PDA

View Full Version : Facelift CAT D on ebay.......warning!!

mjames75
23-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I was going to buy this vehicle and decided to get a full check by Honda.....so just a warnig to stay away!!
I didn't go and look at it before the check (big mistake), it was agreed that the dealer would drive it to the garage and they would report back to me. He told me it was repaired by Honda and was MINT, it is far from this.

I turned up at the garage and it was so bad i noticed the whole front end was misaligned before i got out my car! Anyway the list is 2 pages long of issues! including, bolts sheared off in hub, boot full of water, rust amongst tools, AC condensor and lights not working...

No wonder it hasn't sold! I think the dealer has made a mistake as this should have sold by now if it was mint! I wish i looked at it first as now I have wasted £240!

Honda have no record of this vehicle ever being repaired.

goldtop
23-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Wow - many here hoped that this car was potentially a good buy with that minor repair (to supposed Honda standards).

Sorry to hear that you've had your time and money wasted - and thanks for sharing the info, too. I owe you a pint or two.

NSX-FAN
23-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Quite shocked to read that, as the saying goes "pictures only tell half the story". I wonder why they have not advertised the car on PH, only Ebay and AutoTrader, hoping to export it ?

Sudesh
23-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I presume this is the red one that was originally in Northern Ireland?

Surprised to hear, but I have to say, I've never viewed this car in the flesh.

NSX-FAN
23-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Reg is RJ53 NTT. ebay number 121000029505

nobby
23-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I am pretty shocked about reading this

I know this car ... and I nearly bought it a couple of years ago; fair enuff at that time I was NOT fully up to speed on the in's and outs of an NSX but I saw the car before it was sold and it DID NOT have any of these issues i.e. no lights on dash, AC was fully working, lights were working, no sign of damp/smell of damp in the boot. There was NO evident body alignment issues with it either cary set very well on the ground and was used as a show car over here on numerous occasions prior to sale earlier this year. Car had a comprehensive service done on it by Honda Belfast etc before leaving the country.

It has been sold some months ago and only thing that springs to mind is has the car been recently damaged since finding itself over in England?

GOBSMACKED!

The guy who I know that owned it, lurked about on here and never registered ... if he reads this perhaps he can shed some light on it.

BTW this car did not have MINOR repair work ... it required considerable work as it had a fairly big shunt in the front. All documents of the damage were included with the car (i know cause i saw the pics etc) as the then owner declared this; original registered no plate etc too

Hi Guys,

I was going to buy this vehicle and decided to get a full check by Honda.....so just a warnig to stay away!!
I didn't go and look at it before the check (big mistake), it was agreed that the dealer would drive it to the garage and they would report back to me. He told me it was repaired by Honda and was MINT, it is far from this.

I turned up at the garage and it was so bad i noticed the whole front end was misaligned before i got out my car! Anyway the list is 2 pages long of issues! including, bolts sheared off in hub, boot full of water, rust amongst tools, AC condensor and lights not working...

No wonder it hasn't sold! I think the dealer has made a mistake as this should have sold by now if it was mint! I wish i looked at it first as now I have wasted £240!

Honda have no record of this vehicle ever being repaired.

gcon45
23-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Hmm. So that's 3 damaged Formula Red facelifts that ended up in or originated in NI then? Strange.

Papalazarou
23-11-2012, 01:37 PM
I considered this car a couple of years back but decided against it. The private owner at the time sent me the pictures of the damage and it looked at least as bad, if not worse than the facelift car I had recently driven into the Armco at Castle Combe, a few month prior.
The repair bill for that car was £30K + vat!
This is partly down to NSX parts prices, but also, the issues of welding aluminium and it's limited tolerance to straightening.
A new chassis leg is a lot of money and a logistical pig of a job to get right.
I don't know how the car in question has been repaired or whether it needed a chassis leg. But they tend to kink close to the bulkhead when hit from the front. From the photos it looked like the nearside had taken most of the impact.

Cheers.

Sudesh
23-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Hmm. So that's 3 damaged Formula Red facelifts that ended up in or originated in NI then? Strange.

Only 2 is it not?

gcon45
23-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Only 2 is it not?

This one, mine and Mark's?

Mine is Cat D as was Mark's.

Luckily the damage was very much superficial and not structural for us!

New RH headlight, new RH wing and front bumper re-spray in my case.

Sudesh
23-11-2012, 05:26 PM
This one, mine and Mark's?

Mine is Cat D as was Mark's.

Luckily the damage was very much superficial and not structural for us!

