PDA

View Full Version : Ignition coil cover seals

Trident
14-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I always wondered why there was only one seal per ignition coil cover. It would have seemed logical to have two as the cover is perfectly symetrical and any water will find it's way to the lowest point. As an experiment I installed two seals on the rear cover. And guess what! Despite washing the car many times, driving in heavy rain, and even leaving the car outside my garage in the rain (bad I know!) there is no hint of water in that area. Any comments?
On a similar subject, I stopped the moisture getting into the rear lights by making new gaskets at virtually no cost.

Senninha
14-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Err .... Clever G*t. :)

NSXGB
14-09-2013, 03:03 PM
IMHO it's a waste of £20. You only need it at the top of the coil cover because that's where the water drips. There is no protection at the sides where a small amount of water could get in but most is stopped at the top and runs down the side of the cam cover - especially with a little silicone grease.

TheSebringOne
14-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Is this a good practical idea Kaz?

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I don’t have the definite answer but I would be surprised if the designer ‘forgot’ to place the 2nd gasket at the lower side of the IG coil cover.
I think it was left without it on purposely.

The upper gasket will prevent the water running down directly to the IG coil head as well as the vent hole that is facing upwards.

By the way, this is the reason why there is a dedicated parts no. for the Front and Rear IG coils despite the fact that they are all the same from electronics point of view and can be installed at any cyl if you ignore the position of the vent hole.

At the side of the valve cover, these is a big drain hole towards the TH body side and considering the incline of the valve cover created by the V-bank angle as well as the mounting angle of the engine against the chassis, it would be better not to have the gasket at the lower side of the coil cover because the gravity will do its job to drain any moisture entered there.

Again, it’s just my personal thoughts.

Kaz