PDA

View Full Version : front calipers sizes

madras
13-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi Guys - does the later caliper fit under the 15" front wheels ok, and does this allow a larger brake disc to be used?

thanks

madras
13-05-2013, 05:04 PM
I mean can you use larger than the 298mm standard disc for the later caliper; the later disc gives 11.7% more surface area and volume as the thickness is the same so not that much more
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/wheeltech.htm - says it wont clear the 15" wheel :(

NSXGB
13-05-2013, 05:38 PM
You seem to have found the answer yourself.
Get some bigger wheels!

You can upgrade your brake discs to the post '97 size and use your current calipers, you just need a new caliper bracket to space them out correctly.

Then you must also remember that if you still carry your spare, it won't now fit over the larger brakes. You will need a post '97 spare wheel.

madras
13-05-2013, 06:32 PM
thanks for the reminder about the spare.

Ok the answer to this isn't on prime...Can I use the 15" with a spacer on the larger caliper?

britlude
13-05-2013, 06:52 PM
no, it's the actual diameter that doesn't fit inside the spare wheel.....

see here... http://1017.org/nsx/BrakeMods/

the later spare is a bigger diameter....

NSXGB
13-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Can't answer that one, wouldn't think so.

nigel
14-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Kaz ?

Cheers
nigel

gumball
14-05-2013, 07:37 AM
My old bumper looks fine, so I guess the old brakes are fine too! Ho ho.

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-05-2013, 10:12 AM
britlude has already answered your question and although I don't know the purpose of your thread, if you are thinking about changing the OEM caliper to the later spec just at the front, then personally, I don’t recommend it.

The original brake balance is already way too much to the front with added negative effect of classic ABS setting causing understeer and if the ABS accumulator pressure is just about to trigger the ABS pump, then the next hard braking with ABS will feel like taking longer distance to stop.

This is one of the reason why Honda shifted the brake balance much more towards the rear with modified ABS setting on the later models.

On street, you won’t notice this much but on high speed testing, you will feel that your body is being thrown forward or launched in the air under hard braking with original brake set up.

With the later spec, your body is squashed to the ground and you can use ABS on purposely even at my lower driving ability compared to other drivers.

Kaz

gumball
14-05-2013, 10:38 AM
A lot of the characteristics of the early cars are setup to put weight on the nose aren't they?. They do handle like a front wheel drive car, up to a point...

madras
15-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I want to be able to use the 15" front wheels with the later caliper, I have a set of the later 2002 wheels as well but want to be able to use the 15"s sometimes.