PDA

View Full Version : Nsx advert

scottg
06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Just noticed a 1997 NA2 in silver with red leather on auto trader for £24000 and it's a manual car with 75k miles. Any bets on how long before it finds a new home?

markc
06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I believe that is the ex Jaguar owned car. A chap called Craig Donnelly who was/is a member on here based in Scotland owned it a few years ago prior to this last owner. If it's still straight and has been well maintained it will make someone a very happy chappy at that price.

Cheers

Mark

nobby
06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
is this not the car that was jag's test car with a roll cage fitted at one stage etc etc?

Sudesh
06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah thats the one!

You can still see were the roll cage attached too, check out the top left and right corners of the dash and the carpet close to the bonnet handle pull and on the opposite side. Tidy bit of trimming sent on!

scottg
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM
is this not the car that was jag's test car with a roll cage fitted at one stage etc etc?

I am not aware Jaguar had a car, can anyone enlighten me?

markc
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I am not aware Jaguar had a car, can anyone enlighten me?

Jaguar purchased a couple of NSX's to use as development reference vehicles, for performance, ride, handling, packaging etc, against a new car they were going to build. It was most likely a previous late '90s incarnation of the "F-Type"... no wonder they gave up when the benchmarked the NSX ;)

This particular car is the best known and documented of them. It must be one of the cheapest ways into an NA2 "pop-up" Coupe which is of course the best NSX of them all :D

Cheers

Mark

scottg
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Jaguar purchased a couple of NSX's to use as development reference vehicles, for performance, ride, handling, packaging etc, against a new car they were going to build. It was most likely a previous late '90s incarnation of the "F-Type"... no wonder they gave up when the benchmarked the NSX ;)

This particular car is the best known and documented of them. It must be one of the cheapest ways into an NA2 "pop-up" Coupe which is of course the best NSX of them all :D

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark. I couldn't agree more regarding the NA2 with pop ups and the best colour is of course IOP!
GHreat to have a chance to own a car with that story.

Hagasan
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
What I was told from an Aston Martin employee who was well aware of the Jaguar NSX's (he was an NSX owner himself) was that all three cars had been well and truly stripped down over the years during testing and that this remaining car was built back up out of the serviceable parts left. Lots of other parts were crushed so in effect this car is potentially three cars in one! Not necessarily a rare 3.2 pop-up coupe;)

Cheers

Mark

markc
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
What I was told from an Aston Martin employee who was well aware of the Jaguar NSX's (he was an NSX owner himself) was that all three cars had been well and truly stripped down over the years during testing and that this remaining car was built back up out of the serviceable parts left. Lots of other parts were crushed so in effect this car is potentially three cars in one! Not necessarily a rare 3.2 pop-up coupe;)

Nothing wrong with stripping down, indeed some would call it maintenance :) Provided the chassis and engine numbers match the original registration information it's the original car with some replacement parts... which any 15 year old will have.

Cheers

Mark

nobby
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
agreed about stripping down ... my car has been through it and seen as refresh/preventative maintenece; but in this instance would not be keen on the element of cutting etc that was needed for the roll cage etc ... and there is still evidence of the aftermath on the dash etc of this car.

plus i would guess the engines got a right seeing too ... yeah liklihood the engines were well maintained etc ... but would be hard to get over the mentality of the car being used as test car as it would have got cained lots of times etc

at the right money ... but not at the price listed

Senninha
07-06-2012, 05:05 PM
........plus i would guess the engines got a right seeing too ... yeah liklihood the engines were well maintained etc ... but would be hard to get over the mentality of the car being used as test car as it would have got cained lots of times etc

Why would you assume its had "a right seeing too"? these were not Journo cars that got loaned out to Clarkson and co to swan around in and shred the tyres off. These were, as Mark says, development evaluation cars, so to me this means engineers behind the wheel trying to work out if they can possible get close to the performance benchmark that the NSX set in its day.

Is it 3 into 1 ... does it really matter? The well documented history of P27 shows how many times this NSX was rebuilt and again, this 'rebuild' would have been by some of the best engineers in the country so I would not have any concerns here. If it has good service records to go with its other history then this is a very cheap way into 3.2 ownership for someone.

