PDA

View Full Version : Latest pictures on new NSX

TheSebringOne
15-01-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/nsx/62345/honda-nsx-leaked-pictures/page/4/0#main-content-area

I have already posted on another thread, but thought I start a new one as I'm sure theres alot be be said!

Are those aero effect on picture 3 similar to the 599GTB?

Papalazarou
15-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I think it's pretty ugly. Especially the wheels and the front grill. Oh and the back end which looks like an unsophisticated American muscle car. hovever, it has a lot of DNA from current Honda's too.
I really wanted to like this car and perhaps it'll look better in the flesh. But it's not ringing my bell.

Cheers.

sorepaws
15-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Some fun doing a transformation from 1991 to 2013 NSX

http://youtu.be/i0YYkmIX6JM

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?10739-Silverstone-Classic-2013-26-28-July-2013&p=99679#post99679

NZNick
16-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Wheels are ugly, nose and rump too generic, interior stitching is nice though....

Will reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh.

nobby
16-01-2013, 08:15 AM
yeah me too ... at least 2 years away still
i like the interior shots ... very nice

gumball
16-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Wheels are ugly, nose and rump too generic, interior stitching is nice though....

Well.. After making judgment.. ;)

Looks like we thought it would really, this is the look they all have at the moment.
I'll take the 4c alfa instead.

NSX 2000
16-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Well I'm still happy with my order.

More info here http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c130115MDX-Prototype-NSX-Concept/index.html?from=r

Looking at the centre console photos it looks like it has a "mag ride" button like the ones found on Audis fitted with "mag ride"

Papalazarou
16-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Well I'm still happy with my order.

More info here http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c130115MDX-Prototype-NSX-Concept/index.html?from=r

Looking at the centre console photos it looks like it has a "mag ride" button like the ones found on Audis fitted with "mag ride"

despite all the bitching it'll probably be a great car. However, I still can't forgive it those wheels.
Just curious. Do we think there will be a new separate NSX club for these cars or just another category?

Cheers,

Lowndes
16-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I see the info link above mentions Honda's original torque control system for an "on-the-rails feeling" when cornering. Hopefully this is a better system than the PTV on my 997 turbo S which relies on braking the rear inner wheel. This wastes energy, wears out brake pads and you cant' switch it off or even know at what threshold it intervenes.

Don't like the sound of an intuitive interface in the "Human Support Cockpit" either. What is wrong with round dials with numbers and needle pointers?

Nick Graves
16-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I think you've failed to spot the pachyderm; the whole point of the new car is the e-SH-AWD system, which uses electric motors to re-direct torque as required across the front axle & a Li-ion battery in the centre console. Think of an Acura RLX in reverse. Nothing so crass as that old Porsche system.

The problem is according to rumours, on twisty circuits, the battery goes flat. So they're now trying to squeeze in a turbo-compound generator as well. Hence the wheels & everything have to be carbon fibre, so it doesn't end up weighing like a meteorite.

BTW, the interior is apparently only one of two proposals - maybe another at Geneva?

NSX 2000
16-01-2013, 04:13 PM
However, I still can't forgive it those wheels.
Just curious. Do we think there will be a new separate NSX club for these cars or just another category?

Cheers,

With regards the wheels as Nick has said they are part made of CF if you look at the close up photos of the wheels you can see the CF.

With regards the site I would like to see another category added. (Plus I think they are going to keep the NSX name as well.)

WhyOne?
16-01-2013, 04:16 PM
With regards the wheels as Nick has said they are part made of CF if you look at the close up photos of the wheels you can see the CF.

That is no excuse for looking, to this pair of eyes at least, quite ridiculous!

gumball
16-01-2013, 04:48 PM

I found the stitching to be generic. :p

Lowndes
16-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I think you've failed to spot the pachyderm; the whole point of the new car is the e-SH-AWD system, which uses electric motors to re-direct torque as required across the front axle & a Li-ion battery in the centre console. Think of an Acura RLX in reverse. Nothing so crass as that old Porsche system.

The problem is according to rumours, on twisty circuits, the battery goes flat. So they're now trying to squeeze in a turbo-compound generator as well. Hence the wheels & everything have to be carbon fibre, so it doesn't end up weighing like a meteorite.

BTW, the interior is apparently only one of two proposals - maybe another at Geneva?

Quite possibly; though I did appreciate that the SH-AWD featured torque redistribution using electric motors. What was not clear was whether this alone would deliver "on rails" handling, particularly if the yaw about the vertical axis is being created by differing torque distribution to the front wheels which are also dealing with slip angles created by steering inputs. At least the crass old Porsche system was applied to the non steering wheels, more or less instantaneously via prefilled brake lines, and was achieved without any additional weight penalty.

Nick Graves
16-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Well, Honda favours centre-point steering geometry (until someone fits wheels with the wrong offset) and they've had plenty of experience with ATTS (which formed the basis of the mechanical SH-AWD) across the front axle of some Preludes.

It's also an enhancement of the VSA that everyone uses. The big problem with SH-AWD was people tend to panic & to lift off, instead of over-driving the b ugger & letting the FREDs turn the car - it cannot without engine torque.

The advantage is, the re-gen from the inner wheel can overdrive the outer wheel (mechanically in the 'Lude) so it has more control than VSA/E-diff brakey solutions, which so many keen drivers bemoan.

That's the theory anyway; I remain to be convinced that it will be as involving to drive as the old-fashioned one.

Problem Child
16-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I found the stitching to be generic. :p

I thought the wheels had melted or been photoshopped to look that bad!

Lowndes
17-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Well, Honda favours centre-point steering geometry (until someone fits wheels with the wrong offset) and they've had plenty of experience with ATTS (which formed the basis of the mechanical SH-AWD) across the front axle of some Preludes.

It's also an enhancement of the VSA that everyone uses. The big problem with SH-AWD was people tend to panic & to lift off, instead of over-driving the b ugger & letting the FREDs turn the car - it cannot without engine torque.

The advantage is, the re-gen from the inner wheel can overdrive the outer wheel (mechanically in the 'Lude) so it has more control than VSA/E-diff brakey solutions, which so many keen drivers bemoan.

That's the theory anyway; I remain to be convinced that it will be as involving to drive as the old-fashioned one.

Sorry, lost in the alphabet soup here, but never mind. More disappointing is that Honda seem to be heading down the electotrickery route exemplified by, inter alia, the Nissan GTR. That would mean it was of little or no interest to me.

Price point is also an issue. Without any evidence to support it, my contention would be that to occupy price territory like for like with the 1990’s NSX the new car should be £150k. I may be wrong but that doesn’t seem to be where Honda are heading.

Nick Graves
17-01-2013, 11:49 AM
For the sake of clarity

ATTS =Active Torque Transfer System; a kind of overdrive LSD

SH-AWD = Super Handling All wheel Drive; the above only all four wheels.

VSA = Vehicle Stability Assist (or ESP in Bosch)

E-Diff = using a brake instead of a proper, mechanical LSD.

I agree that all these FREDs are TFM and I prefer a car I can make my own mistakes in.

The car may well be north of £150K by the time it gets here. It seems to be some sort of Ferrari track monster & not a super-911/Evora/GT-R type thing.

Lowndes
17-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the glossary of acronyms, presumably someone gets paid on piecework to produce this stuff.

As for the market position of the car, a track monster is not any more attractive to me than an electronic technofest. I think I would be looking for a cross between a 911turbo and a MP4 12C.

NSX 2000
30-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Going back to the wheel thing, what do you think about these wheels?

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k619/ecurie-ecosse1/C43EFE0E-CC77-46C7-A44A-8557B2B74E14-1090-0000013542F96FCB.jpg

simonprelude
30-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Going back to the wheel thing, what do you think about these wheels?

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k619/ecurie-ecosse1/C43EFE0E-CC77-46C7-A44A-8557B2B74E14-1090-0000013542F96FCB.jpg

Not too dissimilar.
Think there's nicer out there if you must stick with Carbon.

gumball
30-01-2013, 02:24 PM
The carbon is structural on the Honda, that is some carbon stuck in the spokes 'cos carbon is in', damn Chav Jags..

Nick Graves
30-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I do wish car stylists would stop sticking bits on top of other bits overlapping other bits generally. RR Ewok bumpers spring to mind.

It's the sign of disordered thinking and looks a mess.

