PDA

View Full Version : track day tyres

nobby
24-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Folks

What type of tyres inc styre size have people put on their X's while participating in such events?

Or is such events completely frowned upon by the majority of owners on this forum ...?!!! :)

Seriously though, have an event coming up and looking at ideas

It could be the case that due to my level of skill a track type tyre is completely useless to me but just wanted anyone who has done this, their opinion.

The tyre should be capable of driving on normal roads (to get to and from venue as well)

I run OEM rim sizes for a 94 car i.e. 17's on rear 16's up front

Thanks

Andrew

NSXGB
24-04-2013, 11:48 AM
What are you running at the moment?
If you consider yourself to be a novice track driver IMHO don't bother with buying dedicated track tyres, run what you have and drive to those limits. If however you are looking at getting new boots anyway, the Yokohama Advans seem to be getting very good reviews. They look more like a track day tyre but are road legal & have excellent wet weather rating. I believe you can get the correct sizes for the 16"/17" wheel combo.

nobby
24-04-2013, 12:13 PM
thanks for reply

I run b'stone (a regular customer) RE050's all round at the mo

to be honest thinking of buying a set of track type tyres and put on a spare set of rims i have for car so hence looking at suggestions

not sure i would want to run a track type tyre all the time on my car, but have looked into pricing a set of those tyres you have mentioned

would not say i am a complete novice as i have done track events in the past ... but then again not saying i have any more skill than a novice!!! :)

at this stage it might be best for me to just wipe out my exisiting tread on current tyres and buy new rubber, but i plan to do a couple more events this year, hence the question

hope i made some sense in my ramblings there! :)

What are you running at the moment?
If you consider yourself to be a novice track driver IMHO don't bother with buying dedicated track tyres, run what you have and drive to those limits. If however you are looking at getting new boots anyway, the Yokohama Advans seem to be getting very good reviews. They look more like a track day tyre but are road legal & have excellent wet weather rating. I believe you can get the correct sizes for the 16"/17" wheel combo.

Tokyo-Joe
24-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Why not burn off what you have and when it comes to replacing them upgrade to a more track oriented tyre? What better way to finish off a set of tyres then racing around a track! :D

m666 edd
24-04-2013, 12:55 PM
As NSXGB says I think you should just use up your existing rubber, especially if the age of the tyres are getting on a bit. I think you can have more fun exploring the limits of your current tyres until your are really confident that the extra grip will make you faster but without any extra risk of losing control at higher speeds.

I have another set of tyres (well 2 other sets of tyres/alloys) but don't get enough of a chance to use them so they just end up getting older without use. If however you will be doing lots of track days and they will get good use then it is probably worth it.

The tyres are Toyo R888 235/40/17 & 275/35/18 (from memory) which do result in rubbing near full lock. I find the 215/40/17 & 255/40/17 Advan AD08s quite an increase in grip over my previous same profile tyres which is most likely due to having less grooves and what seems to be a squarer cut than typical tyres so they are almost like the next size up in widths.

markc
24-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Mo and Kevin used their NSX's extensively on track and both used Toyo R888's with excellent results. If I remember correctly Kevin went big with 17/18 wheels and 235/275 tyres. Mo stayed with 16/17 and 205/245 tyres.

For me the biggest benefit is that these tyres stay with you for longer, they don't overheat, so that you can do lap after lap with consistent tyre feel. The downside is that they provide more grip especially under braking and if you're tempted to use it, as you surely will, this (the extra energy) will cook the brakes. Both Mo and Kevin had significant brake upgrades (bigger calipers) to cope so could use the extra grip.

I seem to remember Kevin did a solid hours lapping one time at Bedford just to see how it felt. I think he only came in 'cos he was going to run out of fuel which was just as well 'cos he was absolutely knackered :)

I don't care what anyone says, if you drive a standard NSX at 10/10ths on circuit you will run out of brakes in about 5 laps. However if you back off in the braking areas by 15-20% you can stay out indefinitely... or until the fuel runs out.

If your NSX is on standard (properly serviced, new fluid, new pads) stoppers my recommendation would be to use well worn road tyres on a spare set of wheels for track days. The reduced tread depth doesn't hold as much heat so the tyre stays more consistent and you don't have too much grip for the brakes. This is what I used to do and I could stay with Kevin around Silverstone GP circuit, much to his annoyance, which isn't a brake killer :)

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
25-04-2013, 02:03 PM
What Simon, Ed and Mark said.

