PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor

b1gbrad
22-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Has anyone ever had their compressor re-conditioned or remanufactured?

Any recommendations? Or ball park figures for the work?

Thanks!

Alf Tupper
23-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Had this done last year at my local garage and cost me £514. This included removal of compressor, send for rebuild, replace compressor, replace receiver/drier and recharge ac system. I'm guessing the cost just to rebuild the compressor would be about £300?

Most garages would know someone in the trade who can rebuild compressors. Compressortech in Birmingham have a good reputation, and are near to Redditch, though not used them myself.

b1gbrad
23-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the details. :)

Yes, I've had a quote from Compressortech and it seems resonable, certainly in the same ball park. Thanks.

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I don’t know the spec of your NSX or the budget level so I could be writing something not applicable for your case but hope it can be used for other owners.

If your NSX left the factory with R134a system but without the latest Denso compressor (38810-P9K-E01, shared with Civic, Integra) that can be found on the later model NSX, then I would buy the new P9K spec compressor (with the bracket for the later spec NSX model depending on the spec of compressor clutch and your exhaust header being used if you are happy to pay for the extra).
In return, you won’t loose too much engine torque when the A/C has engaged.

R12 system runs more efficiently than the R134a one so when the NSX was first introduced to the market, the driver didn’t notice too much torque change even when switching On and Off the A/C.
With the early model R134a compressor that is already getting tired like on my 94 NSX, you can feel the significant drop of engine torque and if you jump into the same spec NSX but with P9K compressor fitted, you can tell the difference.

This is quite popular modification in Japan once the original compressor failed because there is no way you can survive the hot and humid spring – summer – autumn period without the A/C and one of the reason why even the Type-R/NSX-R owners opt for the A/C installation.

If you already have P9K compressor but it failed for some reason, then just have it refurbished although you may be able to get new Denso P9K compressor at similar price from US, Japan, etc depending on the delivery method.

If your system is not converted to R134a, then there are several options depending on the condition of your existing system, your budget, etc.

If you need to replace the compressor for some reason, then you will need to replace the receiver as well.
If you let the faulty compressor to run for long period, then you may have other issues in the system such as metal debris inside the A/C pipes, corroded internal pipe surface, stuck closed expansion valve, leaky O-rings, etc (not necessarily caused by the compressor debris).

Kaz

b1gbrad
23-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow - what a comprehensive reply!

My car is 1995, so not sure what type of system I have...?! I was just going to get my compressor remanufactured. It leaks quite badly at the moment and I've been told it needs replacing. So I'm not using the a/c at all now.

So I'll be bringing some extra deodorant with me to Silverstone on Sunday.:)

NSXGB
23-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Another gem from Kaz. Might have come at the right time for me too.

Rock Auto list a 2005 Denso compressor for £167 + £70 shipping.

Lots of reconditioned ones on eBay.

Armed with this new info I personally will go for a later spec compressor if I need to replace.

Alf Tupper
23-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Rats! If I had know about the P9K, I would have gone for that option. Mind you, in the current heatwave i'm just glad to have working air-conditioning - drop in torque or not!