PDA

View Full Version : What have Honda done to themselves?

manisandher
15-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I went to drop 'll NSX' in for its 108 month service at Honda Stratford today. Ordinarily I'd get all the services done by Kaz. But I have a Honda warranty so am 'forced' to get them done at a Honda dealer. My first choice Honda dealer would be Norton Way, and indeed they did the big 96 month service last year. But for a simple 'oil change' I thought I'd use one of the two local Honda dealers close to me.

Hmmm...

I've never been to Honda Stratford before and I have to say what a total dive. My first thoughts as I was parking there were, "what the hell am I doing leaving my car here?" I really was tempted to stay in the car and drive off. But I took a deep breath parked up, in the narrowest spot I've ever parked it in, and walked into the reception. Now, when I booked the service over the phone I requested a courtesy car for the day and asked the guy what I needed to bring in. He said just my drivers licence card - nothing else. So, I'm at the desk and am asked whether I want take out the Honda insurance for the day or use my own with a £500 access, in which case I'd need all my insurance documents, which of course I didn't have with me. I was a bit confused and asked why I hadn't been informed of this over the phone. He had no answer and just said that I could go home and get my documents or pay £10 for for their insurance. To that I said I'd get the service done elsewhere and left. Now when did the meaning of 'courtesy car' change? I obviously missed it. Well, I suppose he did ask for my £10 'courteously'.

But that's just an interlude into the real purpose of my posting. Driving back, I just couldn't help thinking, "What the hell have Honda done to themselves?" The F1 success of the late '80s and early '90s, all the great Type-R cars, the brilliant S2000, and of course the 'new sports car experimental'. And now what? Shabby showrooms (not all are - Chiswick is very nice, but this one was particularly shabby), showrooms full of 'older customers', and some of the most boring cars on the road.

I really hope the new NSX will be the catalyst that changes all this. But I can't for the life of me see anyone paying anywhere near £100K for any new Honda badge as things stand.

On a more positive note, I got to take 'll NSX' out in the glorious sun today. I had a smile on my face all the way there and all the way back. What a car!

Mani.

AR
15-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I think Honda have gone back to their roots. When I was growing up Hondas were popular economy cars. Reliable cars that gave good MPG. When they introduced the Legend in the US they had to create Acura. Nothing has changed really as far as Honda goes.

I just hope the next NSX is not just vapourware!

NSX 2000
15-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't think the problem lies with Honda, but the management of that dealership. I live equidistant between 3 Honda dealers but one of them will never be getting my business again due to the poor service we got when we wasted 3 hours on trying to get our CRV serviced.

With regards to their cars if you talk to any Honda sales man who has more than 10 years experiance, they will tell you how fustrating Honda are. They make a wonderful car like the FR-V build up a following then no replacement. In the US they sale a pick up called the Ridgeline which I would buy in a heartbeat if they sold here, but Honda Management make some very odd decisions. Honda as a company are doing well, they had record production in 2012, but this was mainly in China and India and mainly bikes.

mjames75
15-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't think the problem lies with Honda, but the management of that dealership. I live equidistant between 3 Honda dealers but one of them will never be getting my business again due to the poor service we got when we wasted 3 hours on trying to get our CRV serviced.

With regards to their cars if you talk to any Honda sales man who has more than 10 years experiance, they will tell you how fustrating Honda are. They make a wonderful car like the FR-V build up a following then no replacement. In the US they sale a pick up called the Ridgeline which I would buy in a heartbeat if they sold here, but Honda Management make some very odd decisions. Honda as a company are doing well, they had record production in 2012, but this was mainly in China and India and mainly bikes.

My Uncle has a Ridgeline in the US, have to agree, what a vehicle....

I agree on the dealership management issue, also most dealerships probably see a handful of NSX's each year, I went to Honda Chiswick for my service etc and was treated like royalty, they see and sold quite a few NSXs over the years.

Papalazarou
15-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I think part of the problem is the service advisor often becomes barrier between you and your car. Then, if there's an issue you feel like you're being held to ransom.
On top of this there's the embarrassment of telling the garage you don't want their monkey to wash it or breath on it wrong. which makes many of us feel like we're a little precious;-) finally the part when they inform you that your number plate's missing. Oh and wincing because you've just been charged £115 for spark plugs you should have bought online for fifty.
In the end, I guess you try to find a good franchise and build a good relationship. I've been going to Taunton Honda for the last seven years and they've been great. They tell me what's going on and let me view my car on the ramp and discuss any issues with the mechanic.

Many of our problems are in our heads. If you're honest about your expectations, and let the garage know what you want, that's half the battle.

Cheers.

mjames75
15-02-2013, 09:05 PM
On top of this there's the embarrassment of telling the garage you don't want their monkey to wash it or breath on it wrong.

Not just me then!

Senninha
15-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Not just me then!

