PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting front camber

Tokyo-Joe
23-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

I had alignment done a while back and they mentioned the front camber could not be adjusted as it was seized.

Am I correct in thinking this is the tie rod ends? If so do a Acura and Honda share the same tie rod end?

Thanks all!
Joe

drmikey
23-02-2013, 11:32 AM
The track rod ends adjust toe (in and out)

You have camber bolts on the front (basically a cam). So It will be one of those that is siezed.

Soak it in penetrating oil and have a go at undoing it.

Hi all,

I had alignment done a while back and they mentioned the front camber could not be adjusted as it was seized.

Am I correct in thinking this is the tie rod ends? If so do a Acura and Honda share the same tie rod end?

Thanks all!
Joe

Tokyo-Joe
23-02-2013, 11:37 AM
The mechanic took a good hour on the front using different techniques including blow torch on it but no joy.

What part would I need to replace?

drmikey
23-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Well its bolted through your suspension wishbone.

he could try cutting off either side of the bolt and knock it out, but sounds like its siezed in the arm.

Just tell him to try harder lol!! Soak, heat, soak, heat etc..

Thats galvanic corrosion for you!

The mechanic took a good hour on the front using different techniques including blow torch on it but no joy.

What part would I need to replace?

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Please be careful with the excessive heat.
You are dealing with the forged aluminium alloy so it has better chance of surviving against the heat compared to standard aluminium but still, easy to make mistake. You don't want to have suspension failure in many years time.

Also, you are dealing with the bushing metal collar that is inside the rubber bushing material (that will end up as heat insulator) with another metal sleeve (which will act as heat absorber) pressed into the frame bracket (big heat capacity) so you have very little chance of getting the heat to where you want to.

What you need is the 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone.

This info was provided by our member ‘Graham’ in the past and it helped me a lot in tackling the heavily corroded bolt/nut.

Please refer to the following Blog.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?219-Seized-bolt-and-nut-%96-info-from-our-member-%91Graham%92 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?219-Seized-bolt-and-nut-%96-info-from-our-member-%91Graham%92)

Please be careful when handling the Acetone.
It will dissolve many materials and anything dissolved could easily transferred into your body penetrating through your skin if you touch it with bare hand.

Also, depending on the material of floor you have, it could make a hole…..

If you are still having difficult time in releasing the adjuster bolt out of the bushing collar, you can try following method with ATF/Acetone but please be extremely careful because the Acetone could damage your bushing.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?91-How-to-tackle-the-seized-alignment-bolt%85-Drive-shaft-04

Kaz

PeterW
24-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Please be careful handling acetone. It is a highly flammable liquid like petrol. It has a low flash point which means that, at room temperature, if there is a source of ignition nearby, it will catch fire. When you mix it with a high flash point (i.e. less hazardous) liquid like ATF, the more ATF, the less hazardous the mixture.

So when you are handling the acetone preparing the mixture, do it somewhere safe, preferably outside and away from sources of ignition. And regarding the 50/50 mix, I would recommend putting a small amount in a metal tray, taking it outside and holding a match over it and see if you can light it. If it does light, either add more ATF until the mixture is no longer flammable, or be very careful how you use it in your garage.

Just my thoughts and all at your own risk, of course.

Peter