PDA

View Full Version : Spam

Dragonlady
13-10-2012, 08:25 AM
What's with all the spam posts all of a sudden?

Senninha
13-10-2012, 12:00 PM
What's with all the spam posts all of a sudden?

Its thanx to a bunch of bored individuals that take pleasure in making mulitple 'member' applications to multiple websites that include ours instead of getting of the f***** a*** and doing somethiing responsible in this world ... on average a dozen apps per night for the past 2 months .... and often these are from one actual web surfer ....

RO

Sudesh
13-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Its thanx to a bunch of bored individuals that take pleasure in making mulitple 'member' applications to multiple websites that include ours instead of getting of the f***** a*** and doing somethiing responsible in this world ... on average a dozen apps per night for the past 2 months .... and often these are from one actual web surfer ....

RO

What happened my Spam thread lol noticed its been deleted?

Senninha
13-10-2012, 01:49 PM
What happened my Spam thread lol noticed its been deleted?

There were about 4 diffrent threads notifying spam .... nothing personal Sudesh!

AR
14-10-2012, 05:08 AM
With so many members in IT can't they be blocked if it is from just one server? Complete neofite so just asking.

Sudesh
14-10-2012, 10:11 AM
There were about 4 diffrent threads notifying spam .... nothing personal Sudesh!

Wouldn't take that personal Paul, maybe you guys need some additional moderators to help delete this crap when is posted up, it's off the chart at the moment!

The new member registration is climbing like never before, pity they didn't have an nsx lol

Senninha
15-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Lets see what happens over next few days ... may have implented some changes \ support to reduce impact ....

NSXGB
16-10-2012, 09:31 AM
still rife...

Is it worth disabling new registrations at the moment?
We could vet potential newbies applications before allowing them access? I know more labour intensive but I'm willing to help if you need it.

Nick Graves
16-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Since the saddoes are usually promoting s hit no-one wants, can we not simply cyber-attack them back? I know there's only about three of us, but they pop up everywhere & it pisses me off...

Senninha
16-10-2012, 09:57 AM
if you know how to then you can have the details and have some fun ....

NSXGB
16-10-2012, 10:44 AM
if you know how to then you can have the details and have some fun ....

I'm up for it.

Kaz-kzukNA1
16-10-2012, 10:44 AM
They are using script to automatically inspect the web page element to understand the format of new user registration page and then automatically cycle through the candidates of answers for the random questions to finalise the registration process.

I’m quite sure they are using proxy software as well which will make it harder to back trace them from IP address so even if you block them by the IP, they can simply change the proxy setting and repeat the same process.

Any forum on the web were created by someone at the very first place and he/she will be the initial forum administrator.
So, it is up to the administrator(s) to decide on how to run the forum including the new user registration and where he/she wants to direct (direction of) the forum in the future.
I personally know the time required to setup and maintain the server so I respect them not only for starting this small but nice community forum but also for the time and effort spent for the current era as well as in the past and for the future.

There are several methods in preventing spam users from registering to this site but that will require extra time on the administrator/moderator side and I’m happy to assist on this.

Until we have such mechanism in place, we just need to keep removing these spam as I already received several comments about the amount of spam on NSXCB site from people sending questions to me from several different countries.

With the recent malware threat on the news, some of them told me that they were simply scared to visit the site because they could accidentaly open the spam thread which may lock up their PC (for the clarification, at the time of writing, this is not the case by just opening the spam thread on our site but please DO NOT open any of the links that are nested in the text or in the signature area).

I’m also happy to assist in deleting these spam threads as whenever I was asked about my NSX at the car park, petrol station, car event, etc, I'm always promoting NSXCB site so I would like to keep it clean.
Also, I’ll be on this site at least twice a day every day including Christmas.... Sad.....

It is not directly spam related but there was also one interesting topic on NSX Prime as well;
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166597.

[Edit: Post #8 is interesting one to see the view of NSX Prime administrator.]

Kaz

NSXGB
16-10-2012, 11:15 AM
They are using script to automatically inspect the web page element to understand the format of new user registration page and then automatically cycle through the candidates of answers for the random questions to finalise the registration process.

This is exactly how I see it, hence my suggestion of a new member approval process, as you say more work but the spammers will fall at the first hurdle, so worth it.

I thought it should be an option in the forum software, somewhere?

britlude
16-10-2012, 04:25 PM
some other forums I frequent have a section where people have to introduce themselves before they are given posting priviledges for the rest of the forum.... like a written request to participate!

if not it'll have to involve the squished/distorted text that no-one can read!

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Seems like not much difference……

Recently, I have been reporting almost all of the spam using the ‘report’ feature of this site but for each spam, I must wait minimum of 60sec before I can report another one due to the ‘report’ feature restriction in place when I just want to mark all of the spam and then delete all in one go.

This morning, there is at least 8 spam from just three user ID.

I will no longer report them as it’s just waste of my time.

Kaz

Nick Graves
20-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Can the registration process not simply include a question that only a complete NSX/Honda saddoe anorak would know the answer to?

The innovation in the NSX's front suspension was the compliance _____? or something.

havoc
20-10-2012, 03:46 PM
What about using the captcha (sp?) word-check process? Would that work - would stop the 'bots, at least...