NZNick
30-01-2013, 09:53 PM
The BBC are getting in on the act now (http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130130-if-you-like-the-acura-nsx) - this report is very complimentary about the NSX, and the prospect of the new NSX - especially the last line !!

britlude
30-01-2013, 10:35 PM
oh the irony... cos it's bbc worldwide, we can't see it in England....

BBC Autos (international version)

We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes. You can find out more about BBC Worldwide and its digital activities at www.bbcworldwide.com (http://www.bbcworldwide.com/about-us.aspx).
If you are looking for Autos content in the UK please visit TopGear (http://www.topgear.com/)

TheSebringOne
30-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Wasn't that limited edition million pound Lambo Murchie had full CF wheels?

NZNick
31-01-2013, 06:01 AM

Sorry, didn't realise that this was international only content.

I'll cut'n'paste it for you later.

NZNick
31-01-2013, 07:58 AM
It has been an agonising and prolonged tease.

Acura, Honda’s upscale division, introduced the NSX Concept at the 2012 Detroit auto show, promising that it forecast a coming successor to the brilliant, dearly departed NSX sports car. Then, at the 2013 edition of the show, Acura showed a more detailed second version (http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130115-acura-nsx-enters-sharper-focus), with a fully realised interior.

When is this car going into production? That is something to which Honda has not quite committed. “In only about two short years from now”, Mike Accavitti, Acura’s vice president of national marketing operations, said at the Detroit show. But as anyone who follows the gestation of would-be supercars knows, “about” can have remarkable elasticity, and details about the next NSX remain scarce.
We all know, however, what the old NSX was. Upon its introduction in 1990, it revolutionised the sports car market. Here was a sleek, mid-engine, all-aluminium supercar at a time when Ferrari and Lamborghini were still building with heavy-gauge steel. The original NSX was quick, despite initially having only a 270-horsepower, 3-litre V6 engine aboard. It handled brilliantly, too, slashing through corners as if its tires were chemically bonded to the pavement. Despite all that, the NSX, which was marketed in the UK and Asia as a Honda model, could be comfortably driven every day because the cockpit was roomy and the ride was not punishing. And since it was a Honda, it introduced an X-factor into the old supercar calculus: reliability.
This is, after all, the car that forced Ferrari to build better Ferraris.
The NSX remained in production through the 2005 model year. There are those who still contend that it should have become a perennial model like the Porsche 911, being constantly updated instead of replaced. There are even more who believe it was a betrayal when Honda did not have a successor ready when the first car was finally killed off. This is, after all, the car that forced Ferrari to build better Ferraris.
All Honda will tells us about the next NSX is that it will look something like the concept car. That, and it will feature a gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain that uses a direct-injection V6 and three electric motors to improve speed and cornering. Called the Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system, it calls for an electric motor for each front wheel, with the third helping with the rear wheels. All this will be coordinated by lots of computers that help vector power for better cornering, as well as a new dual-clutch transmission.
“How much total power will the new NSX have?” Next question, please.
“How much will it cost?” Even Honda probably does not know that yet.
What is known is that most of the development work is being done in the United States by engineers recruited from around the planet. And we know that when the new NSX goes into production, it will be at a plant in Ohio, where Honda has long operated.
Given the propensity of “only about two short years” to stretch to three, if not four, a supercar buyer may require the thrill of a next-generation NSX right now.

Ferraris are too common and Lamborghinis too crass. For the millionaire with a sophisticated sensibility, the mid-engine supercar of the moment is the McLaren MP4-12C. It comes from Britain’s McLaren, which has a racing heritage only slightly less glorious than Ferrari’s, and is the follow-up to McLaren’s legendary, 618-horsepower, 240mph, road car of the 1990s, the F1. Consequently, unlike so many other exotic cars (http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/ccx-v-stig) out there fighting for attention, this one has serious pedigree.
It backs up that heritage with astonishing performance and particularly well-applied high technology. In general specification, the MP4-12C competes with the Ferrari 458 Italia (http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/jeremy-clarkson-vs-ferrari-458-italia-series-15-episode-6) and Lamborghini Gallardo (http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/lamborghini-gallardo-sts-in-the-italian-alps): smaller than V12-powered monsters like Lamborghini’s Aventador (http://www.topgear.com/uk/lamborghini/aventador/verdict), but better handling, more responsive and more fun on a racetrack or the right road.
The 12C is built around a lightweight carbon-fibre tub with aluminium structures fore and aft, to which the drivetrain and suspension are attached. The engine is McLaren’s own 3.8-litre, 32-valve V8 that has variable valve timing and a pair of turbochargers, but lacks some leading-edge technologies like direct fuel injection. Rated at 616 horsepower, it is not a rev-happy screamer like the 570-horsepower, 4.5-litre, non-turbocharged V8 in the 458 Italia. Rather, it pulls through its accompanying 7-speed, dual clutch transmission like a Pratt & Whitney fanjet. And as with the Ferrari, the 12C is rear-drive only.
Getting the most from that thrust is a computerised hydraulic double-wishbone suspension at each corner. There are three separate settings for the 12C’s suspension system – Normal, Sport and Track – featuring progressively higher hydraulic pressure. In daily use, the Normal setting provides a relatively cushy ride, while in Track mode there is almost no perceptible body roll. Dive into any corner, no matter how ridiculously off-cambre or bizarre in radius, and the 12C bites into the pavement like a cheetah into a gazelle’s femur.
Engage the 12C’s launch control system and the car lunges forward with what feels like a disdain for normal physics. With the computer doing the throttle and shifting work, the 12C is so quick you do not have time for your life to flash before you; a driver would be lucky to make out two years of pre-school. According to Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/mclaren/mp4-12c/2012/road-test1.html), the McLaren moves from zero to 60mph in 3.2 seconds while obliterating the quarter-mile in 11 seconds flat with a trap speed of 131.5mph. It is simply one of the quickest cars ever built. That it is also incredibly civilised is brilliance defined.
Prices for the MP4-12C start at $229,000, and that, research reveals, is a lot. But it is slightly less expensive than the 458 Italia. For that money, however, the McLaren could stand to have more exciting looks and a less clumsy name. You might wait a few months, then, for the convertible, more concisely named 12C Spider, which happened to be James May of Top Gear’s car of the year (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/james-may-car-of-year-mclaren-12c-spider-2012-12-7).
And then, in only about two short years, you could trade it in for the eventual NSX.

NSX 2000
31-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Wasn't that limited edition million pound Lambo Murchie had full CF wheels?

I think you are right James, plus the last 911 GT2 had them as well, or at least they might of been an extra.

TheSebringOne
31-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Apparently the ones for the porker weigh a total of 41.2 pounds or 18.7 kg for a set of 4 !
Costing about $15,000 in the US. Hate to think what they cost in Sterling! Having said that,
its a well price compared to NSX Type R seats!

Nick Graves
01-02-2013, 03:54 PM

Well, we can't see Satan's Acura cake episode of South Park, either. And that's probably more unbiased than the Beeb.

Plenty of vids & general drivel on the Temple of VTEC.

NSX 2000
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Do we want to go to Geneva again?

http://world.honda.com/news/2013/4130206Geneva-Motor-Show-Display/index.html?from=r

Paul.

Problem Child
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Well, we can't see Satan's Acura cake episode of South Park, either. And that's probably more unbiased than the Beeb.

Plenty of vids & general drivel on the Temple of VTEC.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/new-honda-nsx-detroit-2013-1-15

Write up about the interior of the new NSX in Top Gear magazine Jan 2013

TheSebringOne
02-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Flat bottom steering wheel? Nice alcantara & stitching on top of dash (similar to Type R),
not sure of seats as looks a little sci fi? May be a little too much CF? I like the door panels though.

soddy
02-03-2013, 03:12 PM
looks fantastic on the outside, seen a new honda civic in the street one day and thought i do like honda's scifi designs lol.
interior wise, some nice designs, but i wasn't too fussed on the passenger dash air vents as i thought they look a little chucked in
and don't flow as well with the rest of the dash? maybe round vents, or is that too italian lol.

goldtop
02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Absolutely hate it. Nothing that seduced me with the original NSX aesthetic is present here. In either the overall shape or the individual details.