Get to know the limits of the NSX on your current tyres then move up to R888 or the Advans (I have Advans fitted at present).

I had Goodyear Eagle F1's fitted when I did a trip to the ring, it was on a hot summers day and they lasted 1 and 1/2 laps before they went off, this was probably a good thing as I was starting to get "enthusiastic" which is not a good idea on the ring.

Paul

nobby
25-04-2013, 10:33 PM
thanks guys ... as stated done a few td's before and was looking at the longer term option. might bag meself a set of 8's or the advans for future needs ... but likely stick to my road tyre for event next mth at mondello park at the very least. just waiting on some prices/options from my tyre dude, this will also shape my thinking.

BTW looking into the hankook RS2 tyre as a possibility ... anyone run these on anything else or know about em??

appreciate all the advice :D

right time to get some kip before my jolly to Scotland this w'end

Sudesh
26-04-2013, 04:36 PM
I hope you wont be calling me in need of my transporter, to bring the car home from your track event lol

nobby
26-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I hear ya dude! That makes 2 of us!

Purely doing this to learn more about my car and get more time on track ... Not going to compete with anyone, try to beat lap times, abuse my p&j or push way above my limit ... It's a bit of fun too and will stay clear of trouble

but thanks for the offer that I hope I NEVER need :)

I hope you wont be calling me in need of my transporter, to bring the car home from your track event lol

soddy
27-04-2013, 09:13 PM
BTW looking into the hankook RS2 tyre as a possibility ... anyone run these on anything else or know about em??

Andrew, I run Hankook Ventus v12 evos 18 inch rims on my rx8, the car came with bridgestone re040's which being softer rubber
where crap in the wet, unless you find the tail sliding out in corners at speed, come to think of it now was kinda fun lol.

But the Hankook tyres are quite good, harder rubber so don't wear out as quickly, more grip in corners. Local tyre guy recommended them and
were cheaper than the bridgestones. Best getting an extra set of rims for any track days and listen to the guys who have done track days in their nsx's.

Problem Child
28-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Andrew, I run Hankook Ventus v12 evos 18 inch rims on my rx8, the car came with bridgestone re040's which being softer rubber
where crap in the wet, unless you find the tail sliding out in corners at speed, come to think of it now was kinda fun lol.

But the Hankook tyres are quite good, harder rubber so don't wear out as quickly, more grip in corners. Local tyre guy recommended them and
were cheaper than the bridgestones. Best getting an extra set of rims for any track days and listen to the guys who have done track days in their nsx's. I don't know much about trackday tyres but was using this site to research which road tyres I should get for my new wheels. They also had this comparison of track and competition tyres....http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Type/Passenger-Car-Summer-Trackday-and-Competition-Tyres/
(http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Type/Passenger-Car-Summer-Trackday-and-Competition-Tyres/)

duncan
28-04-2013, 08:03 PM
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Type/Passenger-Car-Summer-Trackday-and-Competition-Tyres/

The 'best' tyre looks really impressive, until you see that it's based on 1 review, from a guy who has squeezed 40k out of them, umm, absolute beasts those Toyota Avensises, or for our latin scholars should that be Avensi, Mr T Queef from Sniff Petrol perhaps?

nobby
12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
hi folks

after all the tyre discussion (thanks to those who contributed) I ended up going for a set of road tyres part worn and stuck them on the rear and left my front set on.

Turns out it was a mixed bag re weather on Friday in Dublin, morning session was very wet and dried up in the afternoon, so perhaps it was just best to stick to road tyres in the end. TBH they done me well and think at this stage track type cars would be beyond me.

GoPro was unleashed afternoon session and a wee bit of video for you to chew on below

NB. this is my first ever time at Mondello Park, and the second time I have taken the NSX out on track (if you count the Nurburgring) so PLEASE have patience compared to other track day clips on here!

A technical circuit as you can see, plenty of corners to learn and navigate, but really enjoyed the day ... and thats what its all about!

Had a few spins mostly on dry believe it or not and learned lots about the car.

Will fettle with my coilover setup next time I am out to try and improve balance and setup on car.

BTW, edited some music into this vid to a. remove offensive language b. to pass the time for you LOL!

Enjoy (hopefully)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YazcB2vrw7g

BTW, apologies for the bloody whale (u'll see what i mean)

Problem Child
12-05-2013, 09:30 PM
hi folks

after all the tyre discussion (thanks to those who contributed) I ended up going for a set of road tyres part worn and stuck them on the rear and left my front set on.

