PDA

View Full Version : US tail light wiring loom, can it be done?

Sonic
12-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi guys,

just wondered if anyone has done this and is it possible/easy? I really like the US style tail lights where they have 3 stationary lights on either side(as apposed to our 1.) Would it work if i was to switch to a US wiring loom or are they wired differently throughout the entire car?

http://www.speednation.tv/wp-content/uploads/2418.jpg

nigel
12-08-2013, 08:16 PM
According to Kaz, there are three different wiring harnesses for the three major NSX markets.
US, UK/EU and Japan.
The USDM doesn't offer the rear centre foglight, front headlight washers or the half staff aerial as well as any of the centre console switches for fog lights or the headlight adjuster switch from the factory.
Our USDM harnesses don't have any wiring or connectors for any of these installations.
The other market harnesses have them, (the harness/connectors) installed from the factory and they remain unused until any of these systems were ordered at build up or added later to be used, (which everyone here knows i've been trying to do for years).

I've been looking for a rear harness to add a rear fog light and my half staff aerial for years as many here at NSXCB know and in a pinch might be willing to consider a swap if it would benefit us both.

You could probably just tap into your tail light harness with segments from the scrap yard and USDM tail light assemblies or make bulb openings carefully in your existing lens assemblies.

Cheers
nigel

britlude
12-08-2013, 10:19 PM
just to add to your search options, JDM cars have 3 side lights per side, and 2 brake lights per side (and a slightly darker lense colour).... only the UK/EU region had rear fog lights.

and as far as i know only JDM had the half-height aerial option!

Senninha
12-08-2013, 11:17 PM
CrazyMIxedUpKid did this to his lights a couple of years back ... search his posts for details

nigel
13-08-2013, 12:03 AM
I didn't want to go into too much dribbling information but Jonathan is correct.
It's the JDM market that has the half staff aerial.
Sudesh was kind enough to sell me an aerial/relay/centre console switch assy. for that option and I don't want to bodge it up and have been waiting for a breaker with that wire harness to blend to my USDM harness for a factory fit.

I also like the three a side brake lights.

Cheers
nigel

NSXGB
13-08-2013, 06:29 AM
CrazyMIxedUpKid did this to his lights a couple of years back ... search his posts for details

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?2912-2002-Brake-Lights&p=24281#post24281

unclebob
13-08-2013, 08:01 AM
i did this mod, i simply cut the old sockets off and spliced in some old prelude sockets, i cut the third hole open on each side which is usually blocked off and bingo i now have three side lights and 3 brake lights plus the spoiler leds, looks awesome.

still cant fathom out the thinking behind giving the uk only one brake and one side light per side which looks quite feeble when there was all that spare gorgeous plastic to light up! very strange!