PDA

View Full Version : Are NSXs a bit like buses?

goldtop
31-05-2013, 12:56 PM
You wait ages for one to come long, and then two come along at the same time. Which one to take... (shrug) ... why not both?

Bought this one from South Birmingham this week. '96 green/tan manual targa with about 78000m on the clock. From a forum owner (thanks, Mike). Lots of recent work, and some big bills in the recent past. This one was the subject of one of Sudesh's refresh threads. Looks shiney here, but it's a bit dirty after 2-3 days of rain.

http://www.firstmail.com/misc/p111pic01.jpg

Have also bought one from North Birmingham! '93 silver/black manual coupe with about 118000m. Haven't collected that one yet. Updates later.

Thanks for all who have offered advice and been in touch via PM and phone. Sudesh especially!

Now it looks like the sun's come out, and I've got to do a trip to the Post Office. Aygo or NSX? Hmmm...

AR
31-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Well done mate two of my favourite colours!

nobby
31-05-2013, 03:09 PM
good stuff ... glad you got sorted

u even buy 2 in the end ... what is it lately with buyers BUYING 2 NSX's?!

dammit 1 is bad enuff to keep imho

know the green car prior to leaving these shores, so there is some good history there

best of luck with both of em

Senninha
31-05-2013, 04:59 PM
So let me guess, one to be a OEM keeper (probably Charlotte) and the other to be personalised or a track tool?

What was the original requirement, a clean black targa pop-up??

Well done to you and enjoy your NSX'es

regards, Paul

mjames75
31-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Well I had 3, now Im down to 2!

For some reason....two feels right....maybe its an NSX thing!

Sudesh
31-05-2013, 07:19 PM
You wait ages for one to come long, and then two come along at the same time. Which one to take... (shrug) ... why not both?

Bought this one from South Birmingham this week. '96 green/tan manual targa with about 78000m on the clock. From a forum owner (thanks, Mike). Lots of recent work, and some big bills in the recent past. This one was the subject of one of Sudesh's refresh threads. Looks shiney here, but it's a bit dirty after 2-3 days of rain.

http://www.firstmail.com/misc/p111pic01.jpg

Have also bought one from North Birmingham! '93 silver/black manual coupe with about 118000m. Haven't collected that one yet. Updates later.

Thanks for all who have offered advice and been in touch via PM and phone. Sudesh especially!

Now it looks like the sun's come out, and I've got to do a trip to the Post Office. Aygo or NSX? Hmmm...

So you go there in the end lol! Well done and congrats on the duo purchase. Charlotte green car is still looking well, haven't seen it in long while.

So what's the plans for the silver car?

goldtop
31-05-2013, 08:13 PM
I really don't have a firm idea quite yet. The silver one is non-PAS and coupe, so a bit stiffer and more raw (in theory). Will spend some time getting to know them both, before deciding. Get along to a few meets, too, to get some other NSXer's opinions.

For sure, the attraction of the green/tan one was that is was closer to my original black/tan/manual/pop-up/targa preference. At the moment, I don't have any track day plans, although I'd be interested in some on-limit instruction from a pro-driver in a safe environment.

NSXGB
31-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I was looking at the Andrew Walsh driver training days at North Weald a while back, if you are insured with Competition Car Insurance, they give you a 10% discount if you produce your certificate from one of his training days. Food for thought.

Nowt wrong with non PAS Coupe, especially silver ones ;)

I really don't have a firm idea quite yet. The silver one is non-PAS and coupe, so a bit stiffer and more raw (in theory). Will spend some time getting to know them both, before deciding. Get along to a few meets, too, to get some other NSXer's opinions.

For sure, the attraction of the green/tan one was that is was closer to my original black/tan/manual/pop-up/targa preference. At the moment, I don't have any track day plans, although I'd be interested in some on-limit instruction from a pro-driver in a safe environment.

Nick Graves
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
They are made of aluminium & vibrate at idle?

Congrats - I thought owning multiple ones was purely speculation! However, if a Piano fell on my S2000, I could be very tempted by a purple-T. Or the one that got away if it re-appears ever...

goldtop
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
And here's the silver one:

http://www.firstmail.com/misc/k2pic01.jpg

Big thanks to the (second!) Mike for making this such a pain-free purchase. :)

Just back from collecting it, and I can tell that the 'keep-fit' steering at low speed is going to require me to develop some Popeye-like forearms! :o The MR2 Mk1 was non-PAS but had narrower rubber at the front = a lot easier. Too soon even for first impressions on an M6/A14 trip, so will drive them both for a while and report back.