Turns out it was a mixed bag re weather on Friday in Dublin, morning session was very wet and dried up in the afternoon, so perhaps it was just best to stick to road tyres in the end. TBH they done me well and think at this stage track type cars would be beyond me.

GoPro was unleashed afternoon session and a wee bit of video for you to chew on below

NB. this is my first ever time at Mondello Park, and the second time I have taken the NSX out on track (if you count the Nurburgring) so PLEASE have patience compared to other track day clips on here!

A technical circuit as you can see, plenty of corners to learn and navigate, but really enjoyed the day ... and thats what its all about!

Had a few spins mostly on dry believe it or not and learned lots about the car.

Will fettle with my coilover setup next time I am out to try and improve balance and setup on car.

BTW, edited some music into this vid to a. remove offensive language b. to pass the time for you LOL!

Enjoy (hopefully)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YazcB2vrw7g

BTW, apologies for the bloody whale (u'll see what i mean) I apologise in advance, but it seems like you had a "Whale of a time!" Hahahahahahaha

nobby
13-05-2013, 08:55 AM
i guess someone had to say it ... dearie me!

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I thought you were using Shamu, the orca as your visualised G sensor to study your driving afterwards.
Interesting to see how she bounces under braking as well as entering and exiting the tight corner.

By the way, I saw another ‘fluffy’ thingy on another yellow NSX in one of the photo somewhere on this site recently.
May be one of the ‘For Sale’ one but can’t remember.....
Considering the number of yellow NSX in the country, probably, it’s the trend among the yellow NSX owners so please take good care of your orca......

Kaz

NSXGB
13-05-2013, 11:59 AM
What camera mount are you using for your GoPro?
I'm looking to get one for my car, suction mount looks like the most convenient but some tracks only allow mechanically fixed cameras not suction mounted...

nobby
13-05-2013, 01:19 PM
thanks Kaz, someone said the same thing in another forum regarding g readings!! :)

Kaz i have recently installed the BC Racing coilovers and was hoping to carry out some adjustment but in the end did not get the time to do it, so this might perhaps clear things up ... some stiffing was made but not to the extent it could have been. I am also running EBC red stuff brake pads ... so not sure if this had any bearing

are you trying to say that yellow is now "common" LOL?!

i will do my best to look after it... the 'wee orca' has been in my cherished cars since 1995 ... so there is history there hence why its moved into the NSX ... call me sentimental or just daft!

I thought you were using Shamu, the orca as your visualised G sensor to study your driving afterwards.
Interesting to see how she bounces under braking as well as entering and exiting the tight corner.

By the way, I saw another ‘fluffy’ thingy on another yellow NSX in one of the photo somewhere on this site recently.
May be one of the ‘For Sale’ one but can’t remember.....
Considering the number of yellow NSX in the country, probably, it’s the trend among the yellow NSX owners so please take good care of your orca......

Kaz

nobby
13-05-2013, 01:24 PM
believe it or not but i am actually using the suction mount ... and so does most people.

I even used the suction mount externally while in California last year ... mounted to the top of the bonnet on the PAcific highway and it NEVER flinched once!

not so sure about other tracks but not sure how it could not be classed as safe.

other people use the Harry's lap timer app on their iphone and they are using suction cradles which are nowhere near the ability of the gopro ... would defo do a bit more reaearch ... find this hard to believe (but appreciate your input) as its pretty rock solid when attached!

What camera mount are you using for your GoPro?
I'm looking to get one for my car, suction mount looks like the most convenient but some tracks only allow mechanically fixed cameras not suction mounted...

NSXGB
13-05-2013, 03:29 PM
not so sure about other tracks but not sure how it could not be classed as safe.

They deem it not safe as it's not a mechanical fixing, the suction cup is sort of fixing with fresh air I suppose :)

nobby
13-05-2013, 04:01 PM
dunno, seems very excessive and H&S going mad again ... i have really tested it both internally and externally and it has never came of on me. you can see how rigid it is in the footage provided. thats a real shame as i plan to head over to a track in England sometime later in the year. :(

NSXGB
13-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Bedford Autodrome is one for you to avoid then, they definitely don't allow suction mounted cameras.

paulc
13-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Snetterton are not keen on them either

soddy
13-05-2013, 08:22 PM
atleast the whale enjoyed the soundtrack, looked like he was head banging to the track lol.
can we not have the unedited version? remember what lemmy outta motorhead said, anything censored is not worth watching :)