PDA

View Full Version : A lighter shade of red?

Papalazarou
19-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Ok, bare with me now cuase I can't find the original link, but I now believe that all reds are not the same!

I went to the Castle Combe meeting the other month and parked my 96 targa next to Sammy's early FHC. The earlier car was noticeably darker (see pic). Anyway, this concerned me a little, but then I remebered that Before Richard sold my car he did a photoshoot with Damian (see link) in which my car is the same colour as his 01 model.

http://damianwilson.fotopic.net/c716360.html

Anyway, I was out today at a *** car meet and parked next to Jim with his earlier car (see pic) which, again is darker!

So there you have it, earlier cars appear to be darker?

Any comments?

Mr_Spanners
19-03-2006, 09:04 PM
It's quite normal to have many shade variations of the same colour .... the last time I checked paintshop mixing codes for Milano Red (R81) there were around 5 different choices!!! :shock:

Out of interest I wonder how much shade difference there is between the (the old) Formula Red and New Formula Red? (used from 2001> on the NSX and S2K)

~Phil.

Senninha
19-03-2006, 09:06 PM
From the last picture it looks like you've completed your retrim??

Are you pleased with the result and the service you reeived from the supplier?

regards

(Good to see you taking the roof off in the sunshine!!)

Nick Graves
21-03-2006, 10:00 AM
It's quite normal to have many shade variations of the same colour .... the last time I checked paintshop mixing codes for Milano Red (R81) there were around 5 different choices!!! :shock:

Out of interest I wonder how much shade difference there is between the (the old) Formula Red and New Formula Red? (used from 2001> on the NSX and S2K)

~Phil.

There is a good reason for that - red paint is the worst for sunlight fading - imagine you've got a 10 YO that's been outdoors all the time, compared to a garage queen.

I would guess from memory that NFR is more of a Ferrari red, whilst FR was more Alfa.

But they've had several shades of red over the years too.

simonprelude
21-03-2006, 12:35 PM
They do seem different shades, as already said red does seem to vary so much from car to car and if you are unlucky can vary in the sunlight from panel to panel :(

Our CRX may well have a quick blow over to restore a natural colour, we will see.

UltraViolet
21-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Are you coming to Gaydon? Perhaps we could park all the reds together to check :wink: No in fairness, red does fade and my car lives in the garage when not being driven. Perhaps we should check paint codes to see if you have a different mix?

There is a chap coming from Wales in his red NSX and it is a daily driver, so if sun is the answer - his should be a similar colour to yours I would imagine. It is an early car - if his is dark despite the daily driver status..... then it would point to the later cars indeed being a lighter shade rather than good ol' Ultra Violet being to blame here...... 8)

Nick Graves
24-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Top tip - park your car under a streetlight at night.

You will be surprised how all the re-sprayed bits go different shades!