The interior has a 'wow factor' compared to the original, but that mish-mash of contrasting materials clashes more than it blends. It shows how keen Honda's designers are to avoid the criticism heaped on the old car. And those wheels... :(

The saving grace may be - indeed, must be - that the new car will run rings around the old one.

soddy
02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
yeah there is something to be said about the old nsx's design to this day as it still looks great. is the new nsx too audi r8 looking for you?
i suppose that's modern design for you and then they make all their cars have a bit of their flagship or sports models designs in them
so honda will have that with the headlights, front grills etc to an extent.
there are cars out there chervolet camaro for example that kept the design of the original with slight modern updates but look good.
so the final production version will be interesting in 2 years time is it?

with the modern v6 engine, drive train, electric motors and 4wd it will be indeed interesting to see how the two will compare for driving/feel
and as to which will be preferred.

NSX 2000
07-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Taken from Honda Press Release

Evolution of NSX Concept

The new Honda NSX Concept makes its European debut at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show; showcasing the evolution of the next generation supercar’s styling and design, it also provides a look at the possible direction for the interior design.
The exterior design stays remarkably true to the original concept styling, maintaining its low and wide stance with the dynamic and alluring proportions that are highlighted by clean, modern and simple surfacing, and edgy details that communicate supercar attitude and a high-tech feel.
The new NSX Concept offers a glimpse at a potential direction for the next-generation NSX’s interior design. The interior package boasts outstanding visibility, a strong driving position, and an intuitive “Simple Sports Interface” that minimises interior clutter, allowing the driver to focus on the driving experience. Consistent with the spirit of the original NSX, Honda’s designers have strived to deliver synergy between man and machine.
With the aim of delivering a new sports car experience that combines supercar dynamic capabilities with advanced environmental performance, the NSX will be powered by a mid-mounted, direct-injected V-6 engine mated to Honda’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive) system which is part of Earth Dreams Technology series and maximises the overall drive train efficiency, reaffirming Honda’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions.
As previously announced, the new NSX is being developed by a global R&D team led by designers and engineers at Honda R&D Americas, Inc. located in Los Angeles, California, and Raymond, Ohio. The new NSX will also be manufactured at a new production facility in central Ohio.

NSX Concept

Length, mm

Width, mm

Height, mm

Wheelbase, mm

Wheel size

19x9 (front)
20x10 (rear)

Tyre size

255/35R19 (front)
275/30R20 (rear)

TheSebringOne
07-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Dimensions are pretty similar to current model. As a comparison to NA2 pop up:

Length 4430 (100 shorter)
width 1810 (85 wider )
height 1170 (10 lower)
wheel base 2530 (45 shorter)
All in mm!

As well as power, I think one of the key thing is weight.

Nick Graves
08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Pity about the width increase & stupidly large wheels, but by modern standards it quite moderate.

There are rumours now abound regarding a mini-NSX. And a possible Honda-McLaren car too.

Famine to feast.

forumadmin
11-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Today I went to the Geneva Motor Show after work. Never been before, but as I had free tickets from, ahem BMW, I thought I'd take a look. So here is the NSX Concept. Took these snaps with my iPhone. Look nicer than a GTR, more futuristic than a R8. Don't like the Civic-like clear plastic on the front grill. The light produce next to no illumination, so they will change. No price given.

AR
12-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I know it is regulations etc, but the front end looks really tall, almost like a GTR, it destroys the mid engine look IMHO

NZNick
12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
I know it is regulations etc, but the front end looks really tall, almost like a GTR, it destroys the mid engine look IMHO

I was thinking that too - just what is under the bonnet? Must be all those big, heavy electrical bits.....

Hope that handbrake holds for the duration of the show.

Nick Graves
12-03-2013, 11:34 AM
The drive motors are tiny (apparently) & the battery is in the (high) centre console.

Cooling system maybe? I heard they were having trouble keeping the turbo heat away from the electrickery in the tranny in the back.

NSXGB
12-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Think I'd prefer if the head lights were a little less crazy, like this:

Nick Graves
12-03-2013, 06:47 PM
LEDs are the 'in' thing though. The RLX has them too.

They're probably about the same as HIDs in performance, so we're told...

Senninha
12-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I was thinking that too - just what is under the bonnet? ....

Gents, its a Honda and remember with our one it had to carry 2 sets of golf clubs, be able to drive on snow chains and a variety of other 'practicle' requirements, so apart from the obvious pedestrian safety from Brussels, there's probably a damn good boot under neath that front end ...

TheSebringOne
12-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Paul, if the boots in the front, then I assume its the reverse of ours?

Lankstarr
13-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Paul, if the boots in the front, then I assume its the reverse of ours?

Do you not drive your car enough to remember what end the boot is?

L*

gumball
13-03-2013, 07:45 AM
That was way back in the olden days, they hadn't worked out how to package the front end to allow boot space then.

goldtop
13-03-2013, 09:24 AM
That was way back in the olden days, they hadn't worked out how to package the front end to allow boot space then.

Pfft! Honda's engineers must have forgotten how to open the front boot of an X1/9 then. :)

Nick Graves
13-03-2013, 11:01 AM
That was in the days when cars were brilliantly packaged - you could get a polypin of ale and the roof in the front. And it was tiny.

These days, they need truck-sized wheel boxes and every available space is crammed with plastic boxes with wires sticking out of them. And they waste loads of space in all the over-styling.

gumball
13-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Pfft! Honda's engineers must have forgotten how to open the front boot of an X1/9 then. :)

Well apart from the X1/9, the 914, and possibly a few others..

Nick Graves
13-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I forgot about the Mark 1 Boxster!

gumball
13-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I forgot about the Mark 1 Boxster!

That's the spirit!

TheSebringOne
13-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Luke, just saying the new NSX might not have a rear boot!

I used to own an X1/9 until couple of years ago, it was like a tardis &
how on earth, such a small thing had front & rear boot!

gumball
14-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Only trouble was, they melted when in contact with air and water. If only FIAT had the foresight that the car might come into contact with air and water. Great fun little car.
Thinking about maybe a late sixties 500 at some point...

TheSebringOne
14-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I've heard the VS models around 1986 were using steel expose to the elements
when Italian were on strikes & also the possibility the steel was from Russia too?

Any old FIATS, get em wax oiled!

goldtop
15-03-2013, 10:17 AM
There's a bit of the X1/9 that's almost designed to rot - the triple skinned bit around the rear turrets.

But that restored Lido is absolutely gorgeous. (swoon)

Which (back on topic!) the new NSX simply isn't. They have gone for purposeful instead of elegance.

Nick Graves
15-03-2013, 10:49 AM
My 1987 was done in two-pack and was absolutely fine. It was really 1970s protectionism that resulted in absolutely sh it steel. Remember how you'd see a single-headlight DS in sound condition, next to a faired-in model half its age and a complete PoS?

My X1/9 had all the other QC problems though; panel fit was off on the LHS, DIY gear linkage, leaned-out carburettor...roof never blew off at speed though.

O/T; rumour has it the new NSX is some sort of racing/lap record halo car and thus will have a boot full of turbos etc. That's also because the battery-only version's performance was c rap, which blinkered management wouldn't accept and thus the turbos were an afterthought.

It's therefore not likely to be a charming luxury GT car in the mould of the old NSX. More like an NSX-R on a bad day.

NSX 2000
15-03-2013, 11:13 AM
O/T; rumour has it the new NSX is some sort of racing/lap record halo car and thus will have a boot full of turbos etc. That's also because the battery-only version's performance was c rap, which blinkered management wouldn't accept and thus the turbos were an afterthought.

It's therefore not likely to be a charming luxury GT car in the mould of the old NSX. More like an NSX-R on a bad day.

Where do you get this info National Enquirer?

TheSebringOne
15-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Twin turbos? That would be an interesting combo with 3 electric motors & DI V6?

Nick Graves
16-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Where do you get this info National Enquirer?

Temple of VTEC.

There's a guy who used to work for Honda and has contacts inside Acura, whose information seems credible.

Acura is developing the new car.

In the old days, you'd get nothing at all out of Honda until after the thing was launched. Of course, the goddamn' Septics can't keep schtum for a second...

Problem Child
23-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Temple of VTEC.

There's a guy who used to work for Honda and has contacts inside Acura, whose information seems credible.

Acura is developing the new car.

In the old days, you'd get nothing at all out of Honda until after the thing was launched. Of course, the goddamn' Septics can't keep schtum for a second...

25 UK based deposits taken so far......

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/demand-new-honda-nsx-strong

goldtop
23-03-2013, 03:43 PM
25 UK based deposits taken so far......

