PDA

View Full Version : Noise from engine bay

Boomerjake
21-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi
I am not very technical, and was hoping someone could help.
The last couple of times I have driven my NSX, I have had a whirling noise come from the engine bay (seems to be passenger side) a bout 5 minutes after I start driving. The noise sounds as if something is spinning very fast, it only lasts about 3-4 seconds.
Has anyone got any ideas what it could be.

Thanks

Greg

Sudesh
21-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi
I am not very technical, and was hoping someone could help.
The last couple of times I have driven my NSX, I have had a whirling noise come from the engine bay (seems to be passenger side) a bout 5 minutes after I start driving. The noise sounds as if something is spinning very fast, it only lasts about 3-4 seconds.
Has anyone got any ideas what it could be.

Thanks

Greg

Starter motor? It's on that side down near the bottom.

I've heard people mention whirling sound from those before on other makes, but usually not when the car is running. However sound can travel and sometimes a sound you think is in one place, could actually be coming from somewhere else. I use the a stethoscope for that.

NSXGB
21-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I was thinking crank pulley until you mentioned passenger side.
Does it happen on acceleration, at idle, deceleration, only the once after 5 mins of driving from cold? Is your car an auto or manual?

Boomerjake
22-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Guys
It does not make the noise at start up, but occurs about 5 minutes after start up and sometimes happens 3-4 times for 3-4 second bursts and then stops- I dont know if the battery charge being low has any impact. The main time it happens is when I have taken foot off accelerater .
My car is an auto.

scottg
22-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Interesting. i have an auto and after a few minutes my car has a humming sound at low revs that goes above about 1500 rpm but is coming from the drivers side of the engine bay.