New RH headlight, new RH wing and front bumper re-spray in my case.

The car in question is/was Marks as I understand it.

gcon45
23-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Really?

Has it been in a shunt since Mark sold it?

Certainly sounds like it hasn't been in the best care.

Sudesh
23-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Really?

Has it been in a shunt since Mark sold it?

Certainly sounds like it hasn't been in the best care.

No idea Conor? The only time I seem this car, was many years ago, when it was for sale by a non franchise dealer in Belfast, long before Marks dad bought it. And I've never been to any of the car events it was at.

mjames75
23-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I think its been crashed again...the front engine mount was gone, one exhaust was 2 inches pushed in, compared to the other, the panels were off so much it actually looked twisted! wish I'd taken some pictures now. I just don't don't understand how the dealer dropped the car off at Honda with a boot full of water and mould everywhere.
Two very annoying experiences now, the Grantham NA1 and now this one, both dealers! I'll stick to private sales!....so anyone want to sell me their facelift?!

nobby
23-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Mark had said to me that the guy he sold it too had parted with it not long after ... Apparently bought a 4x4 of this dealer ... Things are starting to perhaps make sense ... No way was this car like this when it left these shores! Jeepers, I thought I had gone blind or something and not seen any of this!

Really sad to hear as this was a nice eg of car ... Obviously the original buyer has ran out of talent somewhere!

NSX-FAN
23-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I always thought this was a little strange, does anyone know why the build/issue number looks damaged ? i have only seen 2 other issue numbers in person and they were both pretty much perfect, this one looks as though it has either had water damage or someone has had a go at removing it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeW8JBQIPlE4b3w~~_12.JPG

by contrast the other 2 issue numbers i have seen.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd372/AdamMelville/092-1.jpg?t=1350239820
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd372/AdamMelville/100-1.jpg?t=1350239834

Sudesh
23-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Just looks dirty to me.

PeterW
23-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Mark had said to me that the guy he sold it too had parted with it not long after ...

Must have been very not long after ... it was advertised in Antrim with 39,000 miles in July, and still only has 39,000 miles...

Peter

NSXGB
23-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I always thought this was a little strange, does anyone know why the build/issue number looks damaged ? i have only seen 2 other issue numbers in person and they were both pretty much perfect, this one looks as though it has either had water damage or someone has had a go at removing it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeW8JBQIPlE4b3w~~_12.JPG

by contrast the other 2 issue numbers i have seen.

At the top? Looks like water to me.

Sudesh
23-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I think its been crashed again...the front engine mount was gone, one exhaust was 2 inches pushed in, compared to the other, the panels were off so much it actually looked twisted! wish I'd taken some pictures now. I just don't don't understand how the dealer dropped the car off at Honda with a boot full of water and mould everywhere.
Two very annoying experiences now, the Grantham NA1 and now this one, both dealers! I'll stick to private sales!....so anyone want to sell me their facelift?!

Crashed again! That would have been a real quick repair then!

The car left N.I "supposedly" to a new private owner, it then re-appeared roughly 3 weeks later on that dealers site.

Find the whole crashed again thing, hard to believe to be honest. All speculative obviously lol.

Nick Graves
24-11-2012, 02:25 PM
The sheared bolt would be the one the dealer has photographed. Bashed off a sheared locking nut?

It's funny how Cat Ds always have 'light damage' in the ads. It'd be interesting to find out what happened and if it could be put right - if someone takes a big dump on the price...

jamieburke
15-12-2012, 03:04 PM
I saw this car before it was fixed the first time it was hit. At that point it needed a front wing and headlight. This was back in 2003 I think, car was 6 months old and was 30k. I do not believe it was fixed comprehensively at the time. I did not buy it at that time nor would have bought it since. It would take a lot to make the car right, including a proper front end alignment. I met the guy who bought it some time later who denied where it had come from a nd that it was cat d. It was seen in a lot of road races, often because people would phone me thinking it had been me that was racing people. It's a long story as I believe, but it was then resprayed and looked fantastic, but the front end still was not aligned correctly ESP around the left front headlight. I've heard a lot more negative things about the car but cannot personally confirm or deny- car needed a clutch within 20k, had scores and marks in odd places not normally damaged by road debris, around the rear etc, was seen racing very often on the streets.

jamieburke
15-12-2012, 03:07 PM
It must have been 04. Car was 30 k then, what's it worth now?! The owner cashed in on the recent nsx-is-an-investment mania and sold at 35k (I think) so for the record, asking price for this 6 month old, 4k, cat d nsx in 04 was 30k.