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/demand-new-honda-nsx-strong

The sceptic in me says it's pure PR. What's the betting that those cheques came from 25 Honda dealers - as part of news dripfeed.

ChrisR
23-03-2013, 08:03 PM
A few weeks ago a very reliable source told me there were 25 deposits.

Chris.

Senninha
23-03-2013, 11:07 PM
A few weeks ago a very reliable source told me there were 25 deposits.

Chris.

well I know of a few non dealer dippers ... Sadly one of them is not mine ... Bagsy a passenger ride with one of the lucky few please ...

Problem Child
24-03-2013, 03:07 PM
well I know of a few non dealer dippers ... Sadly one of them is not mine ... Bagsy a passenger ride with one of the lucky few please ...

Maybe we could buy one out of club funds and "timeshare" it amongst the membership???

gumball
24-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Maybe we could buy one out of club funds and "timeshare" it amongst the membership???

Can we buy a Ferrari instead? :D

Nick Graves
24-03-2013, 07:16 PM
The sceptic in me says it's pure PR. What's the betting that those cheques came from 25 Honda dealers - as part of news dripfeed.

The cynic in me notes it's just Autobore re-cycling an item that first appeared back in September-12.

Maybe Honda actually has more deposits, now more details are available.

goldtop
25-03-2013, 12:00 PM
There's no price yet, and while I'm sure that there will be some genuine demand, I don't buy into 25 punters sending a cheque (how old fashioned a notion that is) for £5k and committing to paying an unknown balance at an unknown point in the future.

Maybe there's been the chance for some insider-knowledge short-term gain - perhaps Mr H intends to deliberately restrict UK supply to encourage a bit of a feeding frenzy cum bubble at launch?

Am in Japan at the moment, so may see if H is displaying the car at Aoyama or Motegi. (Or if anyone knows a more likely location, please let me know.)

Silver Surfer
31-03-2013, 11:48 PM

ss

Silver Surfer
31-03-2013, 11:55 PM

ss

Papalazarou
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I know it's wrong to be predictably negative. But that is an abomination. Looks like it's built from technical Lego. All that potential! It's hard to imagine how they could have messed it up more.
Does anyone actually like this car? (My flame suite's on, so let me have it;-)

Cheers,

gumball
01-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Initially it looked enormous, but looking at the stats it's quite small compared to a lot of modern supercars,
But no escaping that it does look quite lumpen in the shots. We'll see what it looks like in the carbon/metal/flesh.

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

ss

I hate those wheels!!!

NSX 2000
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I know it's wrong to be predictably negative. But that is an abomination. Looks like it's built from technical Lego. All that potential! It's hard to imagine how they could have messed it up more.
Does anyone actually like this car? (My flame suite's on, so let me have it;-)

Cheers,

I like it, but will confess I'm not a huge fan of the wheels.

It's not a pretty car say like an Aston DB7, or the original TT, but it my mind looks nice and angular like a Maserati Ghibli II (Tipo 336).

Want I wanted was something different from our NSX not just a tiny change here or a twin exhaust here say like a 911.

Nick Graves
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I'll wait to see the finished article, before passing judgment.

But given Acura's appalling record of missing its targets/benchmarks my a mile, I'm a tad sceptical at this point.

Senninha
01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
.........Does anyone actually like this car? .........

I'm growing to like it as well as not liking several elements that are not growing on me at all.

Overall shape ... low and wide design is to be applauded given todays europrotected high nose lets not get sued by anyone restraint on design
Interior looks good but hope they can reduce the console hieght
rear end looks very well sorted apart from the exhaust tails ... hopefully these will change come production
Nice detailing as shown in SS's photos (thanks for posting)

Dislikes
Over styled front end - take a look at the Civic Wagon concept for how this could be cleaned up

Wheels ... but I'm pretty sure these are only for the concept car and wont go into production

Let’s not forget that when our car was launched most people thought it looked out of balance with too long a tail (to fit the golf clubs in) yet now, over time the timelessness of the design has served us well. For me the concept sits between MP4 and 458; let me expand. MP4 is and will be another timeless design that will always be respected. 458 was very 2010 with some over styled details. The Concept offers a combo of both and I hope, adopts more MP4 by losing some fussiness at the front.

If I had £5k to drop would I place a deposit ... probably no. Not because of anything wrong with the concept, but because I personally find new cars numb, lacking in occasion or real driving reward.

For reference I was fortunate enough to take a 30 min drive in the new Vanquish. Minor (disappointing) trim finish aside, the Aston clearly delivers huge performance, grip and stopping power as you would expect for your £224k. It’s also going to be quite exclusive at this price. But as exclusive as our NSX, probably not. Rewind 25 yrs and I was again fortunate to drive an Aston Martin. That time it was an big engaging V8 Vantage and if I was going to buy an Aston today, it would be the one I drove 25 yrs ago because I still have fonder more memories of that car than its younger sibling.

And it’s for this same reason that I own the NSX I do, because I still recall the excitement of driving one in 1990 at Swindon.

I hope for Honda the new Halo car is a great success and encourages them to launch further sporting models ... s3k based on the race car anyone, with 200hp rwd 2+2 styling ... sound familiar?

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
It looks ok in some respects but not the front as too its too futuristic!
Lets wait until the final production version is release.
The rear lights remind me of the AM One77?

AR
01-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Biggest disappointment is the Elephant in the room ( NA V6 ) IMHO.

Senninha
02-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Biggest disappointment is the Elephant in the room ( NA V6 ) IMHO.

But we all know why its in there my friend ... 2014 F1 .... V6 turbo with KERS power uplift ... or is that the new NSX powerplant (displacement aside) ... expect the marketing men & women to get really busy next year, especially if the rumoured Honda F1 engine finds itself in the back of the MacLaren F1 car ...

nobby
03-04-2013, 07:00 AM
i would also think the biggest factor is the legality's of producing an NA V6 VTEC is the Euro emissions laws and most likely the US's too are preventing anything like that type of engine anymore

AR
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
But we all know why its in there my friend ... 2014 F1 .... V6 turbo with KERS power uplift ... or is that the new NSX powerplant (displacement aside) ... expect the marketing men & women to get really busy next year, especially if the rumoured Honda F1 engine finds itself in the back of the MacLaren F1 car ...

Paul I agree that there might be some link, but this is what I had in mind for the next NSX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKogppTYio

Honda just decided to be GREEN and it's use of meeting emissions is a poor excuse IMO.

AR
03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
i would also think the biggest factor is the legality's of producing an NA V6 VTEC is the Euro emissions laws and most likely the US's too are preventing anything like that type of engine anymore

But other supercar makers have no problems with NA engines. Honda need to forget the V6 for a supercar and learn from the XJ220 fiasco. Just listen to that HSV 10 :-)

I know that many cars use a V6 in various forms and can attain astronomical speeds, but a smallish displacement, flat plane crank high revving v8,v10,12 makes the sort of noise that is pure heaven at the touch of the loud pedal.

NoelWatson
03-04-2013, 11:11 AM

How do Porsche manage with their GT3s?

AR
03-04-2013, 11:20 AM
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1301_2014_chevrolet_corvette_stingray_first_look/viewall.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrQrAn_hNA

Now the price of the next NSX and the performance better be right or this will hit it like a truck!

WhyOne?
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM

What about Lexus and is sublime LFA - 4.8-ltr V10, with dual VVT-i which also sounds absolutely glorious?

nobby
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
It was only a suggestion as to why the engine spec Ary mentioned was not used, just threw it out there as a possible reason, dont confess to be mechanically minded or know lots about engines ... sorry! :embarassed:

perhaps it goes against Honda's new green ethos as well ... either way we could all be blown away regarding its performance it could be amazing!

AR
03-04-2013, 08:19 PM
I think both Andrew and Paul S2 are right on, green ethos and pseudo link to F1.

Senninha
03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Ary,

i've listened to many sound clips / videos of the HSV and I totally agree ... It sounds fantastic!

only glimour of hope is that they may still release the bodywork and chassis but drop a high revving 200+ hp and go into bat against the Toyota GT ...

Maybe you need to buy an ex race HSV and convert to a road car ... Just make sure it's got that V10!!!

rgds Paul

WhyOne?
04-04-2013, 04:42 PM
It was only a suggestion as to why the engine spec Ary mentioned was not used, just threw it out there as a possible reason, dont confess to be mechanically minded or know lots about engines ... sorry! :embarassed:

perhaps it goes against Honda's new green ethos as well ... either way we could all be blown away regarding its performance it could be amazing!

