PDA

View Full Version : DIY ABS upgrade question?

amritsingh
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi All, first of all let me thank every one here for all the hard work that keeps NSX Club UK running
I have been a member for some time but i haven't posted before.

I am thinking of starting ABS upgrade project on my JDM 91 NA1. looking at pictures of the loom on other posts and it doesen't look very complicated
I can make my own loom if anyone has the Pinout or diagram of the upgrade loom.
done a lot of rewiring projects on my 91 Prelude but i think its time to start on the NSX
Has anyone upgraded NA1 to ABS with DIY wiring loom?

Kind regards

Amrit

NSXGB
01-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Yes, it has been done.

Cue Hagasan....

Hi All, first of all let me thank every one here for all the hard work that keeps NSX Club UK running
I have been a member for some time but i haven't posted before.

I am thinking of starting ABS upgrade project on my JDM 91 NA1. looking at pictures of the loom on other posts and it doesen't look very complicated
I can make my own loom if anyone has the Pinout or diagram of the upgrade loom.
done a lot of rewiring projects on my 91 Prelude but i think its time to start on the NSX
Has anyone upgraded NA1 to ABS with DIY wiring loom?

Kind regards

Amrit

amritsingh
07-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Why it is not possible to use S2000, Integra type r DC5, and other ABS modulators on the NSX
I have been doing a lot of research on other ABS modulators and unfortunately it’s not possible to use them because of TCS
NSX ABS modulator sends a pulse output from all four corners for TCS to use<br>

But on other cheaper ABS modulators cannot be used as the output pulse is not there

Sudesh
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Why it is not possible to use S2000, Integra type r DC5, and other ABS modulators on the NSX
I have been doing a lot of research on other ABS modulators and unfortunately it’s not possible to use them because of TCS
NSX ABS modulator sends a pulse output from all four corners for TCS to use<br>

But on other cheaper ABS modulators cannot be used as the output pulse is not there

Someone on Prime has used another modulator from some other Honda, can't recall now what it was.

I considered trying some of these other Honda modulators on my car as I don't have TCS, but was looking for some better info with regards to how the ABS would work.

From memory Kaz also posted some info about this, think the software is setup different.

NSXGB
07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Ah, was not clear from your original post whether you meant the whole conversion or just the harness...

There have been many posts and ideas on this but I'm not aware that anyone ever found a compatible modulator. My take is; bite the bullet and get the OE one. Everything will fit off the shelf, everything will work as it should and look how it should (ish). It's a chunk of cash to do (Probably best part of £2k) but IMHO well worth the money - brakes react so much better and you will never have to listen to that dreadful chirping noise ever again....

nobby
07-12-2012, 04:46 PM
If you use your NSX it's a worthwhile upgrade.
if your old one is causing hassles its a worthwhile upgrade.
Sudesh done the upgrade for my car, we did dabble into looking/trying another Honda variant but chose to just take the hit.
And as NSXGB says it provides a better braking solution anyways so decreases the chances of having a shunt and greater repair bill being received.

My take is; bite the bullet and get the OE one. Everything will fit off the shelf, everything will work as it should and look how it should (ish). It's a chunk of cash to do (Probably best part of £2k) but IMHO well worth the money - brakes react so much better and you will never have to listen to that dreadful chirping noise ever again....

A.S. Motorsport
03-01-2013, 11:21 AM
It's a well worth upgrade, certainly if your old module is leaking or the pumps have gone.
It does involve replacing a lot of hard lines in the front end.

We generally sell them in regular NSX trim but we also have the NSX-R system.
I'd need to check my price lists but its sub 2K iirc.

You do need a adapter wiring loom to make it all work in the digital system. (those are supplied in the kit)
Main issue i see when installing a module from let's say a ITR would be the completely wrong bias, if the system calculates and expects 65/35 weight distribution and tries to applying that input on a 49/51 car it is going to be a mess in terms of brake force.
I can for see the ABS Computer totally screwing it up by adding additional compensation to stop the over biasing but commanding a wrongly setup modulator will rend it useless.
Relegating it's effectiveness to a primitive ABS system, they biased the module for a reason if your going trough all the work do it right.