PDA

View Full Version : Winter maintenance

flyingsniffer
25-11-2012, 04:10 PM
My car is confined to the play barn for winter: my drive is a half mile long concrete farm track and the farmer insists on doing work in his fields when it's wet through, so there's mud everywhere (that's why I have a Discovery). So the car has been SORNed until March.

Still, I thought that I would take the time to catch up on a few niggly jobs, but I have come across a few headscratchers. I've tried a search of the forum, but feel free to smack me round the head if I've missed any obvious prior threads

O2 sensor(s)
When the car has been parked up a while (maybe a week or longer), the check engine light comes on, on startup. And won't go away. I have a fault code reader and it's showing a P0141, which according to NSX prime is:

P0141
Rear Secondary HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I guess I'll just change it. So, of the 4 sensors I can spot, which one is this? And while I am scrabbling around underneath, is there any point in doing any others? I have ordered two from www.sparkplug.com. I'm guessing they aren't hard to fit, but I bet they are a PITA to get out? Anyone with hints and tips appreciated

Rear lamp gaskets
OK, I've got the message that drilling holes in your rear lights is a Bad Idea. So I've parted with a wallet full of cash in exchange for the new gasket set. Now, when I took off the old ones, the sticky side was attached to the plastic of the lamp, but intuitively it looks like the sticky side should be on the body. Not sure if a previous owner got it the wrong way round, so though I should check.

Seat bolster refurb
My car has done a few miles and the seat bolster (plain black leather) is showing some signs of distress and wear. Anyone got any good products for refurb they have used?

Thanks

Sudesh
25-11-2012, 05:36 PM
My car is confined to the play barn for winter: my drive is a half mile long concrete farm track and the farmer insists on doing work in his fields when it's wet through, so there's mud everywhere (that's why I have a Discovery). So the car has been SORNed until March.

Still, I thought that I would take the time to catch up on a few niggly jobs, but I have come across a few headscratchers. I've tried a search of the forum, but feel free to smack me round the head if I've missed any obvious prior threads

O2 sensor(s)
When the car has been parked up a while (maybe a week or longer), the check engine light comes on, on startup. And won't go away. I have a fault code reader and it's showing a P0141, which according to NSX prime is:

P0141
Rear Secondary HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I guess I'll just change it. So, of the 4 sensors I can spot, which one is this? And while I am scrabbling around underneath, is there any point in doing any others? I have ordered two from www.sparkplug.com. I'm guessing they aren't hard to fit, but I bet they are a PITA to get out? Anyone with hints and tips appreciated

Rear lamp gaskets
OK, I've got the message that drilling holes in your rear lights is a Bad Idea. So I've parted with a wallet full of cash in exchange for the new gasket set. Now, when I took off the old ones, the sticky side was attached to the plastic of the lamp, but intuitively it looks like the sticky side should be on the body. Not sure if a previous owner got it the wrong way round, so though I should check.

Seat bolster refurb
My car has done a few miles and the seat bolster (plain black leather) is showing some signs of distress and wear. Anyone got any good products for refurb they have used?

Thanks

Sticky side of gaskets go against the lamp, so the gaskets installed already are correct.

As for the 02 sensors, you may discover when you get there, you won't want to do the job lol they can be a bugger to get out.

soddy
25-11-2012, 07:02 PM
there is stuff called CATAclean, which you add to the petrol, about the last 10-15 litres
in the tank. it is designed to clean the injectors, engine and the cat in a car and also the o2 sensors,
so may be worth a try before changing your sensors.

you are to take the car on a good drive to get it all through the engine and exhaust system, though as you
have parked up for the winter that may be difficult. if you can still take it out for a run then it may be an option.

Kaz-kzukNA1
26-11-2012, 12:43 AM
When ordering the parts around the exhaust area from US,
you need to be bit careful because the introduction of OBD-2 was several years ahead of Europe models.

If you use just the year model and engine size for selecting the O2 sensor,
you may end up with the wrong cable length.
Also, the sensor cable length is different depending on the country spec so
if you ordered the 'rear bank after CAT' O2 sensor from sparkplugs.com using Acura LHD 2001 NSX-T 3.2L spec,
it will fit but you will need to use different method for routing the cable.
Still, much cheaper than the Honda UK price.

For your tail light assy gasket, you may find additional info in my blog below;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?724-Tail-Light-Assy

For the seat bloster, please refer to my NSX Technical and Service Information Index 02 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9724-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index-02).
Several owners had good result using 'liquid leather'.