Why 'pseudo' Ary?

If Honda do make a return to F1 as an engine manufacturer, I see absolutely no reason why they cannot genuinely carry over technology from the F1 program to a halo road car like the new NSX.

Nick Graves
04-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm growing to like it as well as not liking several elements that are not growing on me at all.

Overall shape ... low and wide design is to be applauded given todays europrotected high nose lets not get sued by anyone restraint on design
Interior looks good but hope they can reduce the console hieght
rear end looks very well sorted apart from the exhaust tails ... hopefully these will change come production
Nice detailing as shown in SS's photos (thanks for posting)

Dislikes
Over styled front end - take a look at the Civic Wagon concept for how this could be cleaned up

Wheels ... but I'm pretty sure these are only for the concept car and wont go into production

Let’s not forget that when our car was launched most people thought it looked out of balance with too long a tail (to fit the golf clubs in) yet now, over time the timelessness of the design has served us well. For me the concept sits between MP4 and 458; let me expand. MP4 is and will be another timeless design that will always be respected. 458 was very 2010 with some over styled details. The Concept offers a combo of both and I hope, adopts more MP4 by losing some fussiness at the front.

If I had £5k to drop would I place a deposit ... probably no. Not because of anything wrong with the concept, but because I personally find new cars numb, lacking in occasion or real driving reward.

For reference I was fortunate enough to take a 30 min drive in the new Vanquish. Minor (disappointing) trim finish aside, the Aston clearly delivers huge performance, grip and stopping power as you would expect for your £224k. It’s also going to be quite exclusive at this price. But as exclusive as our NSX, probably not. Rewind 25 yrs and I was again fortunate to drive an Aston Martin. That time it was an big engaging V8 Vantage and if I was going to buy an Aston today, it would be the one I drove 25 yrs ago because I still have fonder more memories of that car than its younger sibling.

And it’s for this same reason that I own the NSX I do, because I still recall the excitement of driving one in 1990 at Swindon.

I hope for Honda the new Halo car is a great success and encourages them to launch further sporting models ... s3k based on the race car anyone, with 200hp rwd 2+2 styling ... sound familiar?

regards, Paul

Sort of; the S3000 has been dusted off (after 5 years!) and is apparently slated for 2015. Except...it is going against the GT86 (2+2) and the 6/10 of the GT5000 engine is likely to be jettisoned in favour of the CTR's 300BHPish 2.0 turbo engine. There is also talk of a turbo V4 under consideration, for you VFR fans...

The S2000 will probably look like an S800, given the success of the N One Kei-car.

AR
04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Why 'pseudo' Ary?

If Honda do make a return to F1 as an engine manufacturer, I see absolutely no reason why they cannot genuinely carry over technology from the F1 program to a halo road car like the new NSX.

Pseudo because real F1 engines and kers would be too advanced/fragile for everyday street!

AR
04-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Paul believe me it has crossed my mind to buy a thrown bearing S2k and mate it to an ls1/ls2!

Senninha
21-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Sort of; the S3000 has been dusted off (after 5 years!) and is apparently slated for 2015. Except...it is going against the GT86 (2+2) and the 6/10 of the GT5000 engine is likely to be jettisoned in favour of the CTR's 300BHPish 2.0 turbo engine. There is also talk of a turbo V4 under consideration, for you VFR fans...

The S2000 will probably look like an S800, given the success of the N One Kei-car.

A bit like this then .... doesn't work for me even though it looks more like a modern day Beat ...

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/imagecache/article_image_480/honda-216101033563851600x1060.jpg (http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/honda-216101033563851600x1060.jpg)

Wish they would use this ....

http://cdn4.leftlanenews.com/photos/content/november2008/thumbnails5.0/nsxi-1_653.jpg

markc
16-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Properly official now... http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/mclaren-honda-reuniting-one-greatest-partnerships-formula-1-history/

Surely now the new NSX MUST now be powered by a 1.6Ltr V6 Turbo + Hybrid to make the F1 connection? However we all know that Honda PR can bo!!ocks up the simplest of marketing opportunities :)

Cheers

Mark

gumball
16-05-2013, 06:53 PM

http://cdn4.leftlanenews.com/photos/content/november2008/thumbnails5.0/nsxi-1_653.jpg

Toyota already make that one.

gumball
17-05-2013, 11:10 AM
A bit of a shame it's going to made in the USA, I'm sure the work will be up to scratch, but would be nice to have it made in Japan.

Nick Graves
17-05-2013, 04:11 PM
A bit like this then .... doesn't work for me even though it looks more like a modern day Beat ...

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/imagecache/article_image_480/honda-216101033563851600x1060.jpg (http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/honda-216101033563851600x1060.jpg)

No; the first one is a re-touched proposal for a CR-Z convertible, from the time when Honda's management had their heads so far up their arses it was like an illustration from Uzumaki.

They've got slightly more real again now.

It's more the success of the retro-cute N-One (and the 50th Birthday of the S800) has cause a re-think:

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gallery/honda-n-one-tuned-by-modulo-mugen-coming-to-tokyo-auto-salon_5.jpg

And they are envious of the GT86 so expect a 2+2.

The second illustration is a cleaned-up GT5000 (10/6 of the S3000's old engine) and is too big & too expensive to be anything other than an HSV.

NSX 2000
20-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Very intresting interview.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/14/acura-nsx-chief-engineer-ted-klaus-interview/

Looks like it will cost the same as a 911, but is that a 911 with or with out options ;)

WhyOne?
20-05-2013, 11:39 AM
So somewhere between £71k-£133k (911 UK price range excl. options).

That's helpful!

NSXGB
20-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I think we should have a sweepstake on the final cost of the new NSX, winner gets - nothing.

My guess is £130k.

goldtop
20-05-2013, 12:10 PM
My guess: take the price of the V8 Audi R8 in the USA in US$; that will be the UK price in GBP.

WhyOne?
20-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Well if there is an opportunity to win nothing.......£125k

nobby
20-05-2013, 02:06 PM
If they pitch it above £70k i think they will struggle with the domestic market due to the badge snobbery and it will only attract the select few and end up being a marketing disaster like the last one ... as this is HUK i suspect they will retail around £80k

interesting to see what the longevity options are for the car as they now have a roadmap planned out

gumball
20-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Lexus didn't worry about badge snobbery, put a stratospheric price tag on the LFA anyway.

NSXGB
20-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Lexus didn't worry about badge snobbery, put a stratospheric price tag on the LFA anyway.

What if it had been called a Toyota LFA?

Senninha
20-05-2013, 04:05 PM

and sold everyone whilst losing money into the mix ... bonkers

gumball
20-05-2013, 05:07 PM
What if it had been called a Toyota LFA?

The Acura badge will fix it, everyone knows Acura make posh cars, not those cheap Hondas. Ho ho.

TheSebringOne
20-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I guess between 80 to 90 but not over 100? :D

Rob_Fenn
21-05-2013, 02:17 PM
So is anyone going to bite the bullet? Can't wait for the first road test. At the moment i don't know how they'll be able to turn the weight into something to take on modern supercars. My concern is this has been a car so long in the waiting that elements of it will already be out-of-date.

gumball
21-05-2013, 03:57 PM
So is anyone going to bite the bullet? Can't wait for the first road test. At the moment i don't know how they'll be able to turn the weight into something to take on modern supercars. My concern is this has been a car so long in the waiting that elements of it will already be out-of-date.

But it will be good to have somewhere to play the old cassettes.

Nick Graves
21-05-2013, 04:29 PM
:D

When they say "911", apparently they really mean the Turbo but obviously, they don't wish to alert VW or Ferrari to the fact...

I'd not pay that sort of money for ANY car, I don't think; I seem to be turning into Ebenezer Scrooge (or Goode) as I get older. I'm almost tempted to take a punt on a deposit though...

Nick Graves
21-05-2013, 04:36 PM

It's not really been long in development; five years is typical for a clean-sheet design and it's only really the performance issues and FEA to keep the mass down that's the big problem. The Avengers car used a conveniently-packaged Donor chassis, remember...

