PDA

View Full Version : aircon regas in Bristol area

Boomerjake
11-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi Guys
Hope someone can send me in the right direction, took my NSX for a service and MOT at Honda Cribbs Causeway and everything was ok, they advised having the aircon regassed which i agreed to. When i picked the car up I was told that the fitting on there machine would not fit an NSX and so could not do the job. Has anyone had there car regassed in the Bristol area- if yes by who

Thanks

britlude
11-07-2013, 07:10 AM
guessing your car is a 91 or 92... the R12 rather than the new R134a... There is an adaptor kit. Any aircon place should be able to do a conversion for you. Unfortunately they are not allowed to top up with R12, something to do with the ozone layer!!!

Problem Child
11-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Guys
Hope someone can send me in the right direction, took my NSX for a service and MOT at Honda Cribbs Causeway and everything was ok, they advised having the aircon regassed which i agreed to. When i picked the car up I was told that the fitting on there machine would not fit an NSX and so could not do the job. Has anyone had there car regassed in the Bristol area- if yes by who

Thanks ATS Euromaster are advertising a regas service for £49

NSXGB
11-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hijack but it's something I was tinkering with at the moment. I bought a can of the R134a to top up my gas (mine is a '93 which has supposedly been converted to R134a). The connector on the can clips onto the low pressure port OK (?) but I can't seem to release anything past the valve (which is not jammed). Reading Britludes post I'm wondering whether I need an adaptor as I'm guessing that the valve is not being depressed fully by the connector on my can. My low pressure port is the quick release style which from Googling looks to be the correct R134a fitting. Any clues?

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Hi, NSXGB.

I would first recommend you to check your VIN and not to use the ‘year model’.

Do you have ‘HFC134A’ label near the right side damper mounting tower or behind the bonnet?
Do you have light blue cap with ‘L’ marking at the low pressure valve?

If you don’t see the label or if you don’t have the cap (or, if you have black cap at the low pressure valve for Acura and European models), then the chances are, your A/C is or was R12 system and not the R134A.

If it was converted to R134A by someone using the retro fitting kit (I think this is what britlude was referring to), then you should see the R134A sticker somewhere under or behind the bonnet.

You don't want to mix up the two different gas types.....

Kaz

NSXGB
11-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your reply Kaz.

I'm not with the car at the moment but I believe I have a black plastic cap on the low pressure valve and I'm pretty sure I have a label indicating R134A somewhere in the front compartment (I will check later).

Hagasan
11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
If anybody is ever stuck. I have some quantities of R12 available. PM me if needed

sorepaws
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
If anybody is ever stuck. I have some quantities of R12 available. PM me if needed

do you have the kit to re-gas the system as well ?

britlude
11-07-2013, 05:23 PM
on the R12 system the hi/lo side connectors are schrader valves, the same sort of thing as normal tyre valves. the later R134a system uses a quick connector type union. with the upgrade kit the schrader valves have adaptors screwed on....

the easy one!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20stuff/2013-07-11-3210.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/thisYup/media/nsx%20stuff/2013-07-11-3210.jpg.html)

the awkward one!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20stuff/2013-07-11-3209.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/thisYup/media/nsx%20stuff/2013-07-11-3209.jpg.html)

(looks like i need to clean here!!!) note the connectors are 2 different sizes!

anyway... just to be awkward the R12 oil is incompatible with the new version, with the change to the new gas the system ideally needs to be cleaned and oil removed and 'PAG' oil put into the system!

Boomerjake
12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi
Does anyone know the Weight of gas which the 91 and 92 cars should have been charged up to?

Thanks

Hagasan
12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I have the pipes to connect to the car. Basically I bought R12 gas a few years ago to top-up my old Porsche AC as it was no longer commercially available. I don't have the kit to vacuum empty etc. Just a means to top up an existing system....
do you have the kit to re-gas the system as well ?

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi
Does anyone know the Weight of gas which the 91 and 92 cars should have been charged up to?

Thanks
By default, it’s 800 – 850g max but you really need to keep eye on the pressure not to over charge it and measure the humidity, air temperature, the low/high pressure and compare it against the chart because you may have other issues such as the expansion valve failure, etc.

If you are just retro fitting from R12 to 134a, then there was a simple equation (substruct small amount from the recovered R12 amount) but I forgot.

Kaz

Nytram
14-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I had mine done by Autokool Ltd Chesterfield, they sucked out the old R12 then a leak test ( 10mins in vacuum) and recharged with 0.850kg of R134a universal with added uv dye.
I intend to have it regassed every year, fingers crossed that will be good enough.

www.autokool.co.uk

Martyn.

sorepaws
19-07-2013, 02:41 PM
AirCon done today by Bee Cool ACS, between Northampton and Kettering - RS24 gas used to replace R12 - if anyone needs their number pm me.

sorepaws
05-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Well the Aircon recharge lasted 4 years - there was still some pressure in the system and 30 gms of R24 was retrieved. Once again I used BeeCool in Kettering as they are one of a few that can re-gas with R24 - very similar to the now banned R12. Why haven't I converted you may ask?
Well for me its simple the old R24 gas is more efficient and less likely to cause the issues that R134 can have when using it in an old system (technical detail the R134 molecules are smaller and can leak out of the old system faster ). Of course there will come a time when R24 is all gone (no longer manufactured) but until then I will keep with this. the Cost was a little more than an R134 re-charge but not significant in the scheme of things.

The air temp measured coming out of the vents at 10C.

The guy at BeeCool, Dave is really good and my car is one of a few that he has serviced in the area.

Contact details if anyone needs them - BeeCool 01536 428243 and they have a mobile service.

goldnsx
05-09-2017, 05:35 PM
When they've withdrawn 30gms (gramms?) of R24, with how much was it filled with?

Trying a simple recalculation: if it was only 30 gramms left in the system after 4 years you endanger your A/C compressor and have a significant leak. It's true that R134a molecules are smaller and diffuse faster than bigger R12 ones but with the level of your leak I'd replace all O-rings with R134a ones or try to find the leak.

sorepaws
05-09-2017, 09:07 PM
The full recharge was 825gm - the system was vacuum checked for 20 minutes to check for leaks before refilling, it would be illegal to refill unless this was done and passed the test. The cost of changing the parts to R134 to achieve the legal requirements would be about 10 times the cost of the recharge. R24 is acceptable for the process and unlike R12 it is legal to use.
My aim with the post was to provide people with the early NSX a means by which they can keep the system going. It is also more efficient than R134 at cooling.
The compressor should be ok as long as there is still pressure and oil in the system.