PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Disc

mutley
05-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, I changed the rear discs and pads on my car, everything went fairly smooth, the only problem I encountered was the little retaining screws has seized and had to be drilled out, but all in all, they were changed and that was that.

Today I started the front ones too, and the same little problem with the little retaining screws, no worries there, but when I finally got the old disc off, and tried the new ones, alarm bells rang, the new discs seemed to fit ok, until I realised they they sat a few MM back further on the hub and rubbed against the shield.

OK I'll cut long story short, I obviously have the wrong discs. Although they aligned up with the hub studs and the retaining screw holes, I'm wondering if these ones are for later cars than mine. Is there a difference in discs between NA1 and NA2?

Anyone??

Oh and as it looks like I'll have to order another set that fits, I'll have a set to sell if the do fit a NA2.
(I have a couple of images but doesn't seem to want to upload)

Cheers

Jim

britlude
05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
not sure about the disc 'top hat' but NA2 discs are bigger diameter than NA1....

NSXGB
05-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Measure the diameter, NA1 discs are about 280mm and NA2 discs are 298mm from memory.

mutley
05-07-2013, 10:23 PM
not sure about the disc 'top hat' but NA2 discs are bigger diameter than NA1....

It's the "top hat" bit I'm referring to, it sits further back on the hub. The diameter and other fitment is fine. The best way to describe it would be that it would need a spacer on the hub, then the disc to sit where it should. I'll try to upload images again tomorrow , it wouldn't upload today for some reason

Jim

WhyOne?
06-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Measure the diameter, NA1 discs are about 280mm and NA2 discs are 298mm from memory.

That is scary information to be able to recall from memory Simon!

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Interesting info.
Do you have the link to the new disc that you ordered?

I have never measured the top hat height but it would be either the same or a few mm higher on the earlier model front disc.

For your reference, at the front, the thickness is the same between the earlier/smaller disc (quite often, referred as NA1) and the later/larger one (referred as NA2). It’s 28mm.

The front diameter is 282mm for the early model and 298mm for the later spec.

I saw several aftermarket parts manufactures and shops were showing only one disc size for all year model for our NSX (91 – 05) which is obviously wrong.

Best to compare your old and new disc.
You either received the wrong parts, wrong parts no., wrong spec or something modified on your car side.

Hope you can fix the issue soon.

Kaz

mutley
06-07-2013, 09:16 PM
here goes again, trying to upload images:

Kaz-kzukNA1
07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Ah....... That’s not even close to the original one.......

I think you received the wrong parts.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D1Ue4Y__XX0/UdlYnj3E0kI/AAAAAAAAKe0/xidIcs2f-Vc/s800/IMG_0278-001.jpg
Regardless of whether it is the earlier (referred as NA1) or the later (referred as NA2) spec disc,
the total height should be somewhere around 36 – 38mm.

The new one looked like miles away.........

Hope you can have it replaced with the correct parts very soon.

Kaz

Nick Graves
07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
here goes again, trying to upload images:

That looks like a generic Honda item; would fit a 'Red Top' Prelude. An S2000 or my NSX have 'recessed' top hats. Early NSXs have funny flat disks.

Bit of a coc k-up on the part no. front, I'd imagine.

mutley
07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks Kaz, I though straight away that the difference was far too much

Hopefully I'll get the changed for correct ones

Cheers

Jim

mutley
15-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi folks,

There is a happy ending to this story, I managed to get a full refund for the wrong parts and taken delivery of the right ones, that's my saturday afternoon sorted.

Jim

nobby
15-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Glad you got sorted out ... Clearly the wrong part

mutley
21-07-2013, 08:58 PM

new ones on, and a fresh lick of paint on the calipers.