Also, Honda is looking at ally-lithium alloys that are friction-welded and all sorts of trickery to keep the BIW very light. If they only package enough cells to buffer the turbo-compound generator (alleged!) when not powering the front wheels, the 4WD system may be reasonably unheavy. You've got to look at a Gallardo or R8 as a starting point, really. And they're not much heavier than an NSX-T F-matic, IIRC.

Rob_Fenn
22-05-2013, 08:12 AM
But it will be good to have somewhere to play the old cassettes.

Ha ha! True :D

Problem Child
03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/nsx/62345/honda-nsx-leaked-pictures/page/4/0#main-content-area

I have already posted on another thread, but thought I start a new one as I'm sure theres alot be be said!

Are those aero effect on picture 3 similar to the 599GTB?
Interesting interview with Ted Klaus, Design Chief at Acura.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19F07bmgYfY

gumball
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Only managed to get through six minutes. Up till then they had said nothing of substance at all.

TheSebringOne
03-06-2013, 11:34 PM
What I found reassuring is that the design was done in Japan and
that the engine, electric motors & drive train will be made there too.
Although the production & assembly will be in Ohio.

He also states the finish product will be far cooler than the concept, but
the final version won't be too far from to concept too.

TheSebringOne
09-06-2013, 08:50 PM
The latest video on Honda's website

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/hybrids/nsxconcept/

Problem Child
09-06-2013, 09:04 PM
The latest video on Honda's website

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/hybrids/nsxconcept/
Its a nice enough car, but it just doesn't grab me in the same way as the first time I saw a picture of the original NSX

Senninha
10-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I think the success will be down to two things ... the drive, will the deployment of the KERS and front motors really change the way cars in this segment perform and price, if its R8 money (or less for the launch models to get cars on the road) then there are enough with City bonusses and the link to McLaren for them to want to own for 6-12 months ...

The other point (so thats 3 things really) is whether Honda are prepared to learn from the Audi approach of releasing different versions every couple of years to keep the market moving, ie a Type R , GT3, convertible, maybe even a non-hybrid 'budget' version ... it was the one size fits all of the orginal that didnt help sales yet has helped all of us with the stability of current model values ...

Nick Graves
11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Ted Klaus is making all the right noises to suggest they have learned from their previous brand incompetence.

We'll judge by results.

NSXGB
28-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Robbed from Prime.

http://gtchannel.com/blog/scoop-acura-nsx-type-r

Rob_Fenn
28-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I think it looks great, personally. Having watch the interview the (American) behind the project though, i'm unconvinced and certainly not brave enough to put an order in until it's been reviewed.

NSX 2000
26-07-2013, 07:07 AM
It bit more info

http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c130725NSX-Prototype-Indy-200/index.html?from=r

Papalazarou
26-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Does anyone really like this? Hybrid aside, just looks like a Vauxhall to me. All that potential and this is the new 'NSX?'

nobby
26-07-2013, 09:03 AM
i can understand now why you mentioned the look of the 'scrap from luton' ... in this colour scheme yeah it very much looks like one. Dear God!

:(

Does anyone really like this? Hybrid aside, just looks like a Vauxhall to me. All that potential and this is the new 'NSX?'

soddy
26-07-2013, 09:29 PM
i think it'll look alright but as andrew and others say in the right colours lol.
hopefully they won't do an aston martin and let owners get one in their own colour choice, no jordan's pink nsx or some other terrible colour.

i always like to give a new car a year or so before looking at buying it, so most of the 'user' testing has been carried out and the problems
sorted out. all this hybrid technology and computers controlling things, lot to go wrong and how will it compare to the joy of rwd driving?

what will the fuel economy be like with the hybrid tech and light materials?

Silver Surfer
30-07-2013, 11:26 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/BlueBatmobile2005/Misc%20Pics/IMG_20130730_00151842.jpg

Hmmmm,,,,not so sure I like it now.

SS

Senninha
31-07-2013, 07:10 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/BlueBatmobile2005/Misc%20Pics/IMG_20130730_00151842.jpg

SS

Err, kettle ... pot ... black ... LoL

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/silversurfernsx/K5NSX21.jpg

goldtop
31-07-2013, 09:02 AM
They're entering DTM with it?

(to be honest almost all race-tweaked sportscars look ugly to me anyway)

Senninha
31-07-2013, 10:29 AM
They're entering DTM with it?

(to be honest almost all race-tweaked sportscars look ugly to me anyway)

I suspect its more likely to be JGTC, the Japanese GT series where the successfully raced both 'our' NSX and the interim 'new' NSX that could still emerge as the new S2k model.

The other formula might be the GT3 series against the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Audi and McLaren ... if they could be sucessful in this series then this is the one IMO that would drive sales

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
31-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Err, kettle ... pot ... black ... LoL

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/silversurfernsx/K5NSX21.jpg

DAMN..........You beat me to it! I'm guessing SS has his tounge firmly in his cheeck :rolleyes:

NSX 2000
31-07-2013, 10:35 AM

SS

Looks like an R8 GT3 in these photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/russellnightingale/5208928429/#

NSXGB
31-07-2013, 10:54 AM
DAMN..........You beat me to it! I'm guessing SS has his tounge firmly in his cheeck :rolleyes:

Have you been watching reruns of Allo Allo again??

Silver Surfer
31-07-2013, 09:04 PM
LOL ...

I have a limit I won't go beyond ... in my modification taste...The one above has surpassed it.

SS

TheSebringOne
31-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Certainly not a looker, but I do like the flames coming out of the zorst!

b1gbrad
01-08-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if this link is going to work, but have you guys seen this video yet?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153087155080402

havoc
01-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Hadn't Brad, no. But does anyone else think they stopped the video as it turned into a nasty tank-slapper?!? ;)

Don't like the race-spec car above...still not 100% certain on the looks of the new one...maybe it'll grow in the flesh (a-la MP4-12C)???

NSX 2000
19-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Just to add some meat to the bones I had a chat with Claude at the recent Euro meet at Le Mans. He (Claude) has a link with Honda Switzerland (but I can't remember what; or is it he owns Honda Switzerland). Anyway he was telling me that the info they have been told is that it will have a V6 engine with a turbo and Hybrid technology.

However the new NSX Concept-GT to race in the 2014 GT500 class has an in-line 4 with a turbo and Hybrid technology :rolleyes: http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c130816NSX-CONCEPT-GT/index.html?from=r

He (Claude) is also trying to organise a trip to the US in 2014 to the new factory in Ohio at the same time as the 2014 US NSX Fiesta. Would anybody be intrested in going?

Paul

b1gbrad
19-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Another pic - looks rather tasty!..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=496383583781590&set=a.401293129957303.95826.400874229999193&type=1&theater

NSX 2000
19-08-2013, 09:48 AM
A couple of videos I was sent by Honda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmJCaDuG1ho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmJCaDuG1ho)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKBYCpGMo8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKBYCpGMo8)

In the first video it does sound like a V6

TheSebringOne
19-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Looks nice in that dark colour & the angle of the shot, makes it look compact.

TheSebringOne
19-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks Paul for sharing.

I think they could have picked a different body colour!

I would think it should handle well in the wet, with it's front & rear drive systems.

havoc
19-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Just to add some meat to the bones I had a chat with Claude at the recent Euro meet at Le Mans. He (Claude) has a link with Honda Switzerland (but I can't remember what; or is it he owns Honda Switzerland). Anyway he was telling me that the info they have been told is that it will have a V6 engine with a turbo and Hybrid technology.

However the new NSX Concept-GT to race in the 2014 GT500 class has an in-line 4 with a turbo and Hybrid technology :rolleyes: http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c130816NSX-CONCEPT-GT/index.html?from=r

He (Claude) is also trying to organise a trip to the US in 2014 to the new factory in Ohio at the same time as the 2014 US NSX Fiesta. Would anybody be intrested in going?

Paul

Production version reported to have 3.5 or 3.7 V6 quite widely (the 4-pot turbo for Super-GT is for the regs), but not heard about a turbo. If it's going to have a combined 400+ bhp with ~80-100bhp of electrics, then I'd expect the engine to be n/a

sorepaws
15-09-2013, 04:36 PM
posted in error

Problem Child
15-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Another pic - looks rather tasty!..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=496383583781590&set=a.401293129957303.95826.400874229999193&type=1&theater

still don't like those wheels!

