PDA

View Full Version : bad news from one of our american suppliers....

britlude
22-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I wanted to order some parts from Tim Poliniak at Acura of Peoria (www.oemacuraparts.com (http://www.oemacuraparts.com/)) but looks like Honda USA has been moaned at by Honda UK....

i received this from them this morning...

Unfortunately, due to a recent policy enforcement by American Honda, we can no longer ship outside of the United States.

so the part that is $156 from USA, is listed at £298.08 ($476.93) from Lings this side of the Atlantic... nice mark-up Honda UK! i wouldn't mind if the parts didn't come in the same packaging from the same made-in-Japan source!

i shall source the bits i want, but am no way going to pay honda UK prices!

nobby
22-01-2013, 05:44 PM
arrrggghhhh no way!!!

that is depressing

NSXGB
22-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Time to book my holiday...

NSXGB
22-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way...

I would bet that SOS would still supply OEM parts to the UK. Parts won't be quite as cheap as Tim and shipping slightly more but still way cheaper than the UK. Other options too if you like roulette.

Some people use intermediaries to ship stuff, never used one so I don't know the fee but Ill bet they would also adjust the declaration to help along the way.

Touge Distribution will get OEM stuff from Japan, unfortunately still a little more expensive than Tim again. They were a bit slow on delivery in my experience too.

Seems a little petty of Honda.

I wanted to order some parts from Tim Poliniak at Acura of Peoria (www.oemacuraparts.com (http://www.oemacuraparts.com/)) but looks like Honda USA has been moaned at by Honda UK....

i received this from them this morning...

so the part that is $156 from USA, is listed at £298.08 ($476.93) from Lings this side of the Atlantic... nice mark-up Honda UK! i wouldn't mind if the parts didn't come in the same packaging from the same made-in-Japan source!

i shall source the bits i want, but am no way going to pay honda UK prices!

nobby
22-01-2013, 07:05 PM
For those who cry foul with regards to Dali, I will warn you about this lot ... absolute joke; no feedback re order status, not answering emails, no account access NOTHING. :angry:

had to get my credit card onto the case ... they even took payment from me twice for ONE item ... this lot are the pits

Hoping our brothers and sisters in the US can still help us out

Touge Distribution will get OEM stuff from Japan, unfortunately still a little more expensive than Tim again. They were a bit slow on delivery in my experience too.

Seems a little petty of Honda.

A.S. Motorsport
26-01-2013, 03:07 PM
No problem, we import all parts from Japan at very reasonable prices

Nick Graves
26-01-2013, 03:23 PM
You don't do Preludes as well do you? ;)

A.S. Motorsport
26-01-2013, 04:04 PM
You don't do Preludes as well do you? ;)
Usually not, but i can sure take a look into it. let me know how i can help.

Nick Graves
26-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Usually not, but i can sure take a look into it. let me know how i can help.

Thanks -that's mighty kind of you!

I was only after a few bits, in readiness for the cambelt change (sound familiar?):

14520P13003
(14520-P13-013) ADJUSTER COMP., AUTOMATIC
19200P13003
(19200-P13-003) PUMP COMP., WATER (YAMADA)
13810P13003
(13810-P13-003) PULLEY COMP., CRANKSHAFT
19301P13305
(19301-P13-305) THERMOSTAT ASSY. (FUJI THOMSON)

A.S. Motorsport
26-01-2013, 10:14 PM
You've got a pm!

goldnsx
27-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I've only wondering why this happened not earlier. Very sad indeed. But I was clever enough to order outside of the EU since 2007, so I'm pretty sure I'll find a way around it. Has this been discussed on prime?

EDIT: Interesting, the email address I've sent my orders to doesn't work anymore, 'no such recipient'. It looks like they were forced to change them also.

But I'll never give up! :)

Dragonlady
27-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Does anybody still have contact with Honda UK to ask why they are blocking purchases from USA? Be interesting to see what they have to say.

Ian

PeterW
27-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way...

