PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Lock

mutley
21-07-2013, 08:34 PM
.......or not in this case. Has anyone else had this problem?

For some reason, my bonnet lock won't engage. I have a funny feeling it's something to do with the cable, although it still seems to be attached.

Cheers

Jim

lotusolly
21-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I had a problem with mine not latching a while back. Turned out to be the lug that attaches the catch lever spring to the outer edge of the mechanism frame had corroded away so the spring was loose and did not pull the catch across into the locked position. Just had to make up a new lug and weld it on to the catch assembly.
Hope that helps.

olly

mutley
22-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Cheers Olly, I guess I'll have to remove it and have a look

Jim

NSXGB
22-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I vaguely remember mine feeling a little lazy, worth cleaning up and re-greasing at least.

mutley
22-07-2013, 08:36 AM
I vaguely remember mine feeling a little lazy, worth cleaning up and re-greasing at least.

I did give it a bit of a blast, but I even removed the loop from the bonnet and tried to see of I could get it to engage by hand but still no joy. I have seen one on ebay, just wondering of mine was savable or maybe I'll just replace it!

Obviously if its a cable issue then the new lock would still have the same problem.

Cheers
Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi, Jim.

Probably, your lock mechanism is full of sand, rust, debris, etc preventing the latch to move smoothly.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EC_gn5WOlR0/Ue0Mw4eKJuI/AAAAAAAAKm4/KmZCr_F5YeE/s800/DirtyLatch.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-opzVGDCecrI/Ue0Mxj2qYsI/AAAAAAAAKnA/yGm2I-RdLhA/s800/Cleaned.JPG

Not sure whether you have already done so but best to remove it and give it a good clean.
Just three bolts to be removed and then you just need to carefully align it on installation.

Then, apply thin coat of grease around the body and also bit extra around the moving mechanism but not too much
as it will attract more dirt.

If you remove the two springs, you can inspect whether all of the metal levers can move smoothly or not.
There are multiple parts involved in this mechanism and I saw several NSX with similar issue as yours
in the past so not common like Main Relay but could happen on any of us.

Kaz

mutley
22-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Kaz, I'll take it off this weekend and give it a better inspection, will report back with my findings.

Cheers

Jim

Dragonlady
22-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Yep had the same problem in the past, and just required stripping, cleaning and regreasing as per Kaz's post. Quick job.

Trident
23-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi Jim, It's almost become a standard part of routine maintenance on our 'older' cars.
Peter

mutley
23-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Jim, It's almost become a standard part of routine maintenance on our 'older' cars.
Peter

I suppose I should have been expecting it, it's has been gettting gradually worse over time, so I'll have a go this weekend.

PS I'll sort out those other images for you

Cheers

jim

mutley
03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Update:

Today I got the bonnet lock off and gave it a good seeing to , the amount of gunk and crap that was in it !!

Anyway, cleaned up, greased and refitted and all working well. That's another little job done.

Cheers
Jim