PDA

View Full Version : nice lbb facelift nsx on PH.

214nsx
21-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Nice facelift lbb nsx, look like a bargain.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-v6--------------------2002/1559015

lotusolly
21-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Looking at the wheels and reference to damaged front corner, I would guess this is James's old car which would explain the low price.

Not certain but quite distinct similarities.

Olly

nobby
21-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Nice ... Hopefully he still has original OEM rims though

its a 'James' selling too ;)

Senninha
21-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Looking at the wheels and reference to damaged front corner, I would guess this is James's old car which would explain the low price.

Not certain but quite distinct similarities.

Olly

i had the same thought within the first few lines of the add ....

NZNick
22-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Not sure that the wheels do the colour any favours - OEM wheels just look right.

NSXGB
22-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Same thoughts as others - HPI clear though?

Papalazarou
22-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Difficult morally for me to discuss on a public forum. Taking into account the feelings on the current owner. The short answer is; yes, this is the car I crashed at Combe a few years back.
The insurance company payed out, due to the cost of repair. It was then sold at auction to the current owner.
Before the accident it was in excellent condition. Because it was a track day accident, it didn't make it onto the V-car register. Not having seen the car since its been back on the road, I cannot comment on the quality of the repair. But I have spoken with the owner a few times and he seems like the kind of person who'd want to do the job right.

Cheers.

goldtop
22-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Wow, was looking at this one with a twitch in my trigger finger. :o

Advert says "unmolested" and "original paintwork except for some work to one front corner a couple of years ago" - that quite literally is glossing over the repair.

However, he says "work was done by the main dealer - warranted with receipts" so he's got a bill from Mr Honda for £30k to prove the crash damage was repaired properly.

markc
22-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Good to see the car back on the road :)

It should never have been "written off", even if technically it wasn't, in the first place. All because the lazy, corrupt insurance industry hasn't ensured that the infrastructure is in place to cost effectively repair aluminium cars properly. Many an Elise/Exige has gone to an early grave for the same reason. I guess VH platform Aston's (DB9, AMV8 etc )will start to suffer the same fate now that their value has dropped and F360/430's, R8's etc will soon go the same way... OR perhaps the industry's will soon be geared up to deal with these new fangled aluminium machines :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
22-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Well said that man ... and having seen the results from the refresh to the IOP it shows they can be repaired well and go on to provide another owner with smiles of pleasure ...

Good to see the car back on the road :)

It should never have been "written off", even if technically it wasn't, in the first place. All because the lazy, corrupt insurance industry hasn't ensured that the infrastructure is in place to cost effectively repair aluminium cars properly. Many an Elise/Exige has gone to an early grave for the same reason. I guess VH platform Aston's (DB9, AMV8 etc )will start to suffer the same fate now that their value has dropped and F360/430's, R8's etc will soon go the same way... OR perhaps the industry's will soon be geared up to deal with these new fangled aluminium machines :)

Cheers

Mark

NZNick
22-07-2013, 10:36 PM
With many more "mass produced" cars now being of aluminium rather than steel construction (Jaguar. Audi), will this mean that more NSX will live to see another day?

lotusolly
22-07-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't think NSX's are getting written off because of a lack of skills to be able to repair them. I would say it's more related to the ridiculous prices Honda UK charge for parts.
Spoke to the bodyshop repairing my car today and although their market is high end cars he was amazed at the cost of a door. His comment was " £4K, Thats more expensive than a Lambo, Ferrari, Bently or Aston!"
Parts prices to match Japan or the States would save a lot of cars from being written off and help prevent badly repaired cars being put back on the road.

Olly

With many more "mass produced" cars now being of aluminium rather than steel construction (Jaguar. Audi), will this mean that more NSX will live to see another day?

Papalazarou
23-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Definitely a combination of cost and skill. When a car is crashed the insurance company get a quote for the cost of the 'correct repair,' meaning the repair must be of the correct standard. For instance; hypothetically, if you crash an NSX and bend a chassis leg. Because it is aluminium, the leg should be replaced. If you damage a bumper the bumper should be replaced, if you can't get a satisfactory paint match, the car must be respray and so on and so on....
If you have the time and inclination, i.e; you can shop around for panels, save on labour etc... Then a cheaper repair is very possible. However, we've seen some of these 'cheap repairs' in the past and people do cut corners. Again I have not seen the repair on this car, so I cannot comment.

