PDA

View Full Version : engine management light and TCS light on

a3cop
17-01-2013, 08:35 PM
After starting engine 2 seconds later engine management light and TCS light come on (not all the time ) I have changed the drivers side ABS sensor as the flash code says but still the same.
Any ideas or has any one got a TCS unit for sale.
Cheers A3cop@hotmail.com

vtecdirect
18-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Have you read fault codes properly? Did you use a new/genuine abs sensor? Unusual for tcs unit to be at fault, much more likely its an ABS wheel sensor.

a3cop
18-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks yes I used a honda sensor the code was 4flash and 1 quick which reads drivers side front I have changed on about 5 yrs ago and this cured the problem then should I take the sensor back to honda ad change it for another

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi, a3cop.
It will help if you can share bit more information about your NSX.
Year model, any modifications, MT/AT, etc, etc, etc......

As the member 'vtecdirect' mentioned, first thing is to read the error code properly.
It seems like you got error code 41 or 4-1 but was it for the CEL (Check Engine Light) or for the TCS?

If you got CEL followed by the TCS but WITHOUT ABS/ALB warning light, quite often, it is the O2 sensor related. There is communication link between ECU and TCS.
From time to time, intermittent failure on Main Relay could trigger this but O2 sensor failure has higher probability of causing this specific combination of warning lights (CEL+TCS without ABS).

For your reference, if the error code 41 was for the CEL, then it was for the Front Bank (Primary) O2 sensor Heater Circuit and you can easily check it with multimeter as the connector is near the Oil dip stick unless you have moved it for aftermarket header installation.

From your old post in Aug/07, you seemed to have replaced at least one wheel speed sensor at the front.
I hope you have cleared the error code stored inside the TCS (and ABS) unit at that time.
Again, I need the year model info for the correct procedure unless you have disconnected the battery.
On the latest ABS, even disconnecting the battery won’t erase the error code.

I’m afraid, replacing the wheel speed sensor won’t fix the CEL and unless you have pulled out the light bulb for the ABS/ALB warning light, it is very unlikely to be wheel speed sensor related.

The wheel speed sensor is connected to the ABS controller so the raw signal will first go through the ABS I/F circuit.
Inside there, the signal is filtered and voltage level converted before being passed to the TCS controller.

Therefore, if you have the wheel speed sensor failure, 99.9% of the time, you will get both the ABS and TCS warning lights.

Kaz

a3cop
19-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks Kax,
I have owned the car for ten yrs it is a 1997 model no modifications only problem that I have had is the abs sensor and a problem with the electric steering which was fixed by my local tv man replacing a relay.
The engine management and abs light do not always come on. If it comes on and then you switch the engine off and start it again the lights sometimes do not come on and will not come on while driving. I thought that the error codes keep upto 3 codes. I have taken the fuse out to clear but the code still shows should I disconnect the battery?
I appropriate you help cheers A3Cop

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi, a3cop.

Based on your information, it is not clear exactly which error code(s) you got at each controller(s).
There is a possibility that you are looking at the previous error code(s) that were not cleared last time.
Also, you may have multiple issues.

Therefore, I recommend you to carry out the following in this specific order.

Not sure about the road condition around your area but you can do most of the check without driving your NSX.

0. If you don’t have access to the Work Shop manual, you can download it from NSX Prime.

1997-2005 Service Manual.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/file/qyzztnamtxy/1997-2005%20Service%20Manual.zip)

Unzip and open any of the pdf file and just click on the ‘Main Menu’ tab at the top of each page.
This will take you back to the Index page and by clicking on the ‘blue’ text, it will take you to the appropriate section.

1. Please refer to the following link on how to read the error code;

How to read the error code... SCS terminal (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9229-How-to-read-the-error-code...&p=85855#post85855)

You seemed to have already read the error code and already took the Clock fuse out so no need to read it again at this point.
The above link is for the ECU (Engine Control Unit) but you can use it for the TCS, ABS, EPS, etc controllers.

It is very important to read the first part of the contents in the above link.

As you can see, some of the controllers such as ABS has time out on displaying the error code.
After a short period, it will no longer repeat the error code and you must switch off and on the IG key again.

Also, some of the controllers will not show combination of long and short blink.
Instead, they will only show the short blink with 1sec interval to distinguish Main and Sub codes.

2. Double check that your batter terminals are clean and secured.
The battery has to be in healthy condition.
Low voltage or if you need to jump start the car, you are very likely to trigger false warning lights.

3. Remove the 7.5A ‘Clock’ and 20A ‘ABS 2,3’ fuses.

Wait for about 10sec and then place them back in their original position.
This will clear all of the ECU, ABS, TCS, etc error codes for your year model.

You seem to have removed the Clock fuse already but please make sure to do it again at this point.
Both fuses are located at the same place under the bonnet inside the pentagonal Main Relay box.
This process is very important to start fresh investigation into your issue(s).

4. Start the engine and warm it up. Do not move the car.

5. If you get any warning lights, stop the engine and read the error code(s).
You need to tell exactly what error code you saw on which controller (CEL, ABS, TCS, etc.).
Do not clear the error code by pulling the fuse(s) out at this stage.
Ignore the procedure #6 onwards if you got CEL at this point.
When the weather gets better, carry out the test driving to see whether you get additional warning lights or not.

6. Following on from procedure #4, if you didn’t see any warning lights, then keep warming up the engine until the coolant temperature gauge reaches the normal operating point.

7. Stop the engine, pull the 'Clock' fuse out for 10sec, put it back and then start the engine again before it cools down WITHOUT any loads.
Do not move the car.
This means, all the lights Off, switch off the CCU (Climate Control Unit), switch off the audio head unit, do not touch the TH pedal, do not touch the rear glass defogger switch or any other switches.
Keep running the engine WITHOUT touching anything for 15min.

This process is required to re-learn the coefficient value for fuel timer calculation.
Every time when you disconnect the battery or pull the 'Clock' fuse out, you are erasing the certain part of the ECU memory and thus, ECU needs some time to adjust itself for your latest engine condition.

You could skip the re-learn process and the ECU will eventually adjust itself but it will take awful long time and you could be wasting lots of fuel for many days/weeks depending on how you drive your NSX.

8. Stop the engine and when the weather gets better, carry out test driving until you get the warning lights.
Once you got it, stop the engine and read the error code(s).
You need to tell exactly what error code you saw on which controller (CEL, ABS, TCS, etc.).

9. Carry out required process to fix the issue based on the error code(s).

It may sound complicated but it's not.
In fact, you have already carried out most of the procedures.
You just need to do them in specific order at specific timing.

Kaz

a3cop
21-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks Kaz
I will keep you informed

Mick
A3cop@hotmail.com

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-01-2013, 10:50 AM
No worries.

Please note that I have updated procedure #7 as I forgot to cut and paste the important sentence asking you to pull the 'Clock' fuse out before re-starting the engine for 15min.

Also, added extra info.

Kaz

a3cop
30-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks Kaz
Seems like I jumped to the wrong conclusion looks like front o2 sensor is at fault not abs sensor just ordered one keep you informed
Cheers Mick