You are absolutely right NSXGB. Some of the other ways might cost a little more than buying from the Tim Poliniak type sources, but with US parts prices on average less than half UK ones, there's still plenty of margin to go at. It's hard to understand why Honda behaves like this and is so punitive with NSX parts pricing in the UK. It's damaging for the brand. My NSX is the first Honda I've owned. I'd never really looked at Hondas before, but I've noticed that the pleasure of ownership of the NSX has changed the way I feel about Hondas. It seems to be contagious too, because in the meantime my son bought an Accord. But with this kind of behaviour it definitely takes off some of the shine.

If Honda want to stop this type of free market parts business, they should eliminate the incentive and close the gap between US and UK prices. So if somebody from Honda UK is reading this (and I wouldn't be surprised!), I would say this: Come on Honda UK! Give us a break! There are only a handful of NSX owners in the UK and we are carefully preserving one of the most important chapters of your motoring heritage. It's not in your interest to price us off the road. The least you can do is help us by reducing your UK parts prices!

Peter

Problem Child
27-01-2013, 09:23 PM
You are absolutely right NSXGB. Some of the other ways might cost a little more than buying from the Tim Poliniak type sources, but with US parts prices on average less than half UK ones, there's still plenty of margin to go at. It's hard to understand why Honda behaves like this and is so punitive with NSX parts pricing in the UK. It's damaging for the brand. My NSX is the first Honda I've owned. I'd never really looked at Hondas before, but I've noticed that the pleasure of ownership of the NSX has changed the way I feel about Hondas. It seems to be contagious too, because in the meantime my son bought an Accord. But with this kind of behaviour it definitely takes off some of the shine.

If Honda want to stop this type of free market parts business, they should eliminate the incentive and close the gap between US and UK prices. So if somebody from Honda UK is reading this (and I wouldn't be surprised!), I would say this: Come on Honda UK! Give us a break! There are only a handful of NSX owners in the UK and we are carefully preserving one of the most important chapters of your motoring heritage. It's not in your interest to price us off the road. The least you can do is help us by reducing your UK parts prices!

Peter

Well said!

Can they start with the centre console. its about a few pounds worth of cheap plastic but they want over £900! I accept tooling, production costs etc but its more expensive than the Double Din head unit I plan to put in!

nigel
27-01-2013, 10:16 PM
In some instances, as I get on well with Tim some items could be arranged to be sent from him to me and I could forward said items on from here in Florida.

HUK isn't about to carry on letting the US market make their,(US) normal profit when they, (HUK) can continue charging their captured customers if they can at all avoid it.

Cheers
nigel

A.S. Motorsport
27-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Well i heard from my local dealer last year that Honda EU was doing research in so called black market/gray import and that dealers where asked to provide details of companies suspected of doing so.
This isn't just HUK it's all of Honda EU.

I'm happy i don't deal with Honda EU and there extortionate pricing policy's

goldnsx
28-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda did an query in their database and wondered why there are much more repair parts 'needed' per car in the US than in the rest of the world over the time. It hurts their price differentiation strategy (serve at lower prices in low-price-market, rip-off prices for people who think can bear it). I'm not sure if you can put a claim to the competition protection office as they force US dealers not the sell people outside of the US. But within Europe they would have a serious problem and high fine to expect.
All car manufacturer do this, some or less. Honda EU was not happy with people ording outside of the EU because of that. It was NOT only Honda EU, it was Honda Japan who profits of price differentiation (higher profit overall). It's not only the NSX, it's all Honda cars.
It all started some years ago when Honda Japan forbid the US stores to publish their database of parts with part. no. and prices on the internet. It was very cool for the US guys and too cool for the rest of the world. :) That limitation was not very effective.

This is enough of economic reasoning for today.

There are ways around it it only complicates the transaction a little bit but the less it's discussed officially on the forums the less Honda can react to it again. :)

Just for the case if any of the Honda guys is reading here: I've saved more than £10k within the last years and supplied a lot of people with cheaper parts. My dealer here hates me because he sees that I drive my car but never ever order a part. :) Again, it's not the dealers fault, it goes back to Honda Japan where the fish begins to stink.

Nick Graves
28-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Well, we bought a Civic and an S2000 from a Belgian dealer and saved ten large. So they were playing mean pi ssball way back then.

