PDA

View Full Version : Noisy steering column and humb when at tickover

scottg
24-09-2012, 04:36 PM
It's funny isn't it that when one thing is fixed another comes along to challenge you. Well I am extra lucky as I have two such 'challenges' as follows:

1. Having sorted the audio system my attention is now drawn to a noise that the MOT tester commented on. When at low speeds in car parks etc there is a clicking sound that appears to come from the bottom of the steering column area, does anyone have an ideas on where to start or perhaps you have had a similar issue? It may be unrealeted but the steering also feels like it tightens a little as you take right hand bends more so than left handers, although it does weight up this side as well. Having owned a later NSX previously it is noticable in its heavier feel as yo make a tighter turn.
2. When the car is warm and ticking over at traffic lights etc there is a humming noise that comes from the engine bay. It has no effect being in or out of gear (the cars auto) and as the revs increase the noise goes only to return as it drops back down to the lower revs about 1200 and below I think is when it is noticable. I have used an old trick of putting my ear to the handle end of a long screwdriver and the blade end on various parts of the engine to see what is transmtting the humb and can detect it most when it is on the bracket to the tp engine mount on the cam belt side, any ideas?

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated
Thanks
Scott