PDA

View Full Version : Imports - What needs to be changed

Rob_Fenn
28-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys,

Do (facelift) JDM cars come an in-built foglight, as per UK cars? Also, i assume the JDM headlights are HID like the UK cars and would therefore fail...and need UK spec replacements?

Finally, how do US parts compare - would they be appropriate for a UK conversion?

Cheers,
Rob

Sudesh
29-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Hi Rob,

NO JDM import from any manufacturer that I'm aware of, comes with a fog light.

On the NSX, you have dual reverse instead of 1 fog 1 revers like the UK cars. So best thing and neatest thing to do is, convert the drivers side reverse light to a fog light, and use a red bulb. I do a nice simple setup that allows you to keep the dual reverse, but also allows you to switch over to a fog for MOT purpose or when ever it's needed, [most owners probably never use the fog until MOT time anyway]

Any of the facelift models I looked at in Japan had the HID, so I'm guessing it's standard, not 100% on that though.

You will really be at the mercy of your MOT man on that subject too. I had a JDM vehicle go through MOT a few weeks ago that has HID fitted as standard, I argued that this is the way the vehicle was built and you simply can't just stick a normal bulb in there as factory fitted hid uses different fittings and mounting in the lamp. Guy was very nice and understood the situation, vehicle passed ok.

US headlight won't be compatible as far as I'm aware, mainly because they point in the opposite direction.

Only other thing you might want to check, but again I have seen them pass many times in the UK is, the dual display of your speedo. JDM will show and read in KPH, over here in N.Ireland, MOT is much more strict, and cars will fail without dual display, but in the UK it didn't seem to matter.

If I was doing this in the UK, I'd simply get the fog installed, then just take the car for its MOT and see if it passes, cheaper this way first!

Hi Guys,

Do (facelift) JDM cars come an in-built foglight, as per UK cars? Also, i assume the JDM headlights are HID like the UK cars and would therefore fail...and need UK spec replacements?

Finally, how do US parts compare - would they be appropriate for a UK conversion?

Cheers,
Rob