PDA

View Full Version : Hammond Drives Icons...NSX in June 2012 Top gear mag

mjames75
18-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Was in the barbers and picked up this months Top gear magazine to find an NSX article, Hammond is reveiwing car icons each month and it was the NSX's turn :-), not a bad article, looks like he drove an NA1 auto. Plus some current prices from adverts were in there, one of them being my car I recently bought of James.

cheers,

Mike

Rob_Fenn
19-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Not that damn HUK car again! Shame...

I blame Hammond for the NSX-R not being brought to the UK. Stupid midget hippy.

AR
19-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Not that damn HUK car again! Shame...

I blame Hammond for the NSX-R not being brought to the UK. Stupid midget hippy.

he seems to like the auto huk car, yet hates the R.

bloody journos!

scottg
19-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe his little legs struglle to work a clutch pedal although Vicky Butler Henderson seems to manage

markc
19-06-2012, 02:59 PM
The HUK red auto was the car pictured for the feature but he also talked more generally about the NSX rather than that specific car. Interesting that he mentioned the understeer but not the steering itself which is the area that usually draws criticism. Being listed as an icon is a good thing though :cool:

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
19-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm off to the news agents as I'm told my car is featured on the cover of Top Marques, as well the article for 90's icons .... it has some of the studio shots I'm told ...

The HUK red auto was the car pictured for the feature but he also talked more generally about the NSX rather than that specific car. Interesting that he mentioned the understeer but not the steering itself which is the area that usually draws criticism. Being listed as an icon is a good thing though :cool:

Cheers

Mark

scammy
22-06-2012, 11:15 AM
what happened to that R that he tested for the show and said 'Honda step away from the NSX' did it stay in the UK if so where is it

Problem Child
25-06-2012, 08:24 PM
heres the article on the Top Gear website

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/hammond-drives-the-icons-honda-nsx-25-06-2012?imageNo=0

nobby
25-06-2012, 09:48 PM
yes its still in the country; i think the owner is on here from time to time ... it was photographed in justin's uk owners book

what happened to that R that he tested for the show and said 'Honda step away from the NSX' did it stay in the UK if so where is it

nobby
25-06-2012, 09:51 PM
i thought the article was typical hammond ... little substance tbh

yes agreed he did say it deserved its status and still thinks its a beautiful car after all these years

was gonna buy the mag for this article ... so glad i did not bother

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
26-06-2012, 09:13 AM
It is a terribly trite article.

And bloody annoying over eight pages of a paragraph each. Aimed at people who move their mouths when they read, I presume.

And the BX's satellite pods were far superior to the NSX's odd mixture of Prelude & Routemaster; it's the switchgear's poor ergonomics, NOT the shiny plastic, that dates the car. The S2000's reached a new level of perfection, a mere decade later. But I suppose that's way to deep for the most.

Marky
26-06-2012, 10:19 AM
the NA2 NSX is a fantastic car, power steering, light clutch, not too low at the front and lovely suspension set up for UK roads. The NSX-R has very heavy steering, heavy clutch and hard suspension. I am not sure most of us would enjoy it, apart from track days

Papalazarou
26-06-2012, 11:02 AM
It is a terribly trite article.

And bloody annoying over eight pages of a paragraph each. Aimed at people who move their mouths when they read, I presume.

And the BX's satellite pods were far superior to the NSX's odd mixture of Prelude & Routemaster; it's the switchgear's poor ergonomics, NOT the shiny plastic, that dates the car. The S2000's reached a new level of perfection, a mere decade later. But I suppose that's way to deep for the most.

Really shocking. No better than a secondary school project. When it comes to the NSX it's like all motoring journalists have got a template that they simply cut round then paste. It makes me wonder how accurate any articles Regarding any cars actually are?! I mean it's not difficult. All they've got to do is research the bastard thing! Isn't that what journalists do?
If they can't be bothered to do that, they aren't journalist at all, they're just tracers;).

Cheers,

James.

nobby
26-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I wasn't expecting anything at all original from the piece when i heard it was published ... was always going to be a hatchet job and as you say James, lazy journo stuff especially not surprising from Hammond. If its not a 911 he is not interested ... too busy worrying about what tv show he has to do next, the colour of his teeth or the style of his hair to worry about doing a PROPER job.

we have seen loads of press of late that shows any resemblence of proper investigative work on our cars.

