PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics tool kit recommendations

m666 edd
05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Wasn't sure whether this was off-topic or not.

At the moment all the tools I have are in little separate kits and not many of any decent quality.

So I'm after a decent mechanics tool kit / set with some decent branded tools. Mainly for working on the NSX but will be used for any automotive work I need to do. Would be nice to be able to have all my tools in one place!

Anyone got any recommendations? I don't mind spending a fair bit of money as DIY saves me a lot of money anyway :)

PeteM
05-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi Ed, With out spending a small fortune on Snap On tools, which are arguably the best, I would not discount the halfords professional range with life time warranty. They do special half price offers time to time on there 120 piece kits. You also get discount on their tools if you have a trade card.Had one of their tool kits for a while now with no problems, adequate enough for a bit of tinkering!Cheers Pete.

m666 edd
05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Ah right. Was wondering what tool kit you had. Certainly good value for money. Cheers for the info.

Hagasan
05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halfords-Professional-150-Piece-Socket-Set-/221040827940?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item33770f5e24

Hondaboy
05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Also like halfords tools but only the quality ones and when they have a deal on

Worked in the trade for years and used every make out there mac and britool are a decent choice too but only they're professional ranges

scottg
06-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Also like halfords tools but only the quality ones and when they have a deal on

Worked in the trade for years and used every make out there mac and britool are a decent choice too but only they're professional ranges

Its also worth having a look at some of the tools in machine mart, not sure if they do a ready made complete kit but the clarkes range of spanners are very good quality.

Hondaboy
06-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Forgot to add I've bought lots of high quality brand tools from a couple of cash and carry stores in Glasgow

Not suggesting you drive up here but you may have some local stocking decent stuff I've saved 50% on some stuff compared to high street pricing

Oh and gumtree can be good for second hand bargains but buying used tools needs careful checking first

AR
06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Without spending a fortune as said above Halfords professional are hard to beat. Costco also do a great deal from time to time.

NSXGB
06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Steer clear of Silverline tools.

Another one to look out for is Craftsman, an American brand, if you can find the stuff.

WhyOne?
06-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I bought this set from Halfords a few years ago.

I am sure they aren't the best sockets/drives/spanners etc etc in the world, but research prior to buying revealed they are well regarded even by people who do a lot of their own work (which I dont!)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_86 2463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

markc
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Teng Tools are also great quality. Halfords used to sell them as one up from their own Professional range but I can't remember seeing them in there for a while.

"Tooled Up" is a good online tool resource, this little set should get you going... http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=162235 :D

Cheers

Mark

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi, m666 edd.

Although you mentioned that you want to have everything in one place, I would recommend setting a side a portion of the budget for some of the Snap-on sockets.

I used to have access to full set of Snap-on but even just having 10, 12, 14mm (plus 17mm but not essential) standard sockets (plus ideally the deep ones as well) is well worth the investment.

The wall is thinner and the height is shorter compared to most of other brands yet very strong so they become very handy in working in the limited space.

Kaz

m666 edd
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Cheers for the info all.

I quite like the Teng tools kits. But of course not the 1001 piece set!

Kaz, that is a good point about the wall thickness and height as there have been some situations where a smaller socket would have been better. I think I'll get some Snap-on 10, 12 and 14mm sockets. They can go in one of the spare drawers.