Had my first experience of some weird driver behaviour on the way back: cars overtaking (I was being very well behaved) which would slow down to get a good look and either stay almost right alongside or just back - in my blind spot. Which is fine, except when I was also closing down on something slow in my lane. Several times I had to give a spurt to get out safely into the outside lane ahead of the ogling driver.

I was looking at the Andrew Walsh driver training days at North Weald a while back, if you are insured with Competition Car Insurance, they give you a 10% discount if you produce your certificate from one of his training days. Food for thought.

Thanks - will Google those leads for info.

Senna88
02-06-2013, 08:18 PM
I've wanted to do a driver training day since I got mine, keen on Porsche Silverstone or Rockingham as they both have low friction skid pans, but the 10% insurance discount would be nice...if you find a date let me know I may join you :)

Alpinestars
09-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Nowt wrong with non PAS Coupe, especially silver ones ;)

The Walshy days are absolutely fantastic - best driver training I've done.

Congrats on the purchases OP. The green one looks great.

Senna88
04-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Well I'm booked to see Andrew Walsh on 15th July, at the moment there's still 3 spaces free...so who wants to join me?

goldtop
04-07-2013, 10:07 AM
:( Running a mail-order business, means Mondays are about the worst possible day for skiving! Will probably do a late Summer day.

ollie
04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Well I'm booked to see Andrew Walsh on 15th July, at the moment there's still 3 spaces free...so who wants to join me?

Hi Senna88 ,

I have now booked for the 15th July , look forward to seeing you on the day , fingers crossed for a nice day

Steve

NSXGB
04-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi Senna88 ,

I have now booked for the 15th July , look forward to seeing you on the day , fingers crossed for a nice day

Steve

Will try to get booked in if I can get the holiday, hope to see you there. We are supposed to be having a heatwave for the next two weeks......

Nick Graves
04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Common as muck, these old buses!

7 x NSXs and only 3 x 'Ludes (mine's the nice one!) on PH atm.

goldtop
05-07-2013, 08:04 PM
(sigh) How ironic; there we are talking about courses and it looks like I'm about to be invited on one run by Mr Safety Camera Partnership. :(

First time ever in my driving life, I've been done for speeding, and just one month into having the car!

FWIW, I think the NSX speedo must be fairly accurate - according to the figures in the NIP I was doing 81mph, versus an indicated 82-84mph (mobile camera van on the inside of a long bend of the A14).

Papalazarou
05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
(sigh) How ironic; there we are talking about courses and it looks like I'm about to be invited on one run by Mr Safety Camera Partnership. :(

First time ever in my driving life, I've been done for speeding, and just one month into having the car!

FWIW, I think the NSX speedo must be fairly accurate - according to the figures in the NIP I was doing 81mph, versus an indicated 82-84mph (mobile camera van on the inside of a long bend of the A14).

The English language is an amazing thing. Take 'Safety camera partnership' for instance. Full of righteous inferences. It makes me sick.

Cheers and Grrrrr

Senna88
08-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Will try to get booked in if I can get the holiday, hope to see you there. We are supposed to be having a heatwave for the next two weeks......

cool, maybe see both of you there! Next time goldtop!

Squirejo
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
If you guys are doing this at north Weald (and in the sun) just be conscious regarding tyre wear and possible stone chipping to rear flanks or front if you are around other cars ( much less likely). I have been there 2 or 3 times in loti and other stuff and found the surface coarse and mixed concrete, hard on the tyres and bumpy enough to whack a splitter on a low slung exige.

none of that however should detract from the instruction and exercises from Andrew which are pretty good.

i learned most from don palmer at bruntingthorpe many years ago (tamed a cerebra).

If anyone wants circuit rather than car control training I can recommend Gary marsh (a need for speed) and mike wilds who does not advertise much. Can provide his number to anyone interested.

NSXGB
09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
cool, maybe see both of you there! Next time goldtop!

I was booked in but there was a problem with their booking system & it allowed too many people to book for the same day. I was given my money back today.

Maybe you two could report back and let us know if it's worth booking and maybe we'll get a group session sorted. The lady was supposed to get back to me on whether they could do a club booking with a bit of discount but she never got back to me on that - might be worth asking the main man...

Nick Graves
09-07-2013, 03:29 PM

81 mph! maybe we should have a whip round since they're clearly desperate, poor darlings.

Bad luck, but try to think of it in a 'glass half full' sort of way; it could have been much worse...

NSXGB
16-07-2013, 10:28 AM
How did the driver training day go?