If you want info, your best bet is on here or on Prime. Simplez really

BTW he is not a journo anymore, just a tv presenter/whore

All they've got to do is research the bastard thing! Isn't that what journalists do?
If they can't be bothered to do that, they aren't journalist at all, they're just tracers;).

Cheers,

James.

WhyOne?
26-06-2012, 02:32 PM
It is a poor, lazy article to be sure.

But I wouldn't say it is a hatchet job - he is complementary about the car, and points out that whilst he is a great fan of the 911, he considers it to be just a fast sports car, whereas the NSX is a supercar........

Nick Graves
26-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Really shocking. No better than a secondary school project. When it comes to the NSX it's like all motoring journalists have got a template that they simply cut round then paste. It makes me wonder how accurate any articles Regarding any cars actually are?! I mean it's not difficult. All they've got to do is research the bastard thing! Isn't that what journalists do?

Cheers,

James.

Having looked at several moderns, I really no longer trust the opinions of scribes; they tend to overlook glaring errors or be inconsistent to please their paymasters.

Look how they all slagged off the S2000's EPS, but now Porsche comes with dull steering, it suddenly no longer matters because the rest of the car's so wonderful.

Slightly odd switchgear aside, the NSX has, like most Hondas, near-perfect ergonomics. Rarely mentioned how poor they are in so many modern cars; we CBA to drive the CR-Z or Scirocco, because they fell over at the sitting in them properly & seeing out of them hurdle. I'll remember my last Alfa drive forever; the depair at how bad the Brera was and no-one mentioned it at all and only half-admitted it later on in the car's life.

BTW Marky; LJKS agreed with your proposition and he was usually at odds with all the other journalists!

TheSebringOne
28-06-2012, 12:24 AM
I can't believe the way Hamster criticised the weight saving ideas of the R and look what his favourite brand, Porsche did
with the GT3 RS, didn't the last 4.0 version have a sticker front badge. Hypocrite!

I think the car that did the TG lap in torrential rain may have been shipped back to Japan? Can anyone confirm this?
This is on the assumption that Fuzilov's old car is the only one in the UK?

Hondaboy
28-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Yep it was the usual two minute review of the nsx but going by previous Hammond drives the icons, none of them were in-depth or particularly informative

However did enjoy pointing out to my mate "see told you it's a super car":)

NSX100
28-06-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm really quite baffled by all this diatribe against Hammond and his article. First of all he is NOT a journalist; he is a TV presenter. As someone else said, LJKS was a journalist. Secondly, this is a sound bite to sell to the general public, not an in-depth analysis for enthusiasts. And thirdly, and most important, for a 911 fan he openly admits that it is a sports car; the NSX is a supercar. I would say that is praise indeed.

Perhaps a little bit of perspective is required.

WhyOne?
28-06-2012, 08:47 AM
My thoughts precisely.

Good post!

Nick Graves
28-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm really quite baffled by all this diatribe against Hammond and his article. First of all he is NOT a journalist; he is a TV presenter. As someone else said, LJKS was a journalist. Secondly, this is a sound bite to sell to the general public, not an in-depth analysis for enthusiasts. And thirdly, and most important, for a 911 fan he openly admits that it is a sports car; the NSX is a supercar. I would say that is praise indeed.

Perhaps a little bit of perspective is required.

A couple of inconsistencies spring to mind;

If Hammond isn't a journo, why is he allegedly writing a magazine article on the NSX? Perhaps the confusion is that it IS merely a vapid advertorial, yet TG magazine itself purports to be a motoring journal and not a Sunday night comedy show. Perhaps that is where the expectation arises.

What is the difference between a sports car and a supercar? Unless we can define the reasonably terms (which is admittedly problematical) the postulation becomes meaningless. Since the term supercar is invariably an oxymoron (most described as such are very much sub-standard in so many areas) I would contend that the boggo NSX is in fact a very fine luxury grand tourer, being far too well-engineered and versatile for the supercar sobriquet.

Perhaps the NSX-R is different; I shall continue to take the S2000 to trackdays, in order to discover my limitations as a driver.

There are many dimensions and depths to the NSX that are rarely mentioned in most articles, which is why it's difficult to read any fresh or challenging perspectives on the car. Yet still waters tend to run deep...