PDA

View Full Version : Private /Personalised Number Plates

mutley
27-11-2013, 02:07 PM
As spotted in the For Sale section, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. What are peoples feeling on private plates and the cost of them? I know that different numbers mean more to some than others and the prices vary on what people are willing to pay.

As my car already came with a "NSX" number plate (A18 NSX) I din't feel the need to go and buy another one...........until I got rid of my trusty BMW 5 Series and bought my Range Rover Sport. When I bought that car, it too had a personalised plate but the previous owner wanted to keep it, therefore it was put back to it's original DVLA plate. A few months went by, and I hade a look through websites looking at private plates, but with little idea of what I wanted or how much I wanted to spend. Nothing rerally jumped out at me and then I had a lightbulb moment and thought I'd search numbers similar to what I have on my NSX, so I settled for A18 RRS.

To my annnoyance, there were loads that ended in RRS, but I wanted the one that matched my NSX plate by begining with A18. I ended up paying a grand all in (transfer costs etc) but had I gone for something like G24 RRS I could have got it for about £200.

Cheers

Jim

goldtop
27-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I've had a few - all left on cars that I've bought. NSX plates are cheap as chips, so that's one reason.

I wouldn't pay for one though. The other two cars have age-related plates.

manisandher
27-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I've never been into private plates in the past, but went ahead and bought '11 NSX' for my LBB a couple of years ago. On the car it looks like 'll NSX' and I have to say I think it finishes the car off nicely (and wasn't a stupid amount of money IMO). I have absolutely no intention of selling my LBB, but if I were to, I'd definitely hang on to the plate... just in case the new NSX really is something special and I decide I just have to have one...

Mani.

simonprelude
27-11-2013, 06:18 PM
It depends what they say and mean, plus you've got to look at the market.

There were 999 NSX plates available to be issued each year. Of course 1-9 will be worth slightly more than the others. But as "*"999NSX is probably 'worth' the basic personalised plate price then even "*"1NSX should only fetch about £1k at most.

If it means something to you then pay what you want, just don't expect to get it back when you sell it.

I've bought 1, had 1 given and also bought a car with 1.

I still have 1 of them, the others went with the cars at no extra price as they weren't personal to me.

Without trying to offend the poster of the V6 plate.......I think it fits my explanation well.
Unless you're an alien spotter who drives a V6 or UFO are your initials then I can't see it being worth much more than any basic V6"***" or "*"6UFO plate combined, so between £200 and £1000.

A friends grandfather had "***"1 so he was purposely named "***" so he'd get the plate.

I do quite like V6NSX, S1NSX and NSX1 though.

Senninha
27-11-2013, 11:51 PM
I was fortunate that S2 was on my NSX from new and has Senninha alignment too ... Very handy ... It would stay with car if ever sold

ufo has left our orbit ....

Papalazarou
28-11-2013, 07:25 AM
My last NSX had a personalised plate and I was more than happy to see it go. My current car doesn't and I'm glad. The more I think about them, the more rediculous I think they are. I can't think of a single good reason for having one. IMO they're heavily pretentious, expensive, of no aesthetic benefit and in most cases tenuous. I've inherited two NSX plates over the years and found them an embarrassment.

nobby
28-11-2013, 07:51 AM
say how you feel mate! :)

i drift in and out of having an NSX plate on my car ... there is a semi personal plate on the car but thats more to do with the ex owner than anything else. and tbh its not got to the point were it would look odd if it was removed as i feel its a part of the car now and having had the car for close to 4 years. As NI is fairly small, most people know the car now with 'WAR' on it

I was interested in Y11 NSX that was knocking about and the owner was saying be great for a Yellow NSX ... but tbh I dont know if i can really be bothered in spending x hundreds of pounds going through the process and hassle of getting it transferred etc. Those hundreds of pounds can be put towards other NSX related projects which are on-going and I would prefer to sort out and put the cash into. I guess if i had no projects this may be a feature i could look at. But I would guess my attentions would move from the NSX to my new motorbike then! :)

I agree with what James says about 95% of the time, but 5% of me would like an 'NSX' type plate but tbh paying £££'s for something like that is hard to justify. The Government are making a mint of this lark too and there is no sign of the stupid monies being bandied about anytime soon.