Nick Graves
15-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Production version reported to have 3.5 or 3.7 V6 quite widely (the 4-pot turbo for Super-GT is for the regs), but not heard about a turbo. If it's going to have a combined 400+ bhp with ~80-100bhp of electrics, then I'd expect the engine to be n/a

Apparently, they are considering both ATM; 3.0 turbo & 3.5 NA. They finally realised that R8/458 performance requires a similar PTW ratio.

Type-R will be turbo.

They claim to have learned their lesson & won't let this one wither on the vine like the old one. Hopefully they'll not be quite as bad as Porsche with annoying 'new versions' every seventy seconds, though.

Papalazarou
15-09-2013, 07:34 PM
still don't like those wheels!

I wonder if the design will grown on us? But for me I doubt it. Personally, I think the wheels are the least of its problems. However, the first time I saw the current NSX in a picture, I though it was pretty weird looking from some angles. It certainly looks better in the flesh. Over time I've grown to love it's quirkiness.

Cheers.

Senninha
15-09-2013, 09:16 PM
A couple of videos I was sent by Honda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmJCaDuG1ho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmJCaDuG1ho)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKBYCpGMo8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKBYCpGMo8)

In the first video it does sound like a V6

From these two videos they are running at least two mules ... if you look you can see different light arrays both front and back between the two videos, plus new exhaust outlet fro morginal concept.

This all kind of fits with Ted Klaus' view and rather joyful response that the final version will be the next one we see ... no more prototypes, just these working test bed cars followed by the real thing!

A few tweaks to the grille other then that looks great as it it to me ....

NSX 2000
16-09-2013, 09:25 AM
A bit more info from "evo" and a video as well.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/289516/honda_nsx_video_and_spec_details_2013_frankfurt_mo tor_show.html

Well I know I'm getting excited about it.

TheSebringOne
23-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Like Paul (S), front grille needs tweaking & not sure about the two rear lower
corners below the rear lights?

Procar Specials
25-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Latest pics from IAA 2013 in Frankfurt/Germany

http://www.hondaboard.net/wbb3/wcf/images/photos/thumbnails/large/photo-11353-86e392dd.jpg

http://www.hondaboard.net/wbb3/wcf/images/photos/thumbnails/large/photo-11352-64fca50c.jpg

http://www.hondaboard.net/wbb3/wcf/images/photos/thumbnails/large/photo-11351-01f88af1.jpg

http://www.hondaboard.net/wbb3/wcf/images/photos/thumbnails/large/photo-11354-4aacf360.jpg

Procar Specials
25-09-2013, 08:45 AM
The new Honda NSX Öko (Eco) engine was exposed too in a separated room.......(top secret) :)
Kaz will like to work on this........

http://www.hondaboard.net/wbb3/wcf/images/photos/photo-11355-6423fa08.jpg

http://www.hondaboard.net/wbb3/wcf/images/photos/photo-11356-71d6c3e7.jpg

TheSebringOne
09-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh dear, it looks like the new NSX will be an auto only!?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/nsx/62934/honda-nsx-makes-european-debut-geneva?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Honda

I hope not but it would not surprise me with the current trend.

goldtop
09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
It's not being saddled with the original NSX's conventional auto, is it though? Modern performance autos are faster than manuals, so that per se doesn't bug me.

Papalazarou
09-11-2013, 09:25 PM
It's not being saddled with the original NSX's conventional auto, is it though? Modern performance autos are faster than manuals, so that per se doesn't bug me.

No, but with so much else to hate, the gearbox really is a low priority.

mjames75
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Most high performance cars seem to be going down the paddle shift route, the new 991 GT3 is no longer manual, shocking! mainly to get performance figures, its sad to see as the fun will be taken out of driving! (if you prefer a stick shift like me)

goldtop
10-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Not driven one yet, so I've got an open mind. AIUI, boxes like VAG's DSG are faster than manuals, and should be as involving (in theory).

I have had a 'tiptronic/sequential' Honda auto (an old Accord SE Exec) and it was slow.

Nick Graves
11-11-2013, 05:47 PM
The 7-speed DCT ought to be a lot better than most, since it will accelerate the car electrically off the line and match revs. That avoids the jerkiness of most DCTs.

havoc
11-11-2013, 09:17 PM
It's "what the market demands"*, it gives quicker acceleration figures and better economy figures. So of course it's going to be DCT - everything else is nowadays! :(

As for involvement - I'm sure if you're going 10/10ths then not having to worry about HnT or finessing the clutch DOES help you concentrate on lines/brake points/not hitting someone on that pedestrian crossing. But really...on the road...in the real world...I'd rather be a luddite!!!

* i.e. it's what all the manufacturers have told the market is the best / newest technology, so all those new-supercar buyers HAVE to have it to show-off to their mates.

WhyOne?
12-11-2013, 09:04 AM
....... boxes like VAG's DSG are faster than manuals, and should be as involving (in theory).......

There is no argument that DSG's are now quicker than manual boxes. I can also accept that for some people they are preferential to all the faffing about that changing gear with a manual box requires.

What I cannot see or accept is that a flappy-paddle system can ever be as involving as an olde worlde manuale.

goldtop
12-11-2013, 10:16 AM
As long as I'm the one choosing exactly when to change gear (instead of the stupid guesswork of a conventional autobox), I don't care if it's a super-slick computer doing it, my left hand and and foot doing it, or a gang of highly trained weasels doing it. Whatever works.

What I cannot see or accept is that a flappy-paddle system can ever be as involving as an olde worlde manuale.

That's the difference between us - I have an open mind. :) For one, I prefer to have ABS, instead of the more involving non-ABS brakes. Same for TCS, etc. Some bits of the olde worlde are behind us: cholera, manual chokes, TVs you had to tune in with a knob, etc. ;)

simonprelude
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
So why can't Honda make a standard road car auto box that doesn't kill mpg?

I was very interested in the new CRV with the claim of 60+ mpg, until I hear that's the 2WD 1.6 manual, by comparison the 4WD 2.2 manual is high 40's mpg and the auto is low 40's. The current Rav4 gives better figures.

flyingsniffer
12-11-2013, 03:12 PM
My company works with several of the auto manufacturers and it has become clear that the 'stick shift' performance car is becoming a thing of the past. Although buyers are proving difficult to convince of the benefits of the DSG - type of gearbox, the benefits to fuel economy, emissions etc are overwhelming. Renault for example, have had a hard time from their buyers (not to mention the 'lads mags') with the latest Renaultsport Clio 200....but one look at the economy figures compared with the old model will tell all - not to mention that it's a much easier car to live with day to day.

The other new fad that adds to the confusion is that you can now get 'traditional' autos (with torque convertors etc etc) with flappy paddle gearshift options. Inside the car, they look exactly like more modern and more efficient twin clutch manuals.

nobby
19-11-2013, 03:35 PM
more news on engine development - http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/tokyo/2013/2015-acura-nsx-to-get-unique-longitudinal-twin-turbo-v6-2013-tokyo-auto-show.html

TheSebringOne
19-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Good find. Interesting that they have only decided to change the engine
configuration at such a late stage? The final comments suggest they are
taking competition very seriously & lets hope we get a great engine!

Nick Graves
20-11-2013, 06:50 PM
It was because the original car was uselessly slow so they had to turbocharge it and that created heat management issues.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/honda/nsx/ns/honda_nsx_eng_ns_1118132_717.jpg

Axial turbos are a novelty.

There is talk of direct-acting camshafts with VTEC, like Porsche.

markc
23-11-2013, 08:24 PM
It was because the original car was uselessly slow so they had to turbocharge it and that created heat management issues.

That and the fact that the car would have to be about 8ft wide to accommodate that MASSIVE gearbox/diff assembly in it!

Nick Graves
24-11-2013, 02:40 PM
:D

Considering there's an IMA, space for the driveshafts, two clutches and the cogbox, it's actually very compact.

What gives lie to it is that TINY engine - it's pared-down like a F1 racing unit. I thought my J35 was compact...

Packaging schematic:

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/honda/nsx/ns/honda_nsx_det_ns_1118131_1600.jpg

markc
24-11-2013, 06:13 PM
What gives lie to it is that TINY engine - it's pared-down like a F1 racing unit...

Such a shame, and a huge missed marketing opportunity, that it isn't actually the pared down F1 unit or at least the 1.6 V6 Turbo to make that connection.

Mark

Nick Graves
24-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Nah, ought to be a proper relaible road going unit. Not some racing bag o'shi'ite.

