PDA

View Full Version : Things you never see

Papalazarou
05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Haven't seen this for a while. I guess the dealers have finally realised what the late cars are making. I wonder what they'd be up for in the spring.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-coupe/1968804

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-2-door-3-2i/1217796

Geraint
05-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Are they your old cars? :)

Senninha
05-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Haven't seen this for a while. I guess the dealers have finally realised what the late cars are making. I wonder what they'd be up for in the spring.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-coupe/1968804

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-2-door-3-2i/1217796

the IOP is keeping some lovely company ...

nobby
05-01-2014, 07:45 PM
interesting ...
would love to be in the position to buy either
red one was/is an owners on here was it not?
the gear knob looks familiar ...

Rob_Fenn
06-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Surely the IOP was the same car which was being sold privately before Christmas? I'd assume it is just a P/X the dealer was more than happy to have!

Papalazarou
06-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Are they your old cars? :)

No, not mine. The IOP I had was a targa and the last red car I sold was a 2003. I've got a low mileage 2004 coupe now.
Geraint, have you still got the targa?

Cheers.

manisandher
06-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Well, the red is off Pistonheads already. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already sold... from a reputable dealer... for that sort of price... for a '05 plate! Personally, I'm surprised the IOP hasn't gone yet.

Mani.

Papalazarou
06-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Well, the red is off Pistonheads already. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already sold... from a reputable dealer... for that sort of price... for a '05 plate! Personally, I'm surprised the IOP hasn't gone yet.

Mani.

Perhaps they withdrew it to increase the price. Either way, there are a number of people looking for late cars specifically and there isn't a whole lot of choice.
How many actually sold through the classified in the last twelve months?

Cheers.

Geraint
06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I've got a low mileage 2004 coupe now.
Geraint, have you still got the targa?

Sounds nice, dependent on colour of course. Is it crash blue, by any chance? :)
Yep still got the purple fella. It's been on SORN since I moved, but now that we're more or less settled in, I'm planning a few odd jobs on it then back on the road this summer.
Be great to catch up soon!

Papalazarou
06-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Sounds nice, dependent on colour of course. Is it crash blue, by any chance? :)
Yep still got the purple fella. It's been on SORN since I moved, but now that we're more or less settled in, I'm planning a few odd jobs on it then back on the road this summer.
Be great to catch up soon!

No not crash blue;-) it's another red one. If I didn't have the red one I'd probably have made an offer on the orange one. I keep meaning to buy something else. But I always end up with another NSX. Sometimes on purpose. Sometimes because a car comes up for sale, I'm bored and car-less so I go and take a look, and the next minute I'm driving it home.
If I could find another blue facelift I'd hold onto it. It's a personal thing, but I really like the way the colour works on the NSX.
However, these days I think you're lucky if you own a good straight NSX, regardless of model year, variant or colour.

Definitely catch up.

Cheers.

havoc
06-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Saw those at lunch today, does make pleasant reading...makes me partly wish I'd stretched to afford PW52 - Ian and Sharon's current steed. That's gotta be close to being a £40k car now...

Rob_Fenn
07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Certainly kicking myself at not getting a facelift a few years back now! As said, the red one has already gone at healthy money considering it had more than garage queen miles. I suppose the dealer assurance always adds a bit though.

Think i'll wait for Senna-mania to die down a bit and see how things go later in the year. Picking up a Turbo S on Thursday (feel better about paying for a car that has depreciated over 40%!) but would drop it in a heart beat for my faves of the Final 12: pearlescent white, pearlescent red or Paul's black one.

goldtop
07-01-2014, 01:01 PM
my faves of the Final 12: pearlescent white, pearlescent red or Paul's black one.

On that subject, do we know if the JDM market got any special run-out NSXs? I presume there must have been something to mark the occasion.

Rob_Fenn
07-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Hmm... doubt it, bear in mind you had the whole Customisation programme in Japan (where the final 12 colours were taken from) there was a lot you could already do in terms of options which we couldn't get over here.

Wouldn't be surprise if they did a nice model or keyring though!