But for those of you that have them fair do's ...

My last NSX had a personalised plate and I was more than happy to see it go. My current car doesn't and I'm glad. The more I think about them, the more rediculous I think they are. I can't think of a single good reason for having one. IMO they're heavily pretentious, expensive, of no aesthetic benefit and in most cases tenuous. I've inherited two NSX plates over the years and found them an embarrassment.

scottg
28-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Ive owned V6 NSX and now own NSX 6 and think they look great on the cars. Other things purchased to personalise are not as easy to remove

mjames75
28-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Agree with James most of the time and would not spend silly money but have bought F16 NSX, awesome plate for the NSX and a bargain too!

flyingsniffer
28-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I bought 46GT at a DVLA auction in 2005 for c£5k, to put on my Ford GT. I sold the car a couple of years later but kept the plate (the car went to Germany).

To cut a long story short, I sold the plate last year to my neighbour for his continental GT, for £8.5k plus a drive to the French Alps. So they can be a wise investment.

I agree that tasteful plates look OK, mine now sports Scott's old number.

If you watch the DVLA auctions, some of them go for silly money, mostly ones that mean nothing to me, but presumably they are sought after in certain communities of our broader society (ahem). There's a twitter feed (@DVLAAUCTION) that outlines some of the more interesting auction lots.

I used to know a builder in Derbyshire, his company was called 'Arbsit'. His elderly Rolls Royce had the number ARB51T, which looked quite good. Turns out he bought the car with that number and then changed the name of his company.....

goldtop
28-11-2013, 11:54 AM
One thing I love about the NSX is that most people don't know what it is. The H badge is discreet, and the NSX badges are tiny and easily missed.

All that is a bit undermined by having an NSX plate! (Both mine have them.)

So I'd rather get rid of them, but at the same time, I don't want an age-related plate either. So I would change them for a personalised plate that I liked. But only if it's cheap. And that's not going to happen, so I'm stuck with them. (Cont'd: First World Problems, p97)

28-11-2013, 01:27 PM
My NSX came with a private registration...that has no significant link to the car or previous owner.....I have though recently purchased an NSX plate but it has personal value to me for my birthday and the NSX ....so was a timely christmas present from my wifey:)

NSX 178A.....and on an import the plate has the 'NSX' on the first line too :) with the '178A' on the second line

manisandher
28-11-2013, 01:36 PM
The H badge is discreet, and the NSX badges are tiny and easily missed.

The main reason why I like my plate, identifying the car clearly.

Mani.

Alf Tupper
28-11-2013, 06:13 PM
The main reason why I like my plate, identifying the car clearly.

Mani.

I'm with goldtop on this one, I like the stealth factor of the NSX. Nothing against personalised plates though, they're just a bit of fun.

mjames75
28-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm with goldtop on this one, I like the stealth factor of the NSX. Nothing against personalised plates though, they're just a bit of fun.

also like the stealth factor, even though my plate says NSX, still amazes me when people ask me what it is!!

TheSebringOne
28-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Each to their own, some people like private plates & some don't! :)

Personally I don't mind them.

Nick Graves
28-11-2013, 11:45 PM
I bought 46GT at a DVLA auction in 2005 for c£5k, to put on my Ford GT. I sold the car a couple of years later but kept the plate (the car went to Germany).

To cut a long story short, I sold the plate last year to my neighbour for his continental GT, for £8.5k plus a drive to the French Alps. So they can be a wise investment.

I agree that tasteful plates look OK, mine now sports Scott's old number.

If you watch the DVLA auctions, some of them go for silly money, mostly ones that mean nothing to me, but presumably they are sought after in certain communities of our broader society (ahem). There's a twitter feed (@DVLAAUCTION) that outlines some of the more interesting auction lots.

I used to know a builder in Derbyshire, his company was called 'Arbsit'. His elderly Rolls Royce had the number ARB51T, which looked quite good. Turns out he bought the car with that number and then changed the name of his company.....

