PDA

View Full Version : New member - advice needed on NSX I'm looking to buy.

Elsinore
10-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I have a Honda history going back to 1981 - schoolboy motocross CR80R Elsinore / CR125R Elsinore - through to a current HRV and Legend. Have admired the NSX since its launch. In 2006 test drove two which at the time were going for a good price compared to the speculative market at the moment - one in London and one in Dundee. Due to a change of job at the time I didn't I buy - I now regret this deeply. I have now started my search to buy the only supercar I would consider. On holiday this summer in Italy I drove to Maranello and took the tour of the Ferrari museum and factory - it was interesting, specifically the new LaFerrari hybrid in comparison to the 2015 NSX hybrid, however, it will always be the NSX for me. I also managed to ask a question about Enzo Farrari and Soichiro Honda - considering they were of a similar age and background and started in business around the same time - was good to mention old man Honda's name on enemy territory. It would be good if I could speak to current owners that could advise on price in current market conditions. I'm looking at a specific car that I have been aware of in the Aberdeen area - now for sale. My preference is for an unmodified UK car. Since joining the site I have been highly impressed by the background and the work of Kaz. My plan is to buy a car and go for a health check with him - if possible. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

NSX 2000
11-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Price, as with any car will depend on condition, age, history, colour etc, but as I'm sure you have seen prices weather you like it or not are going one way (and it's not down).

goldtop
12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
And one of the biggest choices for buyers at the moment is whether to go for a damaged/repaired NSX. From memory, about 3 of the 10 or so cars for sale at the moment are such (Cat C/D or unrecorded). They are quite a lot cheaper than undamaged NSXs.

nobby
13-08-2013, 07:29 AM
if you perhaps give more detail about the car you are looking at, someone on here may know of its history etc as well

You say you want a car unmodified ... on NSX's standard is not always best - the cassette deck is an abomination, pending on year the 5 spoke wheels do little for the car ... I dont know the year of the car you are interested in so certain things dont appy (but sound system does!) there are plenty of worthwhile modifications based on genuine NSX parts you can make to this car. unless you are talking specifically about engine mods and boy race type stuff then of course you have a point!

If you have read through Kaz's blog and Sudesh's Refresh you have a fair idea on what to look for in viewing the car in Aberdeen. If you have driven the car and had a really good look round it, and she feels right to you then no reason not to buy. There are key things to look out for, documented history is important, Honda FSH not so as long as decent servicing is maintained.

Welcome on board btw, hope you get the car you are after

:)

I'm looking at a specific car that I have been aware of in the Aberdeen area - now for sale. My preference is for an unmodified UK car. Since joining the site I have been highly impressed by the background and the work of Kaz. My plan is to buy a car and go for a health check with him - if possible. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Squirejo
20-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Good luck with your search. If you are looking for an unmodified, standard uk car I applaud you. However there are many variations on a theme (coupe, targa, auto, manual, facelift etc etc) which will also define asking price. I must check but I recall paying 31k earlier this year for my standard, fantastic condition 34k mile 2004 targa manual. In yellow.

The best advice I can offer however is once you have defined your target and budget, spring into action as soon as you see the car that fits. There are no bargains and, I sense, buyers outstrip sellers for quality original vehicles.

TheSebringOne
20-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I must check but I recall paying 31k earlier this year for my standard, fantastic condition 34k mile 2004 targa manual. In yellow.

At that price, you picked up a bargain!

flyingsniffer
21-08-2013, 08:11 AM
At that price, you picked up a bargain!

I agree! I nearly cried in my beer!

scottg
21-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Good luck with your search. If you are looking for an unmodified, standard uk car I applaud you. However there are many variations on a theme (coupe, targa, auto, manual, facelift etc etc) which will also define asking price. I must check but I recall paying 31k earlier this year for my standard, fantastic condition 34k mile 2004 targa manual. In yellow.

The best advice I can offer however is once you have defined your target and budget, spring into action as soon as you see the car that fits. There are no bargains and, I sense, buyers outstrip sellers for quality original vehicles.

Are you sure that wasn't a deposit?
Yellow may not be the most popular of colours (although I think it looks great) but at 31k that must be at least 10k-15k under what your car would achieve today.

Squirejo
21-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Are you sure that wasn't a deposit?
Yellow may not be the most popular of colours (although I think it looks great) but at 31k that must be at least 10k-15k under what your car would achieve today.

You've all had me wondering, and the error being birthdate. 1996. What's 8yrs on thjese quality chunks of metal I ask you....

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?11072-1996-NSX-Targa-for-sale

goldtop
21-08-2013, 05:19 PM
What's 8yrs on thjese quality chunks of metal I ask you....

Well, as you ask: a facelift, 200cc, 1 gear cog, etc. And about £15,000! :D

Squirejo
21-08-2013, 05:35 PM
expensive differences!

TheSebringOne
21-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Phew, that makes more sense now!

Lovely car you brought too.

Problem Child
25-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Phew, that makes more sense now!

Lovely car you brought too.
Had me worried until I read all of this thread!