PDA

View Full Version : Condenser Fans

duncan
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
From cold, when I switched the ignition on and before starting the engine, both the condenser fans ran.
Once running the [re-built a couple of years ago] A/C control unit functions normally, switches between modes, has variable heater fan speeds and varies the cabin air temperature. The main radiator coolant fan cycles normally. If I switch off the A/C on the head unit the condenser fans stop running.
I removed Fan Control Unit [37735-PR7-A01] and re-soldered all the joints, the problem persists.
Any thoughts as to a failed sensor, pressure switch or anything, before I replace the Fan Control Unit with a new one;
or ,
am I going mad and both condenser fans should run all the time when the weather is hot and the A/C is on demand?
Duncan

Kaz-kzukNA1
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi, Duncan.
From what you wrote, I didn’t see any issues but one thing was not clear.

From cold, when I switched the ignition on and before starting the engine, both the condenser fans ran.
At this point (in P2 without starting the engine), if your CCU is in AUTO mode under current warm/hot weather OR you have forced the compressor to be On by pressing the A/C ON button OR selected DEF mode, then your condenser fans will run as long as your evaporator temperature is above around 4degC AND the fan control coolant temperature sensor is below 128-130degC (overheating.....).

If your condenser fans are running when the CCU is OFF, A/C OFF displayed, the evaporator is below 4degC, the engine is in overheating conditions OR etc, then you have issue somewhere in the system.

Have I misunderstood your question/points??

Kaz

duncan
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
First scenario, car in garage and parked up overnight.
Switch on but without running the engine, CCU in AUTO, evaporator temp above 4degC [assume at ambient garage temp 15-20degC] and fan control coolant temp sensor is below 128degC [assume at ambient garage temp 15-20degC] - the fans should run - yes the fans do run.
Once car running, CCU is OFF - the fans cut out - yes they do, I'll check with the A/C OFF displayed.
All sounds as if my car is normal then, leading to my last query, am I going mad?
Please don't answer, just many thanks for your answer.