PDA

View Full Version : Importing used NSX from Ireland

goldtop
26-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Just wondering how anyone here might have arranged the logistics for importing a car from Ireland (Republic)? I imported my MR2 from Northern Ireland and that was quite easy (partly because I got it transported over).

Some Qs:
* can you get UK insurance on a car that's still in Eire (i.e. to get cover before driving it back)?
* do you have to do any 'deregistration/export' paperwork at the ferry before it leaves Eire?
* oops - car has no UK MOT at the point of entry! What to do?
* likely to inadvertently break various UK motoring laws on the way back?
* can it be used on UK roads - temporarily - while the MOT/registration is done?
* if it was originally a UK-registered car, is it any easier to import than a JDM car?
* how/when to pay!? Wouldn't really want to make two trips, but carrying so much Euro cash!

Please let me know if there are any other important questions to think about.

TIA

Sudesh
26-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I'll PM you my number

scottg
26-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Just wondering how anyone here might have arranged the logistics for importing a car from Ireland (Republic)? I imported my MR2 from Northern Ireland and that was quite easy (partly because I got it transported over).

Some Qs:
* can you get UK insurance on a car that's still in Eire (i.e. to get cover before driving it back)?
* do you have to do any 'deregistration/export' paperwork at the ferry before it leaves Eire?
* oops - car has no UK MOT at the point of entry! What to do?
* likely to inadvertently break various UK motoring laws on the way back?
* can it be used on UK roads - temporarily - while the MOT/registration is done?
* if it was originally a UK-registered car, is it any easier to import than a JDM car?
* how/when to pay!? Wouldn't really want to make two trips, but carrying so much Euro cash!

Please let me know if there are any other important questions to think about.

TIA

My car came from NI so I am not sure of the differences but this is what I did.

Money - Took some cash and a bankers draft made out for the balance. To give the seller conbfidence I scaned a copy of the draft to him via e mail so he could varify it was genuine if concerned. This way I had some negotiating opportunity with the cash if it wasn't as described. Anything over 10,000 euros and you have to declare it at customs or it can be confiscated. I had less than that but was still asked and had to show paperwork to prove my reason for taking out a large ammount of cash.

Logistics - Flew from Southampton to Dublin and Ferry back from Dublin to Holyhead, then 7 hour drice home to the south coast.

Legality - Hagertys covered the car on the chassis number as it was on NI plates. I checked with DVLA and you get a grace period to drive home from the port (all be it 300 miles for me). When back in UK I had to MOT the car and then take the MOT, insurance and Irish Tax book to the local DVLA office where they issued me a tax disc (my car was originally registered in the UK so this made it easy and no additional cost). Then changed the plates and I was on the road. Was I legal on the way home? I think so but maybe I edged over 70 mph at times.

Ports - No problems at all at the Port other than an 8 hour delay and taking the slow crossing as the fast one was cancelled due to heavy seas (made it a very long day indeed)

goldtop
26-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks - my MR2 was from NI and that was similar (except for the driving part).

money - part bankers draft in Euro (presume bigger UK banks can do this), part cash? Should be possible if the seller is happy

insurance - on chassis number? So I'll make a few calls to find out about that

driving - hmmm... presume an Irish MOT-equivalent is OK for UK police if they stop and ask on the trip home?

NSXGB
26-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Have you found one then Goldtop?

I'm sure that their version of the MOT will be ok to drive on UK roads as with any foreign car travelling in the UK on holiday?

money - part bankers draft in Euro (presume bigger UK banks can do this), part cash? Should be possible if the seller is happy

driving - hmmm... presume an Irish MOT-equivalent is OK for UK police if they stop and ask on the trip home?

nobby
26-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Sudesh will be able to provide you with the information you need; but getting a car out of Ireland should not prove too much hassle and fairly straightforward, the only thing that is considered a hassle is getting there and home again ... and in the 21st century this is not very hard to do!

scottg
26-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I actually agreed the deal in Sterling and paid the same way at the sellers request.
I think as long as the car is legal on the road in Ireland you can drive home in the UK.

nobby
26-11-2012, 03:47 PM
that would be correct; the car will need MOT'ed to UK standard once brought home. As long as insurance company is kept informed, it should be a relatively hassle-free transaction - make way over, view car, agree price, pass over all documentation, advise ins company, drive off, ferry home ... job done. Then next days arrange with MOT place and call into local DVA and get the registration process going. You will need to carry out a full UK reg process if car has not been registered here before ... think thats it

I actually agreed the deal in Sterling and paid the same way at the sellers request.
I think as long as the car is legal on the road in Ireland you can drive home in the UK.