I had a client who registered SELIX Trading Ltd, because that came with an Audi 100.

I'm thinking of changing my name by deed poll - to BN09URJ. That'll save pounds...

I normally dislike personal names on plates as they are usually lame, but some car-related (such as THE 928S or 250 GTO) are dead cool. And anything NSX seems too much of an opportunity to miss.

Rob_Fenn
29-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't like cheap or contrived ones. I do actually think there is an aesthetic benefit; the less numbers or letters, the better! Just gives the car a cleaner look.

I would love 'NSX 1' or something like '85 NSX' to denote my date of birth. I have a few plates like this as potential investments.

simonprelude
02-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't like cheap or contrived ones. I do actually think there is an aesthetic benefit; the less numbers or letters, the better! Just gives the car a cleaner look.

I would love 'NSX 1' or something like '85 NSX' to denote my date of birth. I have a few plates like this as potential investments.

The price Dale was selling NSX1 for was a steal versus the price the dealers now have it up for.
Think I could have bought the plate and car for less.

manisandher
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
The price Dale was selling NSX1 for was a steal versus the price the dealers now have it up for.
Think I could have bought the plate and car for less.

Regtransfers has this up for £23,495. Definitely a lot of money. But for someone willing to spend ~£100K on a new NSX, maybe spending this sort of money for, let's face it, the best plate available, might be considered feasible. Especially if one takes the view that Honda will commit to the 'NSX' brand going forward. I dunno. Does anyone know how much something like 'GTR 1' or '911 C4' have sold for in the past or are worth today?

Just out of interest, how much was the previous owner (Dale?) asking for it?

Mani.

manisandher
02-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know how much something like 'GTR 1' or '911 C4' have sold for in the past or are worth today?

Haha, Regtransfers has 'GTR 1' up for £185K!

Mani.

Nick Graves
02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
They're definitely an inflation hedge, that's for sure. Anything truly class (K1 NGS, K4 REN, COM 1C, etc) in one of those investment for the sake of investment things - like fine wines or whatever.

Those curlique contrived ones on a council house Merc aren't.

simonprelude
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
S1MON is still on the same car it was first assigned to.

WhyOne?
04-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I hated these things with the vengeance of Papalazarou for many years, but my attitude softened when my wife bought me S2X00 (for my S2000) as a birthday present.

When I sold the car, the new owner didn't want the plate, so I sold it for 100% more than it was bought for.

Y1 NSX was in place when I bought the car, and I like it. As and when the car moves on, the plate will stay with the car where it belongs.

Still can't be doing with non-car specific plates though.

Hagasan
27-01-2014, 11:14 PM
HI Ian,

not fancy Y11 NSX for sale on Ebay for when you get that second NSX or just a fleet "identifier"

I hated these things with the vengeance of Papalazarou for many years, but my attitude softened when my wife bought me S2X00 (for my S2000) as a birthday present.

When I sold the car, the new owner didn't want the plate, so I sold it for 100% more than it was bought for.

Y1 NSX was in place when I bought the car, and I like it. As and when the car moves on, the plate will stay with the car where it belongs.

Still can't be doing with non-car specific plates though.

WhyOne?
28-01-2014, 10:59 AM
HI Ian,

not fancy Y11 NSX for sale on Ebay for when you get that second NSX or just a fleet "identifier"

Hello Gary - long time, no type!

I am struggling to use 1 NSX to any sensible degree, a second could be a seriously difficult 'sell' to SWMBO!

Nice idea though....

Series11NSX
08-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I used to be into Cherished No Plates, and bought one for my NSX - S11 NSX, which was great for the 2nd gen....but sold my car without it on. Now left with an unused plate. :(

TheSebringOne
08-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Buy another NSX to put it back on :D

sorepaws
18-02-2014, 09:33 PM
NSX 10 for sale in the DVLA Auction
http://www.dvlaauction.co.uk/index.php/registration-search/?regsearch=lin&submit=Submit

Senninha
19-02-2014, 04:09 PM
NSX 10 for sale in the DVLA Auction
http://www.dvlaauction.co.uk/index.php/registration-search/?regsearch=lin&submit=Submit

Had mine not be 'born' with S2NSX then this is the style I would look to add as IMHO it adds to classic by removing the age of the individual car ... reasonbaly priced too ...