Care/Interior

Looking after the Leather seat - liquid leather (Link to the thread by the member 'PeteM') (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=45687#post45687)

Kaz

flyingsniffer
27-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the input all. I'll have a look at the O2 sensors when I have it up on the ramps. The idea of cleaning it sounds good - I'll try and get it out (any hints and tips on which one Bank 2 Sensor 1 is??) and physically clean it: I'm always a bit mistrustful of additives. If it looks bad I will swap it out.

The only other thing that is bugging me at the moment are the brake calipers, they could do with a repaint. It seems that Biggred are the favoured company, but is blanking off the brake lines and removing the calipers a DIY job or one best left to the experts?

For info I have also joined Danny Boy in the IOP/dark wheel combo. I had the wheels all refurbished by Letchworth Diamond Alloys (round the corner from Norton Way). They did a very nice job for sensible money. Here's a piccy

scottg
27-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Wheels look great Rob.
I have used Scuffmaster on my seats from http://www.liquidleather.com/ The bolsters on my car are very cracked so it hasnt come out like new but the colour is good and it's easy to use. There are some good threads on prime and videos on Youtube regarding painting your calipers.

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Regarding the O2 sensor location, the standard rule is that Bank 1 is always the one contains the #1 cyl.
On our NSX, #1 cyl is located at the rear bank and the closest to the TB cover.
Sensor 1 is upper stream or before CAT and
sensor 2 is downstream or after CAT.

So, [ Bank 2, Sensor 1 ] is the one at the Front bank upper stream/before CAT.

Please do not 'physically' clean the O2 sensor.
You can’t reach the sensor tip any way because the sensor structure is protecting it.
You will cause more damages.

For the same reason, please avoid using penetrating oil such as WD40 even for removing the old sensor unless you can thoroughly clean the sensor mating thread including the internal manifold/header pipe.

When you start the engine with the new O2 sensor, the remaining oil will smoke inside the manifold/header and may cause CEL.
It will take ages to burn off the oil that may have entered the new O2 sensor head and you will be driving your NSX with yellow CEL on the dash for many miles......

[Edit: One time, when I removed the front manifold for another owner, I didn’t touch the O2 sensor and was very careful not to spray penetrating oil anywhere near the O2 sensor yet I got CEL afterwards.
Since then, I made my own policy of not working on the exhaust area without having quick access to the spare O2 sensor.
Sparkplugs.com is great if they have the sensor in stock.]

Heat is your friend when it comes to removing the O2 sensor.
Some people had success by driving the car hard and immediately on to the lift before it gets too cold.
Idle rpm is not high enough to keep the heat around the O2 sensor thread so you need to be quick.

If you have exhaust shop nearby, they will have acetylene burner so just ask them to loosen it briefly for you so that you can remove it with ease once back at your place.

I have also used propane burner and it will take some time until you can get it red hot but eventually, does the job.

Depending on the sensor location, you may struggle to get enough space with all these heatshield.

Forget about the O2 sensor tool that has the shape of deep socket with slit at one side to pass the sensor cable.
Use the one that you can attach breaker bar or buitin bar.

Bigg Red no longer accepts the painting of NSX caliper.
They had several issues coating it and lost so much money.
I’ll ask them for the new price but at the same time, looking for other vendors.

Not sure whether it is fine to use powder coating rather than the polymer coating (although it is part of powder coating) because powder one will require thicker coating. I think this is one of the reason why Bigg Red went for the polymer coating.

If you have lots and lots of free time, you can paint it by yourself.
Depending on the method you use, you may not need the following overhaul procedure if you are doing DIY painting.

Any way, if you are going to send the caliper for painting, you will be forced to overhaul your caliper.
Although the shop will clean it for you, you must thoroughly inspect and clean any debris of blasting medium left inside.
You are very likely to be requested to remove pistons, seals, boots, parking brake mechanism, etc and just send the bare metal caliper body.

If you have experience and confidence in overhauling the caliper, then NSX caliper is nothing special compared to others.
You are dealing with one of the most important parts on any cars though.......

If re-using the brake hose, just hold it as high as possible with the fitting covered as soon as you have disconnected it from the caliper.
This will prevent the brake fluid from splashing everywhere.
Obviously, you must disconnect the hose mounting bracket or fixing bolts before doing so.

Good luck.

Kaz

flyingsniffer
28-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks Kaz! Very helpful reply as usual.

Shame about Bigg Red. If you find another company that offers a similar service, I for one would like to know.