There are some owners I know that even hang the 'Do not wash' sign from the interior mirror ... when I used Norton's they actually asked as they had become used to NSX owners not wanting them washed ...

goldnsx
16-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I went to drop 'll NSX' in for its 108 month service at Honda Stratford today. Ordinarily I'd get all the services done by Kaz. But I have a Honda warranty so am 'forced' to get them done at a Honda dealer.
'Forced' by who, the warranty? For old cars like this we don't get a reliable warranty. I would not even let them work on my car if they pay me for it. Even if I have to expect a £1000 bill which would have been payed by the warranty I would rather pay it myself and let it fix by the guy I trust esp. as you have Kaz done it before.

manisandher
16-02-2013, 10:52 AM
The price of the warranty itself is actually very reasonable - £700 for 3 years, and I'm more than happy to pay this. I've never had to use it though so don't know how 'reliable' it is.

You've got a good point though. If something 'simple' were to go wrong, I'd be happy to invoke the warranty and trust Norton Way with my car. But with something 'serious', there is no question I'd only trust Kaz to do it. Maybe I should rethink my whole approach to servicing and warranty.

Mani.

WhyOne?
16-02-2013, 04:38 PM
In the end, I guess you try to find a good franchise and build a good relationship.

Yep, definately the way to do it.

I started using Geo Collins Honda, Herstmoceaux about 10 years ago when I got my S2000.

They are still a family run dealership - an increasingly rare thing sadly - and it makes a difference.

I am sure Peter Collins, the service manager, thinks I am a bit mad, but he take great care of my car when it is with them, and doesn't even have to be asked not to wash it anymore.

Rubbish picture...but this gives you an idea how good they are:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8479490478_4bbbcc1131_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81695468@N05/8479490478/)
IMG_0043 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81695468@N05/8479490478/) by Whyone (http://www.flickr.com/people/81695468@N05/), on Flickr

nobby
16-02-2013, 06:02 PM
that IS service

CLASS! :)

TheSebringOne
16-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I like it! Where do disabled or MOT people park!

Like most or all owners, I park mine as far as possible from other cars or people.

Problem Child
16-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I like it! Where do disabled or MOT people park!

Like most or all owners, I park mine as far as possible from other cars or people.

Impressive parking! But I can beat that...at my office one guy manages to park his Jag across a block of 6 (3x2) parking spaces!!!! I think I have a picture somewhere as I emailed hmi and told him to move it since parking costs are part of my budget!! Could understand it if he had an NSX but not a jag!

Senninha
16-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Quality Ian ...

goldnsx
17-02-2013, 10:06 AM
The price of the warranty itself is actually very reasonable - £700 for 3 years, and I'm more than happy to pay this. I've never had to use it though so don't know how 'reliable' it is.
I agree in the very rare case of an engine or gearbox failure.

Many years ago, I had a used car with a warranty and brake-problems (massive rubbing). The garage didn't want to see any problems with the brakes and wanted me to drive until they needed to be changed anyway (on my behalf, of course).

Since then I check any car in detail (including engine oil analysis) before I buy it. If the dealer refuses my request...there are plenty of other cars out there...

AR
17-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Quality Ian ...

If all dealers were like this, I once saw my Silver car before mods been tested by the dealer. I quickly followed them ( I mean quickly ) and it was all sorted in the end. I know they do have to test them but when they come back with a smile ear to ear and the exhaust crackling...

gumball
17-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Yep, definately the way to do it.

I started using Geo Collins Honda, Herstmoceaux about 10 years ago when I got my S2000.

They are still a family run dealership - an increasingly rare thing sadly - and it makes a difference.

I am sure Peter Collins, the service manager, thinks I am a bit mad, but he take great care of my car when it is with them, and doesn't even have to be asked not to wash it anymore.

Rubbish picture...but this gives you an idea how good they are:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8479490478_4bbbcc1131_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81695468@N05/8479490478/)
IMG_0043 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81695468@N05/8479490478/) by Whyone (http://www.flickr.com/people/81695468@N05/), on Flickr

If I saw that, I 'd presume they were being sarcastic.

Nick Graves
17-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Rumour has it the Honda board thinks one should only ride a bike & drive a car no bigger than the Jizz.

This is why they do not get Acura/premium cars and why Honda is rapidly dying in EU.

As a consequence, many of the dealers are dying, too.

I foresee them selling Swindon to the Indians/Chinese at some stage...

havoc
17-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Agree with the consensus on Honda's current line-up and market position, but in defence of Stratford I've used them for about 3 years on both cars and they've been very good. Not going to defend location - that street hasn't been repaired in years, but that's down to the council...and it's hardly the dodgy-end of town (not that SoA has a particularly dodgy end).

Who did you speak to over the phone - I tend to deal with Alan or Daniel (or Tam, if she's covering the desk), and they're both pretty good.