Cheers.

mutley
23-07-2013, 09:14 AM
I don't think NSX's are getting written off because of a lack of skills to be able to repair them. I would say it's more related to the ridiculous prices Honda UK charge for parts.
Spoke to the bodyshop repairing my car today and although their market is high end cars he was amazed at the cost of a door. His comment was " £4K, Thats more expensive than a Lambo, Ferrari, Bently or Aston!"
Parts prices to match Japan or the States would save a lot of cars from being written off and help prevent badly repaired cars being put back on the road.

Olly

That's it in a nutshell from my point of view, HUK prices are just ridiculous.

Jim

simonprelude
23-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Mine had £10k of 'cosmetic' damage repaired by Honda via the insurance company, the price of parts is ridiculous and Honda struggle to correctly align panels.

I had to fight to get Honda to do the work instead of a back street garage who wanted to panel beat a rear wing.

scottg
23-07-2013, 11:24 AM
That would be a good panel beater to avoid a panel full of filler!

Mine had £10k of 'cosmetic' damage repaired by Honda via the insurance company, the price of parts is ridiculous and Honda struggle to correctly align panels.

I had to fight to get Honda to do the work instead of a back street garage who wanted to panel beat a rear wing.

markc
23-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Definitely a combination of cost and skill. When a car is crashed the insurance company get a quote for the cost of the 'correct repair,' meaning the repair must be of the correct standard. For instance; hypothetically, if you crash an NSX and bend a chassis leg. Because it is aluminium, the leg should be replaced. If you damage a bumper the bumper should be replaced, if you can't get a satisfactory paint match, the car must be respray and so on and so on....
If you have the time and inclination, i.e; you can shop around for panels, save on labour etc... Then a cheaper repair is very possible. However, we've seen some of these 'cheap repairs' in the past and people do cut corners. Again I have not seen the repair on this car, so I cannot comment.

Honda UK are definitely culpable w.r.t parts prices but so are the insurance companies and repair centres. How often have you heard that the first words out of the bodyshop estimator are "is it an insurance job?" i.e. do you want it done to the absolute letter, and more, so that we can make a bundle out the insurance company. Of course we all pay for that in our premiums :( As we've said more aluminium constructed cars may lead to more and better skills in the automotive repair industry, which will help to lower the labour time and cost.

If HUK don't change their pricing policy most NSX's that suffer anything more than a parking scrap will be headed for the scrapyard. HUK are you listening... do you care???

Cheers

Mark

goldtop
23-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I have to say that, for all the supposed advantages of the extensive aluminium in our cars, I can't help feeling it's a curse.

And is the car really that much lighter?

nobby
23-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I think you know the answer to that, and all of us on this forum know it too. :(

if they cared they would not continue to:
- increase prices on parts on a regular basis and
- put restrictions on the movement of parts from US etc (seen as a Honda HQ thing but I'm sure HUK had a hand in it)

we all like the brand, but they certainly don't spread the love to the people that help keep them in business based on recent posts and their recent product portfolio

If HUK don't change their pricing policy most NSX's that suffer anything more than a parking scrap will be headed for the scrapyard. HUK are you listening... do you care???

Sonic
29-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't even bother calling HUK for parts anymore. Their prices are just unbelievable!:eek: Recently bought some new manifold gaskets, US=$16each UK=£57each($86) Crazy!

Anyhow back on topic, this car look's really nice, i'm not really feeling the wheels though?

havoc
30-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I think we're all aligned on HUK parts prices.

I probably shouldn't be saying this, but my local dealer is too - they're quite happy to fit OE parts I source myself, as from their perspective their main priority is keeping me, the punter, happy.

And no, HUK don't care...they're happy to use the NSX as a 'halo' car when it suits them, wheel it/Senna out every so often. But the profiteering off the parts more than pays for the cost of 1 marquee a year to the Club...