got them working but they were intermittant and due to there condition I decided to replace them anyway. whilst disconnecting the horns I found the following :
A)The off side one (High tone ?) had a Gray plug going to it which had a Orange/Black stripe wire and a Black wire in it.
B)The nearside (Low Tone) had a wired Brown plug going to it which had a Green/ Black stripe wire and a Brown wire in it.Coming from the same part of this loom was another plug the same as the off side horn but was this was connected to a sensor (ED05) located near the horn. I think this sensor may be an ambiant temperature sensor due to its location and positioning .Can anyone confirm ? I think these two connectors may have been crossed but im not sure.

I will try to do some more reserch when I get some more time.

many thanks
Mark

Sudesh
22-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Hallo everybody

Can anyone give me some quick advice ?
Since having some repair work carried out on my car and a 2002 upgrade done i have been trying to resolve some annoying issues.Unfortunatly i do not get a lot of time to work on my car, due to work and a large house extension taking up most of my free time.I appologise if this information is already available on this forum but again i have not had much time to search and my computer skills are some what limited.

1) Can anyone tell me where I can get good a wiring diagram for NA1 1995 NSX ? or answer the following.
2) Can anyone confirm the colour of the wires going to each horn ?
3) can anyone confirm what is the sensor located on the front nearside next to the horn is . The sensor does have ED05 written on it if that helps.
The horn had stopped working on my car, and a friend who had a quick look said he thought it was a faulty horn.
I removed the horn only to discover there was two ,one high tone and one low tone. After a quick clean up I wired direct to 12v supply and after a little adjustment i got them working but they were intermittant and due to there condition I decided to replace them anyway. whilst disconnecting the horns I found the following :
A)The off side one (High tone ?) had a Gray plug going to it which had a Orange/Black stripe wire and a Black wire in it.
B)The nearside (Low Tone) had a wired Brown plug going to it which had a Green/ Black stripe wire and a Brown wire in it.Coming from the same part of this loom was another plug the same as the off side horn but was this was connected to a sensor (ED05) located near the horn. I think this sensor may be an ambiant temperature sensor due to its location and positioning .Can anyone confirm ? I think these two connectors may have been crossed but im not sure.

I will try to do some more reserch when I get some more time.

many thanks
Mark

There should be an outside ambient sensor that attaches to the front bumper pretty much in the middle.

Have a look and read through the link below, and go on to the page after also, you should be able to see photos of what you need

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6702-NSX-Refresh/page42

Mark N
22-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Many thanks suddish.
I have just had a look at the link and it does seem to confirm my first thought about the sensor being an ambient sensor although the positioning is different. It also looks like the wiring in the pictures going to the horns are the same colour although slightly different to mine. The plug on the sensor looks the same colour (Brown) as the one on my nearside horn ,that i think is crossed.
I was wondering do you know if the colour on the moulded plugs have any relivance as they seem to be iddentical in same shape and size ?

Thanks
Mark

Sudesh
22-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Many thanks suddish.
I have just had a look at the link and it does seem to confirm my first thought about the sensor being an ambient sensor although the positioning is different. It also looks like the wiring in the pictures going to the horns are the same colour although slightly different to mine. The plug on the sensor looks the same colour (Brown) as the one on my nearside horn ,that i think is crossed.
I was wondering do you know if the colour on the moulded plugs have any relivance as they seem to be iddentical in same shape and size ?

Thanks
Mark

The plugs to both horns should be grey, the plug to ambient sensor should be brown!

Very possible with the upgrade on your car that they were put back in wrong. If you have access to a multimeter, just put that in the plugs, and press the horn button, watch for the readings to jump will show you have the right plug on the right place.

Mark N
23-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks again suddish
I had another quick look this evening. yes the plug was put back incorrectly. I checked the plugs to the horn with a multimeter whilst activating the horn and got nothing. Do you know where I can get a wiring schematic for the horn circuit or a good manual as I do not have either.I did download a manual from the internet but that does not seem to show the information i require.
I also have an aftermarket quick release steering wheel so understanding the way its actually wired will help fault finding.

Many thanks again
Mark

Nick Graves
23-05-2012, 04:38 PM
You have checked the fuse & are the relays clicking?

Justin Case it didn't like being wired arse/face.

Sudesh
23-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks again suddish
I had another quick look this evening. yes the plug was put back incorrectly. I checked the plugs to the horn with a multimeter whilst activating the horn and got nothing. Do you know where I can get a wiring schematic for the horn circuit or a good manual as I do not have either.I did download a manual from the internet but that does not seem to show the information i require.
I also have an aftermarket quick release steering wheel so understanding the way its actually wired will help fault finding.

Many thanks again
Mark

That's SUDESH lol

Mark can you share more info on your steering wheel setup? Did you install it?

Depending on the hub you used, you will have either retained the SRS slip reel or, have had to remove the reel and then take the horn signal from the SRS plug itself on the main loom tat goes to the SRS reel.

Mark N
24-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Suddish

No the steering wheel was already installed when i purchased the car .
I have now got an electrical schematic diagram so i am going to have another look probably not until the weekend. I dont know how the power has been picked up at the steering wheel yet but i will let you know how i get on. Interesting about the SRS comment as the SRS light is on on the dashboard which was going to be my next job to investigate after the horns so they could be related.

