PDA

View Full Version : Will my origianl wheel nuts fit my new rims

Boomerjake
05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi Guys
I am finally putting tyres on my 7 spoke alloys this weekend, just wanted to know if the wheel nuts are the same as the ones which are fitted to the original alloys. My car is a 91 and the wheels came off a 96.
Thanks

scottg
05-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Did the same with mine and used the original wheel nuts. Transforms the look of the car, good luck

simonprelude
08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
OEM Honda wheels all need the Acorn design (rounded on the end rather than tapered) so the same nuts will be fine.

markc
09-04-2013, 12:29 PM
OEM Honda wheels all need the Acorn design (rounded on the end rather than tapered)...

I don't want to be pedantic but I've been down the wheel nut route for various cars over the years and there's a lot of confusion about the term Acorn. It's really easy to buy the wrong wheel nuts unless you know what need.

"Acorn" does not indicate the seat design, rather it is the generic term for the whole nut (not a Cadbury thing :)). "Acorn" nuts can be closed or open ended. They are also termed as "Bulge" if the seat is wider than the body i.e. the hex or spline drive section.

Honda use a "Spherical" a.k.a Ball, Radius or Rounded seat. Most aftermarket wheels use a "Taper" a.k.a.Conical seat and so most aftermarket wheel nuts are the taper design. Taper seat nuts holding on a Spherical seat wheel is not good!

The OEM NSX wheel nuts are, deep breath... 17mm Hex, M12 x 1.5mm thread, Closed Acorn, Bulge, Spherical seat :D

In your case, as Scott and Simon said, just re-use your old nuts :)

Cheers

Mark

AR
09-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Unlike the gorilla nuts right Mark lol!

markc
09-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Unlike the gorilla nuts right Mark lol!

I did buy a wrong set of black, closed acorn, spline drive, [b][i]taper[i][b] seat nuts for the NSX a while back :redface: hence my education on the subject :D Mercedes are another odd one (wheel bolts in their case) and I've got more than one set of the wrong length bolts!

As it happens Gorilla do the correct Honda nuts, bottom left of this page... http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-13

Cheers

Mark

AR
09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I did buy a wrong set of black, closed acorn, spline drive, [b][i]taper[i][b] seat nuts for the NSX a while back :redface: hence my education on the subject :D Mercedes are another odd one (wheel bolts in their case) and I've got more than one set of the wrong length bolts!

As it happens Gorilla do the correct Honda nuts, bottom left of this page... http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-13

Cheers

Mark

I know lol It is in allusion to those nuts that I commented on the Gorilla ones. I remember you posting the pictures before you set out for a trip and me asking you if you had the right ones on!

markc
09-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Ahh, gotcha now :)

T'was before I was edumacated on the subject. I was advised to get M12 x1.5 "Acorn" nuts, ordered said description and received the much more common tapered seat variety.

Boomerjake
10-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice, the wheels are now on the car and look great.
I will be showing them off this coming weekend and will of course have them for *** fest