PDA

View Full Version : NA1 - R Brakes & Seats

leong
21-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Hi,

Wish to find out if anyone can help me out with these queries;

I have seen a NA1 - R with blank front disc rotors and slotted rear disc rotors. Is this correct ? What should the OE rotors be, blank or slotted ? In addition this car did NOT have the front disc rotor mudguard fitted, was this standard ?
this NA1 - R actually has NA2 - R seats fitted. Does anyone know where I can find a set of NA1 - R covers (I understand that the shells are identical) or the materila to get the seats re-covered correctly ?

Thanks.

Leong

Tokyo-Joe
21-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I believe Honda JPN sells the seat covers but the cost is ridiculous. I know Frank Spano in New York used to own a set of authentic covers which he put over his KITE garage replica shells. I would give him a PM over on NSX Prime.

leong
21-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I believe Honda JPN sells the seat covers but the cost is ridiculous. I know Frank Spano in New York used to own a set of authentic covers which he put over his KITE garage replica shells. I would give him a PM over on NSX Prime.

OK thanks. Just emailed him.

Leong

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi, Leong.

For NA1 Type-R, both the front and rear brake disc were nothing special.
Exactly the same one used on the standard model and it’s the plain (blank) design.

Not sure which parts you are referring to as the ‘mudguard’ but if you are talking about the round thin metal disc just behind the brake disc (splash guard), then there were several vent holes added at the front brake for Type-R initially, but it eventually became as the standard parts for all later spec models.
So, you should see the vented later spec one on Type-R.
I know some owners using their NSX regularly on track removed this but it will require extra protection around the rubber boot at the ball joint.

If you are talking about the triangle like aero deflector (plate, air intake) bolted on the lower A-arm at the front suspension, then it is the same parts as on the standard model and the Type-R had it from the factory.
I think some of the owners here on NSXCB are using the ones from Porsche.

Regarding the seat cover/trim........
I don’t know whether the shell is the same between the NA1 Type-R and NA2 NSX-R but unfortunately, Honda didn’t sell the fleece like NA1 seat covers as separated parts.
For NA2 NSX-R, you can buy that meshed cloth like cover/trim separately.
They are separated in multiple pieces and you don’t want to know the price if you are looking for them covering the both seats.
You will be able to buy a certain used car for the price of these covers......
For example, it will be more than the UK price of used Mk1 MX5....

You can go for the aftermarket parts but you may struggle recovering the original pressure distribution if your sponge/support materials were already tired.
OEM ones were designed based on the specific pressure distribution analysis.
If you can get hold of NA2 NSX-R seats and if you can fit your body fine, then it's one of the most comfortable seat for the long distance driving.

Kaz

leong
01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi Kaz,

Many thanks. Wish to see if you can help me with another query .....

As far as I am aware all NA1 R's had black rear damper tower bars, black cylinder head covers and black intake manifold covers. I checked with Hirofumi of NSX Club Japan and also Route KS and they confirmed this.

I have recently seen 2 NA1 R's where the above parts are in red, one of these cars at http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU2073205911/index.html?TRCD=200002 and the other I have seen in the flesh (I have a photo but it is too large to post, if you send me your email address I will email it to you). After seeing the first car I thought that a previosu owner may have painted these items but with the second car now I am not sure.
Both cars are chassis number 130 series cars, i.e. last of the NA1 R's, one car being 422 and the other 45something. Can you shed any light on this ?

Thanks.

Leong

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Hi, Leong.

The rear damper tower bar stayed in black throughout the production ending in 2005.
Unless it was NSX-T (black triangle brace), it was removed from the later Coupe model except for the NA2 NSX-R.
So both the NA1 Type-R and NA2 NSX-R were equipped with the black tower bar.
If it was in red, then it was painted by someone and not at the factory.
I'm not aware of the OEM red one even for an OEM accessory or through the 'Re-fresh' program.

The intake manifold cover (excluding the flat plastic cover plate) stayed in black (except on later model, you will see the silver text logo
‘DOHC VTEC’ on the manifold cover body itself and not on the flat plastic cover plate) throughout the production ending in 2005 except for the NA2 NSX-R.
NSX-R was equipped with the red one with silver ‘DOHC VTEC’ logo on it, same colour finish as the red valve/head cover.
Therefore, the intake manifold cover on NA1 Type-R stayed in black.

The valve/head cover stayed in black until the changes in the blowby gas passage from 1997.
This was when the red valve/head cover was introduced for both the C30A and C32B engines.

Looking at the Type-R car you mentioned, being as NA1-130 type, it was the 1995 model and it would have been a DBW car if it was a standard coupe model.
However, NA1 Type-R stayed as the TH cable non-DBW driven so it still had EACV, etc and kept the same blowby gas passage as the black valve/head cover.

If you carefully look at the photo of the engine room through the link in your post, you can clearly see some modifications carried out for the blowby gas passage on both front and rear valve/head covers.
Also, there is no ‘DOHC VTEC’ logo on the intake manifold cover which means it’s not the later spec one.

Based on the above facts,
a: the intake manifold cover was painted in red by someone.

b: both valve/head covers were very likely to be replaced with the later spec red ones with the modifications to the blowby gas passage in order to accommodate the original TH body area layout.

c: not sure why the IG coil covers were replaced with the old/original design ones and not the taller one that was introduced from 1995 onwards.

Kaz

leong
02-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Hi Kaz,

Thanks.

Leong

Rob_Fenn
09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Perhaps a long shot, but with the seats it may be worth talking to Capital Seating. They provide Recaro seats and parts for a range of OEM cars, and even list the JDM EK9 Civic. Whilst you may struggle to get genuine NSX-R parts, you could at least perhaps source more details on other Type R models (Civic, Integra) which may use the same red fabric?