Hi Nick
No i have not checked the fuse and relay as I was not sure which was the correct fuse and which relay it was but I now have this information so I am going to check that next.

Many thanks forall your advice

Mark

Mark N
29-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Update

I have replaced both horns ,Checked fuse in main fuse box ,Checked relay ,Checked feed to and from coil of relay all OK. So it appears the problem is at the horn button itself. Removed stearing wheel and there is no feed to the horn button so when pressed to groung horn relay nothing.My steering wheel is a aftermarket SPARCO with a quick release hub. It looks as if the power has been taken from the larger of the two plugs behind the sterring wheel which joins the SRS harness.

This is where i am lost the SRS light appeared on the dash board about the same time as i noticed the horns not working . I have checked the fuses in the passenger footwell that feed the SRS system and they are ok.According to information i have obtained the next step is to check the SRS system for faulty parts poor connections etc but you need some test lead harnesses to do this.

My question is this is this correct , if so do I have to buy these test leads from Honda and how much will they be . Does anyone know another way I can do this ?
Is there anyone in the kent area that might already have such leads who could help or am I missing something simple.(Cannot see the woods for the trees):dunno:

I have taken some pictures of the steering wheel set up (wiring) etc to add to this post but I have not worked out how to download to the forum yet.

Mark

Sudesh
29-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Update

I have replaced both horns ,Checked fuse in main fuse box ,Checked relay ,Checked feed to and from coil of relay all OK. So it appears the problem is at the horn button itself. Removed stearing wheel and there is no feed to the horn button so when pressed to groung horn relay nothing.My steering wheel is a aftermarket SPARCO with a quick release hub. It looks as if the power has been taken from the larger of the two plugs behind the sterring wheel which joins the SRS harness.

This is where i am lost the SRS light appeared on the dash board about the same time as i noticed the horns not working . I have checked the fuses in the passenger footwell that feed the SRS system and they are ok.According to information i have obtained the next step is to check the SRS system for faulty parts poor connections etc but you need some test lead harnesses to do this.

My question is this is this correct , if so do I have to buy these test leads from Honda and how much will they be . Does anyone know another way I can do this ?
Is there anyone in the kent area that might already have such leads who could help or am I missing something simple.(Cannot see the woods for the trees):dunno:

I have taken some pictures of the steering wheel set up (wiring) etc to add to this post but I have not worked out how to download to the forum yet.

Mark

Thats why I asked about your steering setup.

I would start by removing the wheel and hub, you need to see how the power is being fed to the hub from the SRS plug, for my NSX-R hub, power [positive signal] is taken from the SRS plug and then setup to touch the copper ring at the base of the hub, there is no negative wire taken from the hub, the ground signal wire should b attached to the inside of the hub and grounds itself on the steering shaft itself.

Im not familiar with the quick release setup. But I would still remove wheel and hub and if possibles photograph and post up what you can see? As mentioned, some of the hub setups I seen, still retain the SRS cable reel so you neec to see if that's still in there as it may be the reel that's faulty [they have been known to fail]

If there is no cable reel there then you ave to be getting the power signal from the where the cable reel would have plugged in and I find it hard to believe that cable would be faulty.

Sudesh
29-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry, just noticed you have mentioned power has been taken from one of the plugs, so does this mean your setup has the SRS reel still in place?

Mark N
29-05-2012, 10:04 AM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary.jpg

Sudesh
29-05-2012, 10:29 AM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary.jpg

Yeah you still have the slip ring in place Mark.

That's the horn power off the slip ring.

As a quick test, touch that wire to the metal of the steering shaft, in normal situation horn will go off.

If it doesn't then you may have a bad slip ring.

However what I would do after that is, check if the horn triggers by taking power from the female connector
Under the lower steering cover. Basically there will be a another plug coming out under the cover from the SRS slip ring. That plug will go into the SRS female connector that is on the vehicle side. Unplug here and take the horn signal from the female connector and again touch the metal steering shaft, if the horn sounds then the problem is with the SRS reel.

This may help understand a bit, forget about cruise etc etc, you just look for horn in the pic.

http://www.nsxbuilder.com/pages/m22.html

Mark N
29-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Suddish

I have attacched some photos if that helps showing the set up

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary-6.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary-5.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary-3.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary-4.jpg

Mark

Mark N
29-05-2012, 11:37 AM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p510/newnhamm1/temporary-1.jpg

Sudesh
29-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Mark,

Yeah I have a fair idea of that setup, but you need to do what's mentioned above. Touch the red wire to the metal of the hub or the steering wheel shaft, does the horn will sound?

If not you need to remove the hub and lower steering cover and do what I mentioned above and take the horn signal direct from the female plug on the cars loom, and touch that on the metal of the steering shaft. If the horn then sounds your problem is with the steering reel.

If it doesn't sound then there is further investigation to be done.

But you really need to do the above first.

You could even remove just the lower steering cover and look for the yellow connector under there, and make sure it's nice and tight, if it is tight then next step is to disconnected it, and run a wire from the connector pin to the metal of the steering shaft and check for horn to sound. [just take the signal from the pin as shown in the link I left above]