I know BMW used to make F1 lumps out of old 2002 blocks, but you cannot really go the other way.

But this x35T looks like it uses a LOT of 'bike/racing technology - it's very lean-cast indeed.

Fulcrum
09-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I am new to this forum although I acquired my own NSX about a year ago. 1995 automatic model in white with a few mods including BBS wheels and a Type R engine cover.
Due to a leg problem it was either an auto or no NSX. No contest there!

Regarding the subject of the new NSX, I thought that you might be interested in a publication that my son brought back from Japan last week.
The first 30 pages are dedicated to the new model but the remaining 90 pages contain lots of interesting stuff such as old advertising material and year by year spec data for what they refer to as First generation models.
There is also a section which chronicles the various competition models.
I have attached a few scanned pages from the book although it is a pity that all of the text is in Japanese and to further confuse me that the back page is actually the front page.
Assuming that my scanner starts working again I will post more pages ASAP.

I don't believe that it is available in English as I have so far drawn a blank but something turns up I will post the details.

TheSebringOne
09-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Welcome! Thanks for the information about the Japanese publication. Its a shame we can't get an English version.

Was your car previously from Scotland?

andystevo
09-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I suspect it's Hondaboy's old car.

Problem Child
10-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I suspect it's Hondaboy's old car.

sounds like it! We will therefore need the publication translated from Japanese to jockish to english!

AR
10-12-2013, 04:32 PM
I remember that car:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8943-1995-White-NSX-For-Sale

Fulcrum
10-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes, and it still resides north of the border.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the UK but up here any NSX is a very rare sight although I did see a red one on German plates the other day. I think that it must have been lost!

andystevo
10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes, and it still resides north of the border.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the UK but up here any NSX is a very rare sight although I did see a red one on German plates the other day. I think that it must have been lost!

South Lanarkshire? That makes two of us then. You can't be far from me!

Senninha
11-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Welcome, good to hear it's found a good home and bringing pleasure yet again ... With more owners in the north of our little island it would be good if an event could be arranged to bring the southern contingent north .... Let's face it, it's closer than the 'Ring and you lucky people have some great driving roads I for one would love to experience!

i hope some takes up,the challenge ....

l look forward to the magazine photos ....

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
12-12-2013, 05:21 PM
This video has been posted before but I only saw it yesterday. We now know that the engine is in the wrong position in the video.

http://youtu.be/P6lZE37gBzs

hazman
17-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I heard from a pretty reliable source that the new NSX is aiming for a 600bhp V6 built by cosworth + 300bhp electric. If these figs turn out to be true, could be a real gamechanger like the original. P1 performance for R8 money - here's hoping!

WhyOne?
17-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I heard from a pretty reliable source that the new NSX is aiming for a 600bhp V6 built by cosworth + 300bhp electric. If these figs turn out to be true, could be a real gamechanger like the original. P1 performance for R8 money - here's hoping!

That all sounds pretty unlikely to me!

mjames75
17-12-2013, 12:06 PM
That all sounds pretty unlikely to me!

agreed, can't see Honda not using their own Engine........

hazman
17-12-2013, 02:02 PM
He reckoned an evolution of this: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1301679

TheSebringOne
17-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree too that I can't see Honda not using their own engines in a halo car.

Also being compared to a Mac P1? I'm not sure either. I would happy to see 450-500 bhp & 100-150 electric
combo motor, which may be more realistic?

goldtop
17-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Isn't the relevant McLaren going to be the P13?

TheSebringOne
17-12-2013, 10:33 PM
I thought that was aimed at the 911 as similar on price & power but its not a halo car or a hybrid.

Senninha
19-12-2013, 07:38 AM
I thought that was aimed at the 911 as similar on price & power but its not a halo car or a hybrid.

James, I think you're missing Goldtop's point ... the P13 is going to be the 'budget' Mclaren albeit probably top end of the supercar budgets between £80k and say £120k ... this would capture the 911, R8\10, GTR, Gallardo, NSX is my understanding ...

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
19-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Whoops Paul, I get Goldtop's point now. :)

I think I got the wrong end of the stick after a heavy weekend! :(

WhyOne?
20-12-2013, 09:35 AM
To my eye's, this is a good looking thing, and presumably competition for the new NSX:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29096

AR
20-12-2013, 12:44 PM
This one almost slipped under the radar as future competition:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/report-mercedes-benz-sls-replacement-to-be-called-gt-next-e-class-gets-four-cylinder-255343/

The thing is that the NSX was a fantastically engineered and executed ( for the most part ) conventional time when it came out. This new version with the e motors as cool as it might sound, just does not seem to follow the spirit. Lets hope they are ditched in a GTR version or some other special.

Senninha
21-12-2013, 08:55 AM
To my eye's, this is a good looking thing, and presumably competition for the new NSX:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29096

http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/29096/Lamborghini_Huracan_01-t.jpg (http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/29096/Lamborghini_Huracan_01-L.jpg)

So in the mid-range supercars there is the Italian flair (I call it over styling) of the 458 vs the more classy UK styling of the 12C

This could be the entry level Italian Stallion vs the Japanese (albeit built in the USA) Samurai, that will quietly ('coz its got batteries) overcome the competition .... and iwth what look to be massive blind spots on the Huracan, the NSX would not be seen coming!

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
22-12-2013, 12:55 PM
If the new NSX is being pitched at the mid super car market, ie
the likes of the 458, 12C, Huracan etc. Price wise this means
above £160K plus options up to £200K, then Honda will struggle
to sell many?

goldtop
22-12-2013, 08:03 PM
My understanding is still that the new NSX will be primarily priced in US$ to compete with R8, mid-range 911 (and P13). May mean that the UK£ price will be unattractive?

NZNick
22-12-2013, 08:04 PM
In this Honda newsletter (http://dream.honda.co.uk/?s3campaign=HN_hm4889_honda_dream_enews_winter_201 3&s3advertiser=s3email&s3banner=dream-winter-2013) (page 5/17, sub-page 3), it states that the new NSX will have carbon ceramic brakes., and has a pic of the new NSX seat on the following page (6/17, sub-page 7).

I sure hope that the new NSX isn't priced at 458, 12C levels - it needs to beat them on price, spec and tech to stand any chance of getting more than token sales....

Rob_Fenn
23-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Pretty sure in the video i've seen with the project leader, it was going to be 911 Turbo type pricing.

Did the NSX cost £70k back in '91? If so, that's £127k in today's money. The latest Turbo is about £10k shy of that.

AR
24-12-2013, 10:40 AM
anybody seen the price on the MC12s lately???

TheSebringOne
24-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Rob, I think in 91 with its release, it was £55K, rising to the last pop ups coupe at £70K & £77K for targas & then £60K for non pop ups.

If the new car going to be priced £120-£130K range, it will be in a competitive market!

Ary, are you talking about new prices or second hand. I believe they are lagging behind the 458 by about £20K in 2nd hand for similar
age & spec.

NSX 2000
19-01-2014, 09:37 PM
http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/01/14/acura-nsx-concept-pops-up-at-acura-dealer-in-shanghai/

I really like the 2nd picture.

hazman
08-02-2015, 08:41 PM
agreed, can't see Honda not using their own Engine........

Saw the guy again just recently. It's UK cast head and block. Cosworth doing the machining & valve train, then US for final assembly. He's been for a passenger ride and says it's epic. He said production engine rated to 550 hp, but likely to be de-tuned (perhaps not for type r) then obviously electric on top of that. Sounds encouraging...

Pride
08-02-2015, 09:06 PM
So it looks as though vtec technology has seen its finest days in the best NSX of all, the NA1 & 2. :)

Malcolm Feth
05-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Some of my pictures of new NSX. It looks really nice in flesh.
I've seen new civit typer, but it it is rather disappointing.

Check out my small gallery from Geneva for more photos (not NSX only) ;)
http://www.nineteen80one.com/geneva-international-motor-show-2015-photos/

http://www.nineteen80one.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Honda-NSX-front.jpg

http://www.nineteen80one.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Honda-NSX-back.jpg

Pride
05-03-2015, 08:35 AM
What a fantastic selection of pictures, beautifully taken, the NSX colour looks totally stunning compared to the so called "professional" washed out pictures in some of the show press.
Nice one Malcolm :)

nobby
05-03-2015, 07:42 PM
going to geneva on sat for a day trip see the new nsx and the ctr for my own eyes