Papalazarou
07-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Certainly kicking myself at not getting a facelift a few years back now! As said, the red one has already gone at healthy money considering it had more than garage queen miles. I suppose the dealer assurance always adds a bit though.

Think i'll wait for Senna-mania to die down a bit and see how things go later in the year. Picking up a Turbo S on Thursday (feel better about paying for a car that has depreciated over 40%!) but would drop it in a heart beat for my faves of the Final 12: pearlescent white, pearlescent red or Paul's black one.

Unfortunately, I think the longer you wait the higher prices will rise. They've still got a way to go before they get anywhere near JDM prices, and that's before you've taxed and imported.

Cheers.

lotusolly
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Saw those at lunch today, does make pleasant reading...makes me partly wish I'd stretched to afford PW52 - Ian and Sharon's current steed. That's gotta be close to being a £40k car now...

I would have thought any tidy well maintained, manual, facelift car with reasonable mileage would sell at £50k+. Don't know of a good facelift car that has sold for less in the last couple of years, even the early ones!

Olly

Rob_Fenn
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately, I think the longer you wait the higher prices will rise. They've still got a way to go before they get anywhere near JDM prices, and that's before you've taxed and imported.

Cheers.

Getting close though. A 2005 Type S on Car Sensor £73k (before importing) represents good value in my eyes. There is a yellow facelift on there for £63k - not quite the disparity there once was.

It would be great to talk to people who buy the cars; are they first time buyers / repeat owners / colectors / investors?

And as demonstration of supply and demand, you can still get a tidy facelift in the US for the equivalent of £40k or less... if only!

NZNick
07-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Closer (for me) but no cigar.....http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU2437331760/index.html?TRCD=200002 only 29k Kms / 18k miles - nice leather and door inserts, just wrong colour. Not keen on the bling-finish wheels. Still big money compared to the UK, but not as steep as before.

That white 2005 Type S has only done 700kms, so virtually as-new !!

Papalazarou
07-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Getting close though. A 2005 Type S on Car Sensor £73k (before importing) represents good value in my eyes. There is a yellow facelift on there for £63k - not quite the disparity there once was.

It would be great to talk to people who buy the cars; are they first time buyers / repeat owners / colectors / investors?

And as demonstration of supply and demand, you can still get a tidy facelift in the US for the equivalent of £40k or less... if only!

I don't think I've looked as hard as you;-). Certainly the last time I looked, there was still a sizeable gap. I guess for many it seems like a hassle to import an unknown quantity. I've seen a lot of damage repaired JDM cars in the UK. However, if your agent knows his stuff, it's certainly worth a look.
The LHD market's interesting; if you could put up with having the steering wheel on the wrong side and prefer a targa, there's certainly more of a choice. You might even be able to find a Zanardi?
Still, if you've got to have a facelift, I think you've just got to be quick and flexible on colour/spec. My tactic is to buy what's available until I get a chance to buy the car I really want. Hopefully number eight will be the keeper.

Cheers.

TheSebringOne
12-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Does anyone know of this car?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401110959224/sort/default/usedcars/model/nsx/radius/1500/postcode/m287xy/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/honda?logcode=p

goldtop
12-01-2014, 11:13 AM
JDM import? Odd to put a 2000 car on an uninteresting M-plate! 3.0. I presume it's older. Looks good value on the face of it.

lotusolly
12-01-2014, 11:31 AM
looking at the centre console I would say that car is pre 95, 2000 was probably the import date.

Olly

TheSebringOne
12-01-2014, 11:45 AM
I did not know the centre console was different on pre 1995 & thought it was 02+?

I think the big giveaway that it's a import is the rear number plate.

NSXGB
12-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I did not know the centre console was different on pre 1995 & thought it was 02+?

I think the big giveaway that it's a import is the rear number plate.

Early models had a single lid arm rest / centre console.

Lack of slugs on the nose cone is a big clue too.

nobby
12-01-2014, 02:27 PM
My car is 94 JDM and has the split centre console

Sudesh
12-01-2014, 05:22 PM
The red M reg car, is around 1991/92 from what I can see.

goldtop
12-01-2014, 09:12 PM

In that case, DVLA c*cked up when registering it. Unlikely to have been imported as a previously-unregistered JDM car, no?

