PDA

View Full Version : Mugen M7 wheels - sourcing in Japan

goldtop
12-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm off to Japan again for a couple of weeks in May and this time I'm getting together a proper shopping list. (Last time, all I got was an NSX magazine and a toy NSX in the Tochigi police livery!)

Anyway, I've developed a hankering for the M7 Mugen wheels, and everywhere I look in the West, they are so sought after that they are hardly ever available. So I'm asking kind forumites who have links to relevant contacts in Japan if they have any suggestions for suppliers that might be a potential source.

Failing that, does anyone know of an M7 clone in NSX sizes?

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-01-2014, 12:36 PM
For the aftermarket parts, (有)平野タイヤ商会 (Hirano Tire) is very popular based on the feedback on many car forums in Japan.

http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/

When I was in Japan, I bought several parts from them and had no issues.
They seemed to be able to offer good price as well.
Although I have never used it, their web page shows that they have international delivery department so someone should be able to speak English.
May be contact them for the quote???

Alternatively, some of the Japanese owners (not NSX) of Honda cars went for the Rota wheels J-Mag series wheel.

http://www.rotawheels.com/wheel.php?id=51 (http://www.rotawheels.com/wheel.php?id=51)

Apparently, it’s a copy of Mugen M7 and although it has many studs around the rim like on 2-piece construction, it’s not and just 1-piece with mock-up/imitation studs.

I don't know what tyre spec you are going to use so don't know whether they have the correct wheel size or not.
As always, for any aftermarket parts, please carry out some research on the quality, safety, etc on the wheels from this company.

Kaz

goldtop
14-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Once again, Kaz, thanks for sharing so much information. I had not seen or heard about the Rota J-Mags before. If I go for those (in other words, if I fail to find some genuine NSX-spec M7s in Japan), I need to educate myself a little on what would be the best equivalent from the Rota range.

Because I don't think they do an exact like-for-like version of the standard 16x7 and 17x8.5 wheels? Offsets mentioned there are e40/e50 respectively, but the NSX Prime wiki says OEM wheels are 55/60 respectively. Is that where spacers (15mm, I presume) are required...

(Can you tell, I'm a wheel-swapping newbie?)

ChrisR
15-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Please don't put Rotas on an NSX!!!

Chris.

Senninha
15-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Talk to member drmikey ... Has a build thread for his MP Targa ... And is a Rota dealer

goldtop
16-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Please don't put Rotas on an NSX!!!

Chris.

Why not? There are many Rotas, and while I don't like some of them, the J-mag that Kaz linked to is a pretty close (cosmetic) replica of the M7 to my eyes. The triangular cut-outs in the M7s appear to be slightly smaller and the central ring slightly bigger in the M7s. (But that may be me comparing different sizes.)

If I were to encounter one of those potholes, I'd rather do it with a J-mag than an M7. :)

The Rota site doesn't give weights, and I'm still looking for the OEM and M7 wheel weights. Because I'd rather not go heavier than OEM.

Thanks - Senninha, will do.