PDA

View Full Version : Snap ring issue and solution?

marvalge22
21-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Have a question about the snap ring issue that certain transmissions had. Was looking at 2 transmission up for sale in the US and they are in the snap ring issue range. My question is can it be fixed ? other then having it replaced with a 6-speed or a newer transmission.

If for example i buy the transmission and find out that it does have the wider gap for the snap ring then is there any other way to get it fixed. Like say a wider snap ring ?

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Although it is widely known as ‘snap ring failure’, it is nothing to do with the design spec/quality of the snap ring.

In fact, it is the machining accuracy issue on the trans case and thus, the only reliable way of repairing it is to replace the trans case itself.

Please note that not all of the transmissions that are inside the 'snap ring issue range' will fail.

At the same time, any transmission with similar design (snap ring in the bearing groove) could experience damage to the snap ring.
It can happen on NSX as well as on other models such as Civic, etc.
Hence, it happened on the NSX transmission outside of the declared range but just very rare.

Kaz

marvalge22
22-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Although it is widely known as ‘snap ring failure’, it is nothing to do with the design spec/quality of the snap ring.

In fact, it is the machining accuracy issue on the trans case and thus, the only reliable way of repairing it is to replace the trans case itself.

Please note that not all of the transmissions that are inside the 'snap ring issue range' will fail.

At the same time, any transmission with similar design (snap ring in the bearing groove) could experience damage to the snap ring.
It can happen on NSX as well as on other models such as Civic, etc.
Hence, it happened on the NSX transmission outside of the declared range but just very rare.

Kaz

Yes i have read about it on NSXprime and am aware that it is the fault of the case itself. If i opt. for the transmission then replacing the snap ring is a must i presume as the owner has no idea how many miles it has.

But thanks Kaz. for the info.

nigel
27-01-2013, 10:29 PM
In addition to what Kaz referred to, the mileage really has nothing to do with whether it will fail or not.
It's the case of if your particular case had the correct snap ring groove cut in it from manufacture. There are some I know of that have been track cars in the "range" that have never given any problem at all.
It's relative to when that particular case was cut, to how new or "sharp" the cutting tool was and did it allow the groove cut out of width tolerance from the blueprint specification.
I'm positive Kaz can elaborate if you need but that's the short, layman reason.

The repair / exchange of the non-spec case isn't that difficult except other than the removal of the transmission to do the job if you feel the necessity to do it.

Cheers
nigel

A.S. Motorsport
29-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Like others above pointed out it's rather hit en miss affair and rather unpredicable if it will go and when for cars in range.
Generally we sell a new transmission casting/casing from Honda, OR a used transmission.

A lot opt for the casing and refurbishing there old one.

mutley
05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I had a "Snap Ring" issue with my car a few years ago. I know the price of new gearbox casing was expensive, but all I did was replace the Snap ring (I think it cost me about £3.60) from Honda. I figured for that price it was worth a gamble, and I already had the box off the car as I was doing the clutch at the time. I opened up my gearbox, manages to get the broken bits of the old snap ring out, replaces it with the new one, and since then I have driven the car over 20K miles and had no problems at all. Not bad for under 4 quid!

Jim

goldnsx
05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
...but all I did was replace the Snap ring (I think it cost me about £3.60) from Honda.
Even for the ones not in snap-ring-range: change it and the countershaft bearing whenever the gearbox is out of the car.

Back to topic: changing for a wider snap-ring will import an unknown failure-rate of the non-OEM wider snap-ring. I'd better change the one transmission case with the groove, it's a better insurance than gambling.

I agree with Kaz, it happened to non-snap-ring-range-cars but seldomly. The better question is why the hell are so many gearboxes in Europe in the snap-ring-range?! I've heard from a lot of failures in Switzerland (like every second) but we have mainly 91/92.

marvalge22
22-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Not to resurect a old post but i got my transmission from the US. Not the one i bought as the guy was selling two of them. And guess what :) snap ring is shattered. Good news is that it looks like it has shattered and the owner has just stoped the car to prevent more damage. Ordered a new snapring for 5,69 euro. Will take the transmission apart on the weekend. Any idea on what the non defectiv snapring gap is ? or should be ?
Can measure it and then know what to do.

Other then the snapring it look clean and well held.

Seen on a few forums that even with a defectiv snap ring some transmission have been going good upto 15 year. If im able to get 20k + with just replacing the snapring i would be happy lol :)

As mutley pointed out the case itself costs a lot. Honda here is asking over 1000euro. Transmission i got for about 1400euro.

rkanaga
22-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Not to resurect a old post but i got my transmission from the US. Not the one i bought as the guy was selling two of them. And guess what :) snap ring is shattered. Good news is that it looks like it has shattered and the owner has just stoped the car to prevent more damage. Ordered a new snapring for 5,69 euro. Will take the transmission apart on the weekend. Any idea on what the non defectiv snapring gap is ? or should be ?
Can measure it and then know what to do.

Other then the snapring it look clean and well held.

Seen on a few forums that even with a defectiv snap ring some transmission have been going good upto 15 year. If im able to get 20k + with just replacing the snapring i would be happy lol :)

As mutley pointed out the case itself costs a lot. Honda here is asking over 1000euro. Transmission i got for about 1400euro.

Dali sell the casing for $825

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1019

My box was in the range and as it was out for another reason even though it had not failed I elected to change the snap ring and the upper case (the one with the dodgy slot) just to be sure.

Yours clearly does have a slot that is out of tolerance as the snap ring has gone. Do you know the mileage at which it went? If not then simply replacing the snap ring will not protect you from a further failure. It depends on your attitude to risk I suppose but if it was me and with the box already out I would replace the case.

cheers

Robin

marvalge22
23-05-2013, 05:19 AM
For me it will depend on how bad the gap/slot for the snap ring is. If its that bad then i will just have to get a new upper case. Well the guy said that the transmissions were replace as they were in the range...but i dont think that was not the case as it can clearly been seen that someone has opened it up to see the snapring. Funny thing is when i removed the bolt to see the snapring it looked like it was OK but when pressing on one side of the snap ring it whent deeper into the slot but the other side did not even move. I will be removing the upper case today after work.

Did not save the item page but recall him saying 50k + miles on it. The shattered snap ring might still be locked in place but will find out when taking it apart today.
The ebay page said that the transmission were replace as the owners wanted to get the 6 speed transmission. All a bit odd but hey add the price of the replace-kit and its like buying a good transmission :)