PDA

View Full Version : Chassis reinforcement targa

Papalazarou
25-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Its been a long time since I've had a targa and it's turning out to be a lot of fun. The slightly softer ride and the roof off dynamics are a welcome addition, although I sometimes miss the sharpness of the coupe.
The rigidity issue also seems minor. Sure there's some cowl shake on bumpy roads, but it feels more planted on wet roads, so that's a bonus.

Anyway the point of this post is a little question that's been nagging at me;
If you stiffen up the front and the back with braces and chassis bars, are you really just transferring any additional 'flex' into the centre of the car where the chassis is compromised due to the missing roof section.
If this is true, are targa owners better off with no chassis reinforcement apart from the original brace on the rear and is all this sharpen up the front end rhetoric a wild goose chase.

Discuss........

James.

AR
25-05-2012, 06:29 PM
What you want us is to ask if you already bought another one? Lol

Is it the black one?

Papalazarou
25-05-2012, 06:43 PM
What you want us is to ask if you already bought another one? Lol

Is it the black one?

No, it's the orange one. I'm thinking about having it resprayed though;)

Cheers,

James.

AR
25-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Well done mate nice colour! The bars are easy to fit and if they sharpen a coupe they should do something for a targa ( garage and pit here if you need them ) but as we said before I don't really think any of us really push the cars far enough. Except those of us who pushed them too far in the past lol.

Ewan
25-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I have to say, I always thought the car was well behaved in the middle - sure you could sense a bit more flex when the roof was off but I never found it had a lot of cowl shake or shimmy in the steering. The penalty is maybe that you suffer with more front end roll when diving into corners, but that's not a big deal if you don't rag it or track it...

Why don't you try taking the NSX-R chassis bars off and see how you get on ? :)

Papalazarou
25-05-2012, 07:04 PM
I have to say, I always thought the car was well behaved in the middle - sure you could sense a bit more flex when the roof was off but I never found it had a lot of cowl shake or shimmy in the steering. The penalty is maybe that you suffer with more front end roll when diving into corners, but that's not a big deal if you don't rag it or track it...

Why don't you try taking the NSX-R chassis bars off and see how you get on ? :)

It has front bars already and it's really very good. I'm just curious to know whether the chassis bars are a positive or detrimental addition. The only thing I'm currently tempted to do is the ARBs in order to reduce a bit of roll.

Cheers,

James.

TheSebringOne
25-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Congrats James, lovely car in a great colour.

5 in a row, thats some doing!

WhyOne?
26-05-2012, 07:08 AM
You mad bugger James!

Papalazarou
26-05-2012, 08:44 AM
You mad bugger James!

Thanks Ian,

I must be;)

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
26-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Didn't the final -Ts get the Coupe suspension IIRC? the stiffer springs would check the roll also.

Congratulations on the new car, BTW!