PDA

View Full Version : front side lights.....

britlude
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
i'm thinking of having a play with DRLs so want a pair of front side/indicator units. (early pop-up model)

i'm going to be chopping them about, so don't want pristine units as it might not actually work out! (or i'd be buying the shiny new ones listed on ebay for £220!)

any old scratched units out there?

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi, Jonathan.

If you are already aware of the following, then my apology in advance for telling you something you already knew.....

As far as I know, you can’t install the DRL right next to the indicator bulb for driving in our region.

I know on NSX Prime, you can find DRL installed within the indicator light housing that looked quite nice.

In EU, you need minimum of 40mm from the indicator bulb to the edge of the DRL lens (not the bulb).

There are lots of other regulations as well so please check it unless your purpose is for off road usage.

Kaz

britlude
05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
hi Kaz there are various rules as regards spacings and positionings! just to make things awkward! i've not seen the 40mm requirement (tho i'm looking at the BIVA requirements) so i'll have to investigate further!

Saying that, however, the whole plan was inspired by seeing a Range Rover Evoque make a turn... on these, the DRL is next to the indicator, but the DRL dims when the indicator is used, so the indicator is more visible and not 'drowned out' but the white. i understand some Audi do this as well, some billing it as a 'prestige brand' design feature!

i was also going to use the DRL as the side lights too, with the DRL dimming to an appropriate level. so i'll have to decide whether to use PWM (pulse width modulation) or current control for the dimming...

current control will make it dimmer where as PWM will be just as bright just not on for as long! experimentation required!

mutley
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Jonathan,
I think I might have exactly what you are looking for, I have a pair of old lights that came off myy old nosecone when I fitted the new one. one of them has a small hole in hte lense so not great use to anyone, but would be ok for experimenting with.

PS slight problem is that I am down south getting ready to deploy overseas next week, however, there is a rumour that we might get this weekend off, so I'll be going home, which means I could dig them out for you.

Hope that's usefull
Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-10-2012, 12:41 PM
It’s the ECE 48 Regulation section 6.19.

And, yes, if you switch off or dim the DRL for the entire duration (On and Off cycles) of the indicator light, you can get away from the 40mm requirement.

It’s a long-long document and typical specification document that tends to use complicated expression rather than a diagram and added to this, there are number of amendments so even myself is not clear on the latest-latest definition....

But, if you can play with it, that will be a nice modification.
Be careful with some of the LEDs on the market. They are super bright but it could melt the plastic lens and the housing.

Looking forward to your write up once it's done.

Kaz

Silver Surfer
10-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Hi Jonathan

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165719

SS

britlude
11-10-2012, 09:27 AM
hi SS.... seen contacted and soon to be on its way across the Atlantic!

britlude
29-10-2012, 08:34 PM
getting there... i'll do a write-up once it's sorted and i'm happy with it!!