Wish I could have bought an NSX and a Prelude, just to really p iss them off!

amo
28-01-2013, 08:39 PM
well just need to tell honda uk they can stick there promo stand up where the sun dont shine
just my worth

thx amo

A.S. Motorsport
29-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda did an query in their database and wondered why there are much more repair parts 'needed' per car in the US than in the rest of the world over the time. It hurts their price differentiation strategy (serve at lower prices in low-price-market, rip-off prices for people who think can bear it). I'm not sure if you can put a claim to the competition protection office as they force US dealers not the sell people outside of the US. But within Europe they would have a serious problem and high fine to expect.
All car manufacturer do this, some or less. Honda EU was not happy with people ording outside of the EU because of that. It was NOT only Honda EU, it was Honda Japan who profits of price differentiation (higher profit overall). It's not only the NSX, it's all Honda cars.
It all started some years ago when Honda Japan forbid the US stores to publish their database of parts with part. no. and prices on the internet. It was very cool for the US guys and too cool for the rest of the world. :) That limitation was not very effective.

There are ways around it it only complicates the transaction a little bit but the less it's discussed officially on the forums the less Honda can react to it again. :)

Just for the case if any of the Honda guys is reading here: I've saved more than £10k within the last years and supplied a lot of people with cheaper parts. My dealer here hates me because he sees that I drive my car but never ever order a part. :) Again, it's not the dealers fault, it goes back to Honda Japan where the fish begins to stink.

Oh i can relate to that, I know the parts manager from the local Honda dealer, occasionally i drop by to get some part that i need right away.
It's always oh so amusing conversation?

me: How's business?
Dealer: It sucks!
Me: To bad, We are quite busy,
Dealer: Ehh you ain't buying to many parts are you ordering from Japan again?
Me: as always, care for a price comparison?
Dealer: This impossible i can't deal with this!
;)

britlude
29-01-2013, 08:27 PM
it seems acura of peoria have forwarded my contact details to a Jim, who could be our new friend.....

here's an email i received....

Hello Jonathan,
I understand that you had recently made an inquiry regarding Honda/Acura parts. Your request was forwarded to me as I am able to fulfill most international shipping requests. If you are still in the market for parts, I would be more than happy to see if I can be of help. Although I do not represent a dealership, I operate as an international broker of genuine Honda and Acura parts obtained through dealerships.
If you have a list of parts that you require, please forward that to me, along with your complete address, for shipping calculation purposes, and I will return your email with prices and shipping quotes.

Best Regards,

Jim Slattery

followed up with.....

Hello Jonathan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I am in the process of setting the business up in light of Honda American no longer shipping outside of the US. I've put together a letter here below which will hopefully help explain the situation. I hope we can do business with you in the future.

Thanks very much for your interest. I'm just at the beginning stages of logistics in forming this business, since American Honda has recently clamped down on US dealers selling abroad.

For our item pricing, all the Acura parts we sell will be priced at Acura's US MSRP. Since we receive no additional discount on parts prices from our supplier, this 25% or so markup pays for PayPal fees, inbound shipping, and the costs associated with repacking and shipping our customers' orders.

In the end, I'm sure that you understand that the actual profit that we make is very small. However, it does enable me to build a small business, while being able to fill people's parts needs at a much lower rate than they would otherwise be able to get....especially since parts costs in most international destinations are twice to three times higher in price, if not more, and if they can get the parts at all.

I'd enjoy the opportunity to build a relationship and serve your Acura and Honda parts needs. Please feel free to let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Jim Slattery

looks like honda USA don't want to lose the business!

just keeping you updated on whats happening, tho not ordering anything at moment....

NSXGB
29-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Will be interesting to see Jim's pricing. I note he said "Acura's MSRP" +25%, Im hoping he actually means "Tim's Price +25%" As usually from Tim there is a nice discount from the MSRP and free shipping within the US. For example the MSRP of a 5sp clutch kit is around $1780 but Tim's price was around $1310....that is of course he is buying from Tim or Acurapartswarehouse who have similar prices.

nobby
29-01-2013, 10:36 PM
keep us updated Jonathan; may need a few bits in the interim and would like a US contact

good man

: )

nobby
29-01-2013, 10:38 PM
nigel that is very kind of you to offer your services to nsxgb members!

In some instances, as I get on well with Tim some items could be arranged to be sent from him to me and I could forward said items on from here in Florida.

HUK isn't about to carry on letting the US market make their,(US) normal profit when they, (HUK) can continue charging their captured customers if they can at all avoid it.

