PDA

View Full Version : Battery conditioner connecting?

Diesse 19
21-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Would it be ok to connect my ecu-tek battery charger/conditioner up to the jump start connections on the engine/fusebox to keep it topped up in this weather?
I know in the manual it says to disconnect the battery and hook up straight to it but was wondering if I can get away without doing this as i expect it may upset the hi fi settings and maybe other stuff too?
I know it used to put the diodes in the alternator at risk or something years ago but not so sure about this sort of stuff these days!

Sudesh
21-01-2013, 02:52 PM
I've had mine connected in both places, and never had an issue in 6 years. I've also used the jump start terminals on more complicated systems that merc and BMW use and again, never any issues.

I have several of these and keep all my cars, quads jet ski on them.

http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-66800-12v-automatic-2031-67862

Senninha
21-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi Diesse19

Mine is hard wired to the battery terminals with the plug conveniently located to the rear edge of the bonnet.

I've been using this set up for almost 6 yrs without any issue.

regards, Paul

kingsley
21-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi Diesse19,

Like Paul I have had mine hard wired from the battery and connected with a socket with plastic a cap on. Just remove the cap and plug in . Very easy to connect on the battery. A must have in these conditions or if you ae not using your car for long periods.

Cheers

Kingsley

Diesse 19
21-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys, but do you disconnect the battery from the car? It says to do this when charging because it " can seriously damage your cars electronic controls".

nobby
21-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Lot of bollocks that ... mine is connected to the car as yours is for alarm, tracker and stereo purposes using a trickle charger for cars and motorbikes using the standard battery terminal connectors

this is my 3rd winter doing this ... plus see all above comments

i think you will find that is just Honda covering their ar$e ... a bit too much

Thanks guys, but do you disconnect the battery from the car? It says to do this when charging because it " can seriously damage your cars electronic controls".

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-01-2013, 10:21 PM
It is true that a low quality charger/conditioner can damage not only the battery but also other components on the car especially if the battery voltage was very low to start with.

The key is to have clean (very low ripple) charging voltage and current which will be reflected in the conditioner's price as well.

On almost all of the controllers on modern cars, there are power supply filter, reverse polarity and over voltage protection circuit so less chance of causing the damage. However, this is not the case for some of the small components and sensors.

If you are using the conditioner from well known manufactures, you should be fine.
Please use the appropriate conditioner if you are using special AGM battery such as Racing battery, Odyssey, etc.

As long as your battery voltage is above the min required threshold (about 2 – 3V) for your conditioner, you can connect the conditioner to the battery terminals directly or you can use the jump start terminals at the engine bay.

If it is below the min threshold or completely flat, it is best to take the battery out.
This is in case your battery has internal failure.
Some of the conditioners can’t handle certain failure modes and could cause further damages.
This is very important if you are going to leave the conditioner connected for many days/weeks because almost all batteries will fail at some point.

You must check that the conditioner has reached the specific mode before leaving it connected for long period.

If the voltage is below the min threshold (about 2 -3V, depending on your conditioner), you need to connect another battery in parallel to at least kick in the battery health check mode.

As a side note, please check your battery terminals (clean and tight) and never over tighten the clamp.

Kaz

Senninha
21-01-2013, 10:49 PM
By choosing to purchase an OEM Honda trickle charger I rather hope all will continue to be well :)

TheSebringOne
21-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Paul, do you have any more details? Searched the net, no info apart from
ones for motorbikes?

Senninha
21-01-2013, 11:58 PM
ones for motorbikes?

I may still have the packaging, if I have I will post details James ...

WhyOne?
22-01-2013, 07:46 AM

I have a CTEK charger / conditioner hard wired to the battery terminals in the same way as Paul and others have described above. I never disconnect the battery, and very quick and easy to connect / disconnect.

nobby
22-01-2013, 08:45 AM
As I own a couple of bikes, these are the ones I have used for all my cars over the past several years, including on my old Evo ... now that is a car with all its gizmo's that could be problematic if having battery difficulties and its owners manual talked about battery disconnecting/jump starting you name it, it was in it ... but you know what I NEVER had any in nearly 4 years of ownership and that was using car/bike optimisers. so good enough to keep an ever running, i would say it will be OK for the NSX

ones for motorbikes?

WhyOne?
22-01-2013, 11:50 AM
CTEK Battery Chargers are supplied hardwired as original equipment by many manufacturers of cars which spend much of their lives sat about doing not a lot, including Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini & Bentley.

Diesse 19
23-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks very much for your input guys, at least I know Im not going to balls anything up by not disconnecting the battery from the car.

Just as I thought really but

as it firmly states in the manual not to do it i thought id better check with the cognoscenti here.

Pete