PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem help

L696ULO
30-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Yesterday I went to take my NSX for a run and it wouldn't turn over.
When I turn the key the dash lights go out and when I release the key they come back on and the hazards flash once.
The battery is about 2 years old and I have been using a battery conditioner to ensure the battery is always fully charged with no problems. The magic eye on the battery is green indicating its fully charged, I've checked the terminals and the negative terminal was slightly loose but now tight.
I replaced the main relay 6 months ago.
If the battery had lost some cells would this cause the symptoms I'm having, or could it be the starter motor being stuck?

Any other ideas?

cheers Rich

Kaz-kzukNA1
30-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi, Rich.

Sounds like a battery issue or power supply related including loose connection, etc although you seemed to have checked it.

You can’t judge the condition of a battery by just the voltage and you need to consider the internal resistance, etc as well.
Ideally, you should have your battery load tested using the proper drop down tester but as a quick test,
what is the voltage reading on the dash when you turn the IG key to P2 (On position, lots of lights on the dash, just before cranking position)?
You should see just above 12V otherwise, you are going to struggle cranking the engine and if it's too low, the starter will eat up the battery juice and you will loose all lights on the dash.

When you try to crank the engine (IG Sw in cranking/start position), what is the voltage reading on the guage although you may not have enough power left to show any voltage readings as all the lights are disappearing?
You really need minimum of 10V even while cranking the engine.

While in P2 without cranking, if you turn the head light on, how far does your voltage drop?

You mentioned that your battery is about 2 years old.
During this period, have you ever let the battery to go flat?

Even the battery took full charge and showing green light at the battery check window, it doesn’t mean that the battery is 100% healthy.
Example here;

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?766-Final-Touch-sort-of

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?767-Battery

If you have another car, you could try jump starting your NSX to confirm that it’s the power supply related issue.

Main relay failure won’t prevent you from cranking the engine. Starter is in the separated circuit from Main relay so even it fails, you can still crank the engine for a long period yet there will be no IG or fuel and hence, you won’t be able to fire up the engine.

Even if the starter failed or locked up, you still should see the lights on the dash for a while even you can’t crank the engine.

[Edit: As far as I know, Honda UK dealer fitted security system will keep the dash light On but won't allow you to crank the engine after a certain period (10 - 20sec???) so not the same phenomenon as yours.]

Kaz

L696ULO
30-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi Kaz

thanks for the help.

The voltage at P2 is 9 volts so well under the 12 you suggest, when I put he headlights on it drops to around 4 volts.

I don't believe I've let the battery run flat since it was put in as I bought the conditioner shortly after but who knows.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and get a new battery.
Can the NSX be jump started by connecting the leads to the battery or does it have to be done in the engine bay? I ask because the car is in the garage and my drive is on a downward slope which would be a problem getting it back in the garage if it didn't start.

Regards Rich

Kaz-kzukNA1
30-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi, Rich.

The voltage is way too low so it’s the internal battery failure.

If it’s Honda battery and within 3 years old, you should be able to get replacement under warranty even without the receipt. If you bought it from one of the Honda garage, they should have the purchase history on their system by entering your name, VIN or Reg.No.

You can jump start the NSX using both methods but it’s more efficient and safer by using the engine bay terminal as it’s the shortest route to the starter.

However, there is not much point in jump starting it unless you have other purpose since you have confirmed that it’s a power source issue and you will need to take the battery out any way.

Just a matter of interest, what kind of battery conditioner are you using?
I’m not saying it’s the cause of issue but wanted to check as some people gets confused between battery 'charger' and 'conditioner'.

Kaz

L696ULO
30-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I found the battery receipt and it was replaced on 15/04/2010 so just under 3 years ago ( so much for my 2 years) so I will get them to test it and hopefully get a new one under their 3 year warranty promise.
The battery model no. was 31500-SV2-001HE.

L696ULO
02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I phoned the Honda garage this morning and the battery has a 2 year warranty so a new one is on order from Belgium. On the bright side it is only £66 inc VAT!!

Kaz-kzukNA1
02-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Interesting to know that you were told that it’s 2 years warranty.

I better check with my local Honda garage for any changes in condition but there was a printed document at the service department showing 3 years warranty on Honda battery in 2012 and I was also using 31500-SV2-001HE bought in June/2011 so not parts no. specific difference/condition.

Still, GBP66 inc.VAT for Honda UK price is not bad at all.

Kaz

L696ULO
07-04-2013, 06:58 PM
New battery in and fired up first time with the today's nice weather took the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the delight of being an NSX owner, hope lots of you were doing the same.
When I collected the battery from Honda Colchester there was a red/black NSX in the service area reg. H10NHP anyone know this car ?
As an added bonus the garage gave me 10% off so the cost was under £60
Rich

Kaz-kzukNA1
08-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi, Rich.

Glad that your issue is now fixed and you are enjoying your NSX again.
Seems like this long cold weather is speeding up the fatigue on even the healthy battery.

I was talking with my local Honda garage about the price change on exhaust bolt and nut last week because they used to be just 1p each through Honda Happiness program.
They are now more like 17p each.
Still, very good price even compared to the one in Japan or US.

At that time, I asked about the Honda battery warranty and they haven’t heard any changes in condition and thus, it’s still 3 years.

Not sure whether they haven’t been told the changes (if any) or your garage got the wrong information but as your issue is now fixed, may not matter too much.
Just enjoy your NSX though there are still some salt sitting at the side of the road and inside of the roundabout. Just too dry.

Kaz