At the mileage this should now be nicely run in and ready to give its best for the lucky person who has a spare £25k right now ... and hopefully not a stealer who'll be back in a week with several extra ££ added into the offer ...

BTW, if you're a stealer reading this right now, please ensure you fully service, refresh via Kaz\Sudesh, replace interior trim with OEM parts and actually justify your mark up ... if you dont then be prepared to pay bank charges for many months on your 'bargain' ....

markc
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
plus i would guess the engines got a right seeing too ... yeah liklihood the engines were well maintained etc ... but would be hard to get over the mentality of the car being used as test car as it would have got cained lots of times etc

Well firstly any NSX who's engine hasn't had a right seeing too has managed to attract the wrong owner/s :) Secondly, remember that many NSX's were either pre-registered or registered as demonstrators by Honda dealers making them available to all of the dealer staff and indeed any old punter walking in off the street. That doesn't mean these cars are to be avoided but given the choice I think I'd prefer my that my own car was ragged by a professional engineer rather than a car salesman or a test pilot chancer. Thirdly, as demonstrated at our TDI dyno day a couple of years ago, the NSX's that have lead the most "active" life made the most power on the dyno which suggests that NSX engines prefer to be used properly rather than being restricted to mundane daily driver duties.

at the right money ... but not at the price listed

It's a bargain at twice the price :cool:

Cheers

Mark (Chief NSX value talker-upper :D)

Sudesh
07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Some nice new interior and good service and inspection would make that a nice buy!

havoc
07-06-2012, 08:37 PM

:yes:

I've also been told (similar source) that the one of the F-Type test-mules was created from an NSX chassis - no idea how modified, but that would make sense with your 3-into-1 comment.

simonprelude
08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Is it 3 into 1 ... does it really matter? The well documented history of P27 shows how many times this NSX was rebuilt and again, this 'rebuild' would have been by some of the best engineers in the country so I would not have any concerns here. If it has good service records to go with its other history then this is a very cheap way into 3.2 ownership for someone.

Not forgetting how P27 did on the rolling road day and also how in 4 1/2 years ownership from me the only non service part I had to change was an ABS sensor.
I think the journo 'shakedown' should be applied to all NSX's.

WhyOne?
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Why would you assume its had "a right seeing too"? these were not Journo cars that got loaned out to Clarkson and co to swan around in and shred the tyres off. These were, as Mark says, development evaluation cars, so to me this means engineers behind the wheel trying to work out if they can possible get close to the performance benchmark that the NSX set in its day.

At the mileage this should now be nicely run in and ready to give its best for the lucky person who has a spare £25k right now ... and hopefully not a stealer who'll be back in a week with several extra ££ added into the offer ...

BTW, if you're a stealer reading this right now, please ensure you fully service, refresh via Kaz\Sudesh, replace interior trim with OEM parts and actually justify your mark up ... if you dont then be prepared to pay bank charges for many months on your 'bargain' ....

I agree with Paul, there really was a lot of unsubstantiated, alarmist clap-trap in that post.

AR
08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
This tread is one of those where is best just to sit back and enjoy the popcorn!

markc
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Not forgetting how P27 did on the rolling road day and also how in 4 1/2 years ownership from me the only non service part I had to change was an ABS sensor.
I think the journo 'shakedown' should be applied to all NSX's.

Whatever happened to the "Members Articles" section we had on the old website format? I wrote up the TDI dyno event and collated the results... P27 was equal 6th of the 9 3.2 Ltr cars present ;)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
IIRC the Members Articles section hand less than 5 submissions ... :(

Senninha
08-06-2012, 08:12 PM
This tread is one of those where is best just to sit back and enjoy the popcorn!

Ah Ha, now we know why the seats are a squeeze .... JK ;)

AR
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Ah Ha, now we know why the seats are a squeeze .... JK ;)

Lol Paul it was web pop corn as now I am 14.12 and 32" waist getting ready for the new NSX seats.