PDA

View Full Version : Rear view mirror

scottg
13-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Can anyone help with a picture or diagram of the fixing for the rear view mirror. My mirror is very loose indeed. The part that is stuck to the screen is fine bit the mirror stem that has a screw in it to fix to the part on the glass cannot be tightened further and yet the mirror is very lose indeed to the point that is I take the plastic trim that surrounds it off the mirror comes off leaving just the part stuck to the glass.
I notice there is a small bracket that the screw when tightened moves and this I imagine should grip the part on the screen but despite playing with this for ages it still doesn't do up enough to grip, I think I may be missing a washer or something?

Rdevelopments
13-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Hope the attached workshop manual printscreen helps!

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Quite often, if it was knocked off in the past, it was not re-assembled properly.

Please try this;
(Info sourced from NSX Prime Wiki section, Technical Service Bulletin)

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/TSB_92-039

If you tightened it too much without assembling it properly, I have seen the Lock washer being deformed.
Also, please make sure to put the knotch/horn of the hook plate ABOVE the lock washer.

Kaz

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BAFePoJadNs/URuyqhKzA8I/AAAAAAAAICg/qr3wfOez-Es/s800/Tsb-92-039-a.jpg

scottg
13-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, i am missing the toothed lock washer and spring, i guess I can source these from Honda?

scottg
13-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Just spoken to my local Honda dealer they tell me that the spring and locking washer are about £2.50 each but the minimum order quantity is 10 of each so it would cost me £50 ish, thing I'll see if I can find a spring and washer in the hardware store that will do the job, they cant be anything special by the look of the diagram.

NSXGB
13-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Just spoken to my local Honda dealer they tell me that the spring and locking washer are about £2.50 each but the minimum order quantity is 10 of each so it would cost me £50 ish, thing I'll see if I can find a spring and washer in the hardware store that will do the job, they cant be anything special by the look of the diagram.

Try ordering from Lings, I had nothing better to do so I looked up the part numbers for you. Their online ordering system lets you pick all four parts at a total of £25.86 delivered or just the spring at £2.39 + £4.74 delivery.

scottg
13-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Try ordering from Lings, I had nothing better to do so I looked up the part numbers for you. Their online ordering system lets you pick all four parts at a total of £25.86 delivered or just the spring at £2.39 + £4.74 delivery.

Thanks I'll try that as my local Honda parts man is far from brilliant and it was just a case of 'computer won't let me'. I have tried a cut down spring and washer from my tool box but its not working so i think i need the correct parts

scottg
13-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Ordered from Lings £9.73 thanks for the tip NSXGB lets hope I don't get a call in the morning telling me I need to order 10 of each!

NSXGB
13-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Good luck!

scottg
16-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Lings were amazing. The parts arrived today. When my local honda dealer said they would need to order 10 of each from Belgium and yet lungs appear to have this obscure part ready to go individually.
Now i have all the parts can anyone help with how to fit the mirror as I have put theatres in the correct order and yet when I fit it to the bracket bonded to the screen it is still flopping around. Is there a trick I am missing?

Sudesh
16-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Good you got it sorted Scott.

But can I add that, what ever dealer you used, the person you spoke to either doesn't know how to use the parts system, was chancing their arm, or couldn't be bothered ordering just a coupe of small items, so said you had to order 10 to put you off.

I've checked this with a good friend at a Honda dealership too to which he started to laugh. I myself have order rare/unusual bits in singles, even not so rare bits like a nut, bolt or washer with no issues ever with any quantity!

With regards to it still flopping around, have you followed technical bulletin in the post above? Are you tightening the screw once its fitted?

Nick Graves
16-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Bear with me; it's been a long time!

You have to turn the left-handed thread to tighten it to where you 'predict' there's gonna be enough free space to snap the unit tightly into the clip on the screen, without it rattling. The lock-screw on the other side (you sort of spit-roast them with two Phillipses!) to allow you to adjust them. Too tight & the spring washer won't fit.

You sort of have to do it by trial & error a few times.

scottg
16-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys, ill have a play around tomorrow to see if I can get a tight fit. The double ended Phillips screw part of the fitting appears to be one piece so I thought it had a Phillips head slot on each side so you can adjust from either end not hold one end and screw the other, I will check tomorrow. Seams an over complicated way to fit a mirror to my mind.

Problem Child
16-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys, ill have a play around tomorrow to see if I can get a tight fit. The double ended Phillips screw part of the fitting appears to be one piece so I thought it had a Phillips head slot on each side so you can adjust from either end not hold one end and screw the other, I will check tomorrow. Seams an over complicated way to fit a mirror to my mind.