Problem Child
20-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Had mine not be 'born' with S2NSX then this is the style I would look to add as IMHO it adds to classic by removing the age of the individual car ... reasonbaly priced too ...

Whilst mine wasnt born with S21 NSX, I agree with Senninha that it adds to the look by removing the age. Mine is only relevant to the car as S is for the year 1998, 21 is for the last 2 numbers on its ID and NSX for.....

goldtop
20-02-2014, 02:18 PM
If I was to give up my 'NSX' plate, it'd only be to get "WTF 151T" as that's the #1 question prompted by the car.

NSX100
20-02-2014, 02:35 PM
If I was to give up my 'NSX' plate, it'd only be to get "WTF 151T" as that's the #1 question prompted by the car.

Perfect! The one advantage of having an NSX plate.

Although I do wonder how often the people who, when I am happily cruising down the M6, race up behind me to see WTF has just passed them before dropping away again, know what the plate means??

britlude
20-02-2014, 05:46 PM
well mine came with a normal plate, though it's had about 3 'private' plates on it prior to me. a short plate would be nice to fit in the JDM bumper cut out on the back!

still the J5 is close enough to JS for me, the 99 should really be a 92 if you're going to be picky, and the XFS is just an F in excess ;)

27-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Oh dear lost out bidding on "Nsx 10" on DVLA auction lol

27-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Did manage to get a plate for the mrs birthday present...so ain't too bad :)

NSX100
28-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Did manage to get a plate for the mrs birthday present...so ain't too bad :)

So what did it go for......mine has one extra zero so just checking?!

AR
28-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Besides ITALICS and other fancy letters I dislike a car specific plate on another model. I think I saw one that read His M5 or something like that on a people carrier!

28-02-2014, 08:22 PM
So what did it go for......mine has one extra zero so just checking?!It went for £1700 with fees on top comes to about £2300

flyingsniffer
10-06-2014, 04:14 PM
C30NSX in the upcoming DVLA timed auction - maybe for a nerdy NA1 owner?

NSX22 also coming up in the next live auction

flyingsniffer
23-07-2014, 01:48 PM
NSX22 sold for £1100

C30NSX £250

Both pretty cheap, but reflects the limited market. But maybe there will be an upturn when the new model gets closer and people order.

2NSX marked up for a future auction. NSX2 sold for £2600 in 2001.

Mistercorn
23-07-2014, 02:57 PM
A lot of the NSXs I have seen come with standard plates which I wouldn't want to change, usually letter, single digit, NSX. So a very limited market I suspect.

MC

NSXGB
23-07-2014, 03:24 PM
NSX22 sold for £1100

C30NSX £250

Both pretty cheap, but reflects the limited market. But maybe there will be an upturn when the new model gets closer and people order.

2NSX marked up for a future auction. NSX2 sold for £2600 in 2001.

I bagged the C30 NSX plate. I only put in the opening bid...

All prices plus VAT by the way!

Papalazarou
23-07-2014, 03:27 PM
I have X5NSX on my current car. As discussed, I'm not a great fan of them. But at least it's only on the rear;-)

Lankstarr
30-07-2014, 09:14 PM
S5 NSX was only £250 all in, been on both of my cars.

REcently bought 7 LJJ in auction for 2500, pretty good as it's my initials and my lucky number/birthday! I have a couple of other plates as well but with not enough cars to put them on i'll let one go with the next car change H9T HJ, pretty worthless and cool for my wife if we illegally space with a screw. Also let another plate lapse on the third NSX bought **N 5X which again needed illegal spacing. After being pulled for illegal spacing I'm steering clear!

L*

Mistercorn
30-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Even with letter and single digit there are more combinations than there are NSXs in the country, or there abouts. Not many people have a surname starting with X so it sounds like a buyers market.

MC