Cheers
nigel

britlude
30-01-2013, 06:40 PM
latest .... so i sent this....

hi, thanks for that, just to clarify...
the prices to me are the acura US MSRP? (with paypal fees/inbound shipping/repacking/shipping) .... as the 25% part is confusing me! probably me just reading it wrong!

i take it there’s additional shipping on top of this, or just for heavy/large items?

thanks

(I did check Tim's prices, and they do have a 25%ish discount on MSRP prices.)

....and received back

Sorry if there was some confusion. You are correct in that the price to you is US MSRP.. Shipping will be in addition to the MSRP on every order.

We now have to take into account 2 shipping fees. One as the parts are shipped to me and then the other as I then ship to you. This is where the extra costs come in.

Hope that helps!

Jim

so we have a route available... obviously if anyone on here wants Jim's contact addy, i can pass it on!

vtecdirect
30-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks -that's mighty kind of you!

I was only after a few bits, in readiness for the cambelt change (sound familiar?):

14520P13003
(14520-P13-013) ADJUSTER COMP., AUTOMATIC
19200P13003
(19200-P13-003) PUMP COMP., WATER (YAMADA)
13810P13003
(13810-P13-003) PULLEY COMP., CRANKSHAFT
19301P13305
(19301-P13-305) THERMOSTAT ASSY. (FUJI THOMSON)

we stock all those and at much better prices than HUK

vtecdirect
30-01-2013, 07:36 PM
We can source Genuine Honda parts from both Japan, or USA through a trade dealer without issue of Honda USA not exporting parts.

NSXGB
30-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Well done Jon for finding an alternative.

I may just be very cynical but his email is worded like 'I'm doing you a favour' and 'I'm only making a small profit' on this but he's got to be buying from Tim, getting 25% off MSRP and free delivery to him then charging MSRP +25% then delivery. That's a very nice profit in my book. Just think he should be a bit more honest. Trouble is his prices are going to be too expensive if you factor in duty etc. but I hope I'm wrong. Be good to see some prices.

I have an idea. I have a friend who runs a freight business and they have an office in NY. I was thinking of getting something shipped there and just getting them to forward it on. I doubt he'd be receptive to lots of requests from the NSXCB but if you we're to find a small freight business state side that would do the same, job done maybe? All they'd have to do is change the address sticker and charge you shipping, all good business.

nobby
30-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Nice one, great to hear!

We can source Genuine Honda parts from both Japan, or USA through a trade dealer without issue of Honda USA not exporting parts.

Problem Child
30-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice one, great to hear!

Surely we all have friends in the US who can buy on our behalf and have goods shipped to their address in the US and then personally ship onto us. Think I know one or two..........nuthin illegal in that is there?
Would that avoid import duty too?

goldtop
30-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Would that avoid import duty too?

Not unless you conspire to defraud HMG by underdeclaring the value.

Problem Child
30-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Not unless you conspire to defraud HMG by underdeclaring the value.

perish the thought....he might simply be sending my birthday present!

goldtop
30-01-2013, 11:03 PM
perish the thought....he might simply be sending my birthday present!

Her Majesty doesn't make a very significant distinction, I'm afraid. ;)

A.S. Motorsport
01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Other way to avoid the duty's,
If we can ship and invoice to a business with a VAT number all sales are tax free since it's with in the EEG/EU.

A very large percentage of our customers have companies and do it that way.

havoc
07-02-2013, 03:05 PM

It's effectively banning parallel trade, and it is a violation of competition rules - Honda are acting illegally! But, as you say, the trick is in challenging it and getting it overturned...

Nick Graves
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
It's effectively banning parallel trade, and it is a violation of competition rules - Honda are acting illegally! But, as you say, the trick is in challenging it and getting it overturned...

True; but remember the Ferrari that it caused when we started buying cars in the EU and we are part of that 'free trade area'. They didn't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring.

TheSebringOne
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Any one here know of a friendly commercial lawyer?

goldtop
07-02-2013, 09:07 PM

But, while there's clear intra-EU trade law on this to protect consumers, the situation on EU-RoW trade is not so clear. Tesco found out the hard way with Levis (see here, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1261829.stm for example).