PDA

View Full Version : Front lower spoiler

andystevo
28-05-2013, 09:43 PM
The front lower spoiler (the thin, black lip) on my car is fundamentally fine but shows various minor scratches and scuffs.
Replacement cost on Lings website is over £200, so I don't want to go down that route.
Has anyone tried to refurbish the spoiler? Sand / file off the rough stuff then spray with flexible black vinyl paint for instance?
Thanks, Andrew

Sudesh
28-05-2013, 09:47 PM
The front lower spoiler (the thin, black lip) on my car is fundamentally fine but shows various minor scratches and scuffs.
Replacement cost on Lings website is over £200, so I don't want to go down that route.
Has anyone tried to refurbish the spoiler? Sand / file off the rough stuff then spray with flexible black vinyl paint for instance?
Thanks, Andrew

Over £200 now! Wow, they were around £145 only a few years ago. Give Andy at V-Tech direct a shout, he might be able to get it cheaper.

Also I would say they are much cheaper in the US, if you wanted to buy new.

Kaz-kzukNA1
28-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Depending on the level of your scratches, I think some of the owners had very good result by using the Plasti dip.

I think that’s what you meant by the ‘’flexible black vinyl paint’ in your OP.

Kaz

NSXGB
29-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Plasti Dip seems to work well on plastic parts as Britlude demonstrated in his thread, well worth a go. Watch out though as you'll be looking for anything round the house to paint with the stuff, its good gear.

If you are taking your spoiler off, don't forget a pile of new fittings as they will be rusted solid and will shear off. A dab of copper grease on re-assembly will save the pain next time.

nobby
29-05-2013, 07:57 AM
hoping to sand mine down etc prior to hibernation, will look into plasti-dip etc too. let us know how u get on

Sudesh
29-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I don't think pasti dip will last on that spoiler, I've tested it on other rubber/plastic parts that would take similar abuse as that lip, and it didn't last.

nobby
29-05-2013, 11:46 AM
darn it!

mine is taking a bit of hammering since the lowering ... really thinking about raising it again ...
need to take a look at mine ... going to get it sanded down etc close season ... worst case opt to buy another one, or re-visit the original on the car ... as u recall its a lot less depth and could actually be a better option as car is lowered.

of course i will fully consult with the style police! :)

I don't think pasti dip will last on that spoiler, I've tested it on other rubber/plastic parts that would take similar abuse as that lip, and it didn't last.

Sudesh
29-05-2013, 11:50 AM
darn it!

mine is taking a bit of hammering since the lowering ... really thinking about raising it again ...
need to take a look at mine ... going to get it sanded down etc close season ... worst case opt to buy another one, or re-visit the original on the car ... as u recall its a lot less depth and could actually be a better option as car is lowered.

of course i will fully consult with the style police! :)

Old one looks horrible, not as stylish or aerodynamic looking, and probably the reason Honda don't sell them anymore.

Trying the painting process first, cheaper and worth a go, but I doubt it will last.

Why not enquire in the US for a new one!

gumball
29-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Some same say scrapes and chips. I say honest earned patina. Ho ho.

nobby
29-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Appreciate that dude, Not a fan of the old style either but let's be factual about this, less of a headache as the car is lowered.

no point spending money on a new one for it to get wrecked ... Again.

will see what options I have re existing one and go from there