PDA

View Full Version : NSX mentioned on PH

TheSebringOne
07-02-2014, 08:37 PM
The NSX is mentioned at the bottom of the new GT3 article about not having a manual gearbox.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29388

andystevo
08-02-2014, 06:01 PM
That's my car in the linked article.

Problem Child
08-02-2014, 07:20 PM
That's my car in the linked article.

Nice looking car, and I think the "failure" comment is undeserved

Papalazarou
09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Nice looking car, and I think the "failure" comment is undeserved

It's sloppy journalism IMO. It's unclear why he thinks it's a failure and it's all a bit vague. It's a shame because I've always liked the reviews Chris Harris has done. This smacks of a Friday afternoon rush piece. The paddle shift article was good though.

Cheers.

NSX100
10-02-2014, 09:58 AM
It's sloppy journalism IMO. It's unclear why he thinks it's a failure and it's all a bit vague. It's a shame because I've always liked the reviews Chris Harris has done. This smacks of a Friday afternoon rush piece. The paddle shift article was good though.

Cheers.

The NSX was a "failure". A commercial failure and that is the point he is making. How many 348s were made and sold? How many NSXs? Exactly and that is his point - a vastly superior car that didn't sell. Why? Because your average punter with 100 grand to spend fancied himself in a Ferrari not a Honda. Any true car aficionado knows that the NSX is technically a brilliant car but those aficionados were not buying NSXs.

My objection is to his comment that the NSX is a handful when pushed hard. News to me.

Nick Graves
10-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I got the feeling Monkey was preluding to Honda's utter failure to pick up and run with the car; it actually sold quite well in the US in its first few years. Albeit, it never met expectations.

When Ferrari changed their underwear & developed the 355, it seems the market swung back in their direction & Hondura more-or-less gave up.

I disagree about the 'trick at limits' bit - it telegraphs the impending break-away far better than the S2000 ( maybe he was thinking of that when writing) and is thus easier to catch, unless you are completely over-driving the poor thing.

Also, although we know that through hacks' eyes Porsches are more perfect than the most perfect thing in the universe, the elephant is that when they let go, they are also beyond the remit of most mortals to rescue. People have even reversed Elises into hedges, too.

And we all know the -R's track times really aren't too shabby today, if the roadgoing version is too comfortable & slow for heroes.

Papalazarou
10-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Agree Nick,

The ambiguity I saw was whether he perceived the car as a failure commercially for one or all of the reasons stated, or dynamically.
Regarding being tricky at the limit. I've had a few interesting moments in NSX's over the years. The one I crashed a number of years back, I put down to three factors; being unlucky, incredibly wet conditions on a very slippery track, so perhaps some stupidity in there. And severe snap oversteer. My other track excursions in the dry have been fantastic. Only in standard cars, so the normal issues; terrible brakes, tyres going off quickly when driven hard and lack of torque on those marginal 2nd/3rd gear corners. But those issues are very easy to fix. And despite this the cars always felt predictable and confident throughout. Obviously fantastic gear change and engine note throughout.
On the road however, apart from pushing the front on a bit. It's an outstanding car. Just very well balanced.

AR
10-02-2014, 05:56 PM
It appears that judgement is already being passed on the next gen NSX looking at some posts from across the pond! It is so easy to criticise Honda and praise etc. My main criticisms of the NSX is that Honda failed to significantly improve it or offer tasty models in the UK over a 15 year period.

TheSebringOne
10-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I didn't think his article was too critical as he also praises the car. Firstly he said we should drive one for the gearbox experience,
that he is a sort of fan & that it's engineering was exceptional. I think his conclusions sums up the fact he likes the car?

These are beautiful pieces of engineering though. Robust, easy to drive, dripping with interest and a perfect machine to cherish and appreciate. Best of all, whatever Honda does next, it is unlikely to smoulder for 20 years with the legacy of Senna.