Dimer
13-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Anybody noticed the weird Honda logo placement on the red 2005?

havoc
13-01-2014, 02:27 PM

That was my assessment too, from what I could see, despite the NA2 gearstick. Still, an early JDM car might have the desirable combination of non-PAS steering but with the shorter 1st and 2nd gears fitted to '94+ NA1s in the UK.

Aftermarket wheels are either wider than standard or have the wrong offset, too!

Sudesh
13-01-2014, 03:46 PM
That was my assessment too, from what I could see, despite the NA2 gearstick. Still, an early JDM car might have the desirable combination of non-PAS steering but with the shorter 1st and 2nd gears fitted to '94+ NA1s in the UK.

Aftermarket wheels are either wider than standard or have the wrong offset, too!

The gear knob is not NA2, it looks like a genuine NSX-R one.

Certainly no pas and short ratios is much nicer to drive in my opinion.

Sudesh
13-01-2014, 03:51 PM
In that case, DVLA c*cked up when registering it. Unlikely to have been imported as a previously-unregistered JDM car, no?

No it wasn't an unregistered car, it was imported and first registered in the UK in January 2000, but was a assigned a model/year of 1994 [which it isnt]

M988UJH was the original reg it was given in 2000, it also was registered as 2MY, KJ86 and RLH8 at a time.

Sudesh
13-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I just noticed the sill plate on the car, it's a 1991 going by the number on the plate.

Papalazarou
13-01-2014, 06:40 PM
There's quite a few misregistered early cars floating about. I guess the late 90's was still a viable time to import cars from Japan at half reasonable prices. Anyway, easily recognisable as an early car, despite the wheels.

Cheers.

Geraint
13-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Interestingly the pound has been strengthening against the Yen, it's now around 170 compared to the 120-140 level it seemed to have been stuck at for the last 5 years or so.

Papalazarou
14-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Interestingly the pound has been strengthening against the Yen, it's now around 170 compared to the 120-140 level it seemed to have been stuck at for the last 5 years or so.

I'd noticed that too. Still a long way from the 240 days though. Still, it has to make some stuff more viable. The other thing I've noticed is how much price disparity there seems to be between different Japanese sellers.

Cheers.

NZNick
14-01-2014, 06:32 PM
A bit off-topic, and not for one second am I making a link between this and the 1991 / 1994 / 2000 car above - I found this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1454384.stm and this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1456337.stm which I had not heard about before. Did it affect anyone?

Papalazarou
14-01-2014, 07:51 PM
A bit off-topic, and not for one second am I making a link between this and the 1991 / 1994 / 2000 car above - I found this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1454384.stm and this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1456337.stm which I had not heard about before. Did it affect anyone?

Just read the article. You really couldn't make it up;-)

I quote;

"In the programme, reporter Quentin Wilson poses as a crooked car salesman and meets a car dealer who boasts he can supply 30 or 40 Toyota Landcruiser cars at a time."

Just out of interest. What did he have to do to pose as a crooked car salesman?

Cheers.

NZNick
14-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Turn his collar up?

NZNick
14-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Anybody noticed the weird Honda logo placement on the red 2005?

Yes, it is too high - too near the windscreen by about 5-10cm. Wonder why?

goldtop
14-01-2014, 09:07 PM
I wasn't affected but might easily have been - I'd imported a GT-R (R33) via Sharjah, which is Dubai's neighbour, just before this whole stolen-in-Japan thing blew up. When car hunting, I did just miss out on a midnight pearl NSX for approx £10-12000 (this was a mid-90s car in 1999). Pretty sure that one came to the UK.

"In the programme, reporter Quentin Wilson poses as a crooked car salesman and meets a car dealer who boasts he can supply 30 or 40 Toyota Landcruiser cars at a time."

Just out of interest. What did he have to do to pose as a crooked car salesman?

I thought the exact same thing. :D