Have the same annoying little shudder in the mirror eevr since I got a new windscreen fitted...........sounds overly complicated arrangement but I will give it a try too

Sudesh
16-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Have a close look at the mirror, sometimes its not at the actual point where the mirror meets the window, instead its the little black pastic surround that goes around the outer edge of the mirror frame [just in front of the mirror glass] ive seen this rattle/vibrate on almost all NSX.

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi, Scott.

The structure of the rear view mirror is not only to prevent the damage to the windshield but also for the driver/passenger protection.
In case of big accident and if one’s head/body hit the rear view mirror, the mechanism allows it to be knocked off after exceeding the force threshold which is fairly low.

There are lots of protection mechanism inside the cabin.

The steering column will move forward as well as drop in case the driver’s body has hit the wheel with enough force.
This is one of the reason why I only recommend OEM or Momo, etc genuine steering boss when installing the steering wheel without SRS because it has crushable structure for driver protection.

Depending on the country spec, the switches on the audio head unit won’t stick out further than a specified amount.

FIA spent lots of time for road safety and this philosophy goes into the F1 car cockpit as well.
If you read the technical regulation that can be downloaded from their site, you will see all the switches on the F1 steering wheel is not allowed to stick out above the specified plane.

Now back to the topic....

Before the installation of mirror stay assy, please check the following.
Once all the parts assembled on the mirror stay (but do not install it to the windshield yet), please turn the larger end of the ‘double ended Phillips screw’ counter clockwise.
If all the parts were assembled properly per TSB, you should see the ‘toothed lock washer’ bottoming out to the mirror stay.
The slit at the mirror base on the windshield is sandwiched between the toothed lock washer and the mirror stay so if you can get the washer to bottom out, you should be able to lock the stay fairly solid if installed at the exact position described below.

If not bottoming out, something is not properly installed.

Please double check that the notch/horn/nose of the ‘hook plate’ is inserted and placed on top of the toothed lock washer.

When attaching to the windshield, you will see three ‘pins’ at the mirror base on the windshield and three ‘hollows’ at the mirror stay.
These must line up each others to correctly install the mirror stay assy.

Once the assy attached to the windshield, you need to turn the smaller end of the Phillips screw clockwise.
You can find it at the small hole inside the mirror stay as shown in the TSB.

For the safety structure described above, the mirror stay won’t be 100% rigid to the windshield and if you apply just a small force, you can feel that it moves in all direction but under normal driving condition, it won’t cause any rattle.

Hope you can fix your issue soon.

Kaz

scottg
18-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi, Scott.

The structure of the rear view mirror is not only to prevent the damage to the windshield but also for the driver/passenger protection.
In case of big accident and if one’s head/body hit the rear view mirror, the mechanism allows it to be knocked off after exceeding the force threshold which is fairly low.

There are lots of protection mechanism inside the cabin.

The steering column will move forward as well as drop in case the driver’s body has hit the wheel with enough force.
This is one of the reason why I only recommend OEM or Momo, etc genuine steering boss when installing the steering wheel without SRS because it has crushable structure for driver protection.

Depending on the country spec, the switches on the audio head unit won’t stick out further than a specified amount.

FIA spent lots of time for road safety and this philosophy goes into the F1 car cockpit as well.
If you read the technical regulation that can be downloaded from their site, you will see all the switches on the F1 steering wheel is not allowed to stick out above the specified plane.

Now back to the topic....

Before the installation of mirror stay assy, please check the following.
Once all the parts assembled on the mirror stay (but do not install it to the windshield yet), please turn the larger end of the ‘double ended Phillips screw’ counter clockwise.
If all the parts were assembled properly per TSB, you should see the ‘toothed lock washer’ bottoming out to the mirror stay.
The slit at the mirror base on the windshield is sandwiched between the toothed lock washer and the mirror stay so if you can get the washer to bottom out, you should be able to lock the stay fairly solid if installed at the exact position described below.

If not bottoming out, something is not properly installed.

Please double check that the notch/horn/nose of the ‘hook plate’ is inserted and placed on top of the toothed lock washer.

When attaching to the windshield, you will see three ‘pins’ at the mirror base on the windshield and three ‘hollows’ at the mirror stay.
These must line up each others to correctly install the mirror stay assy.

Once the assy attached to the windshield, you need to turn the smaller end of the Phillips screw clockwise.
You can find it at the small hole inside the mirror stay as shown in the TSB.

For the safety structure described above, the mirror stay won’t be 100% rigid to the windshield and if you apply just a small force, you can feel that it moves in all direction but under normal driving condition, it won’t cause any rattle.

Hope you can fix your issue soon.

Kaz
Thanks all. I think from your description Kaz my mirror is installed correctly now as it doesn't rattle when driving but does have some play. I took your advice when changing to a mono tuner and found the mono hub part 4916 in America as new old stock (good old eBay)