FRM70
20-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Has anyone seen this car for sale on PistonHeads classified, it looks good
value to me , does anyone have an opinion on it :?:

Thanks

FRM70

Lankstarr
20-02-2006, 03:04 PM
The reason for the price is that the car is Cat D. It says that it is just the front lip that has been replaced but I didn't think that a car went Cat D unless it was an insurance write off?? Maybe I am getting confused with Cat C in which case this car has previously been stolen and recovered.
I'm sure someone will put me straight!!!

Also sounds a bit dodgy the way they say it was brought in by Honda UK - do they mean brought in to Ireland or is it an import?

Papalazarou
20-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Found this on the net, think it's accurate?

Briefly:
Category A - Must be crushed. All of it.
Category B - Vehicle may not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.
Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of vehicle.
Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to. Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage.

Category D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so. Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair. Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

James.

Lankstarr
20-02-2006, 03:28 PM
so..... if the guy reckons that it was just the front lip that was replaced it sounds to me that the insurance co would have probably forked out for this and so it would not be Cat anything - do I smell a porky??? :roll:

FRM70
20-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the input , I will investigate further.

FRM70

Kevin
21-02-2006, 08:03 AM
So all these Catagories mean the insurance wrote it off?

Well I can tell you my insurance company happily paid up, for a new front wing, light cover, bumper repair, bits and pieces underneath the bumper, and a complete spray of one side and bumper on my 1992. Total bill near £4500.

So I'm guessing you would need more damage than this to get it written off.

Lankstarr
21-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Do you know if as a result of this your car is on the register?

If it is not and this 03 is then I would assume over £25k worth of damage for the insurer not to bother with it - I think they call it a write off at 60% of the market value - don't quote me oin the figs but it is somewhere around there!!!

Senninha
21-02-2006, 05:53 PM
My experience is that the insurance company will follow the route of least financial cost to themselves.
That said, a front lip wouldn't classify a write off in any catergory. It is more than likely of the 'stolen & recovered' background. I would take someone very qualified about bodywork to assist in the inspection.
I would also guess that the NSX is like all other Honda's in that the various stickers found under bonnets and door jams cannot be purchased, so if they're missing, panels have been replaced/repaired.

Hope this helps.

Regards

slieve_croob
24-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I have seen this vehicle, and it needs the entire front bumper / all the ancillaries behind, .underneath / damage to front chassis leg extending to front LHS wheel arch, bonnett, lighting, etc etc.

Most likely the structure beyond may be OK.

I can understand why it was written off. Additionally, it has been on the breaker circuit for some time, both in the UK and N Ireland.

Regards