PDA

View Full Version : Nice car...

andystevo
18-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Just contacted RGK Detailing in Central Scotland to have my wife's car valeted while she's on holiday with her pals in the States (couldn't think what to get her for Christmas - I'm sure she'll approve). I remembered Richard taking some photos after cleaning my car in the summer and found this on his website;-

http://www.rgkdetailing.com/blog/wordpress/?p=1429

I know not everyone approves of stripping off sealant etc. but I felt it was detracting from what is otherwise a really clean car. I presume that there are some clear sealants on the market which I could use to re-apply?

The red and black cables wrapped around the clutch reservoir run from my battery for easy connection to an Airflow battery conditioner.

You'll note that some of the black crackle finish paint is flaking off the engine top cover - anyone suggest a suitable supaint make / supplier?

Some other expenditure since buying the car last December;-

Thatcham 1 remote alarm installed.
Timing belt, fluids, filters & spark plugs changed plus valve clearances done by Phoenix Honda (still listed as a NSX dealer but I doubt that they see many nowadays). £1,030 excluding engine oil & filter (minor service done by another Honda dealer prior to sale), including a free hire car for a few days, which I thought was reasonable.
Holes drilled through lower front valance by previous owner (to support large, round driving lights!) filled in and nosecone etc. re-painted by a really good, local bodyshop that I've used in the past. Took a lot of work to match the colour, involving spraying several test cards first, but happy with the end result.
Wheels refurbished. No major damage, just some kerbing, particularly to the nearside rear, I guess due to dodgy parking.

I've spent a fair bit of time with clay bars, a dual action polisher and various Meguiars products with pretty impressive results. I have to say there's hardly a mark on the bodywork and absolutely no scuffs or dents, pretty good for a car not far off it's 13th birthday. And the condition of the interior is incredible - it even smells like a new Japanese car inside each time I open the drivers door, which I somehow find strangely comforting (not quite sure why).

I've got a couple of technical queries but I'll post them separately (nothing too pressing).

Andrew

mjames75
18-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Hi Andrew,

looks nice,

By 'stripping sealant', are you referring to the black under body sealant used in wheel arches etc? There shouldn't be any of this needed in the Engine bay or front compartment. Mostly its used in between panels, in wheel arches and under the car. For a clear sealant, I would recommend Bilt Hambers Dynax UC, its in a spray can and easily applied, only a thin coat is needed and it drys clear and protection is great. For the rubbers in the Engine bay, Aerospace 303 spray and for an exterior sealant easy to apply giving 6 months durability (claims 8) I recommend Gtechniq c2v3 (very cheap at £6 a bottle),

Cheers,

Mike

TheSebringOne
19-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Very clean & yellow!

Phoenix was the only NSX dealership in Scotland? and where mine
originated from.

AR
20-11-2013, 02:24 PM
That's a very clean engine bay!